The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

University of Bristol applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HanElinor
Hi, I'm in the EXACT same situation as you! I'm a girl who goes to one of the worst state schools in Wales and being around people from private schools is what is going to worry me most! I guess people will just change and be more accepting of others in uni (at least I hope!). If not, we at least have each other 😂
Also, I'm really not into partying every night either!

Hello :smile:

I'm replying to you guys but its really just a general reply to anyone with these worries. I honestly find it quite upsetting, I go to a private school, but it is because I was not smart enough at the time to get into grammar schools and I think many state schools are amazing with so much better facilities than my school and a bigger approach on life and life paths but the state schools near me are too far from my house and I was too low down on their application list (I would have to wait until like year 11 to get a place - I was 411 on the list!!) But now from all this private school shaming - its making me quite nervous that anyone not from private school will automatically pass me off as a snobby girl who is up herself - when that's far from what I am.

My parents made huge sacrifices for me, especially during the recession - I offered to move many a time - but for me it was an environment I thrived in, so they gave up things to send me there. you will often find with the majority of private school people, who don't go to the very very elite ones, but the ones you actually haven't heard of we are down to earth and understand what it is to work hard - it is not because we are pushed more, as someone said above in this thread, but instead I work so hard for me and to give back to my parents in pride - what I know they have given to me.

Give people a chance before you decide you don't want to be friends with them - my year has a very large range of girls from all different background and personalities.

This isn't directed at you but just generally felt like I wanted to not only reassure you but I want to know that I can make friends with anyone, I honestly don't care what school you have gone to, it will be more for me that we would all be at Bristol together - something we would have all worked very HARD for, no matter what the school.

Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by dodo15

But now from all this private school shaming - its making me quite nervous that anyone not from private school will automatically pass me off as a snobby girl who is up herself - when that's far from what I am.

Honestly, I think the private school shaming comes from 'snobbier people tend to have come from a private school', rather than 'all people from private schools are snobby'.
I definitely know this is not the case because I often forget that people I am close friends with went to a private school before coming to my school because there's nothing about them that says 'I went to a private school'. They are just as nice as everyone else and I'm sure you are too. :smile:
Also, I don't mean to say that all snobby people come from private schools. I couldn't possibly say - I don't know many snobby people.
Oscar
AS/A2 subjects: Music, English Literature, Early History, Philosophy (plan on dropping history)
Finding out AS/A2 grades in August
Course applying for: Music (I need ABB)
So guys which hall/accommodation is the most social, I've heard a lot about Hiatt Baker but I'm having trouble deciding?
'Social' depends on the mix of residents in any one year, and ultimately its whats your year makes it, not the previous year. Choose on facilities, price, position and the other practical stuff. The social stuff will happen wherever you are.
On the website it say the Orchard Heights has some postgraduates aswell, does anyone know anything about this?, like how big/many is the some
Original post by King Of Domains
On the website it say the Orchard Heights has some postgraduates aswell, does anyone know anything about this?, like how big/many is the some

There are 102 places, a mixture of both ensuite and studios. You can see it when you check the postgraduate residences http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/postgraduate/residences/orchard/
I am writing the same thing for the third time (wrote on different forums) I guess, but it is worth it if it will help me to meet new friends :smile:

Hi, I am Atakan, I am from Turkey.
As my recent IB results met the conditions, I will hopefully be a September 2016 Fresher at University of Bristol. I will be studying Computer Science
Original post by JessLeigh97
I know this is months later but I've found myself back on this thread and was seeing if there was anyone else for psychology on here :P I applied for BSc Psychology and put Bristol as my firm, Liverpool as my insurance :smile:

Hi! I've applied for BSc Psychology too, just waiting for the grades to come in :s-smilie::afraid: Birmingham is my insurance. Have you seen the freshers events? Some of them look amazing:^_^:
Original post by diksha.kundlani
Hi! I've applied for BSc Psychology too, just waiting for the grades to come in :s-smilie::afraid: Birmingham is my insurance. Have you seen the freshers events? Some of them look amazing:^_^:

Yeah, some of them really do look so good :smile: too scared to buy tickets yet though in case I don't get the grades haha :') what halls have you applied for?
Reply 1770
Does anyone know when reading lists will get sent out? For English preferably but was wondering if any other subject has got theirs?
You probably won't get anything until you actually start your course.

In the meantime, for English, anything that deals with 'literary theory' would be worth trying to get to grips with. Here are a few suggestions : https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=literary+theory&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aliterary+theory DONT buy any of these - you can get cheap versions on ebay or just borrow them through your local library (ask about inter-library loans....). Or you could set yourself a task of reading all of Thomas Hardy's novels, a whole bunch of 1930s novels or try any other area of literature new to you - victorian gothic, caribbean writing etc.
Hey all,
I have applied for the Psychology course and I have met my grades except for the english language which i have narrowly missed in writing with 6.0(i needed 6.5).
Do you guys think this might be such a big problem?
Thanks a lot,
Mike
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JessLeigh97
Yeah, some of them really do look so good :smile: too scared to buy tickets yet though in case I don't get the grades haha :':wink: what halls have you applied for?
Same here! Though one of the events (F*CK ME IT'S FRESHERS) has tickets which are transferrable so if I don't make it into Bristol I can just change the ticket, but I'm still not sure whether to risk it or not:K:I applied for Orchard Heights, Unite House and Rackhay in that order of preference. But Orchard's tenancy starts on the 18th which is annoying because freshers' start on the 19th :indiff: What about you?
Original post by mitzylik
Hey all,
I have applied for the Psychology course and I have met my grades except for the english language which i have narrowly missed in writing with 6.0(i needed 6.5).
Do you guys think this might be such a big problem?
Thanks a lot,
Mike

Hey Mike! Apparently, last year Bristol accepted a lot of near miss students (more than any in the previous years) so I think you'll be okay :smile: I've also applied for Psychology but my grades don't come out until the August 18:s-smilie: What halls have you applied for?
Hey, good luck to everyone with their results! :smile:
I applied for deferred entry before taking a gap year to work after my alevels last year, so I'll be starting this September :smile:
Name: Celine
Where I'm from: Chelmsford, Essex
A2 subjects: Biology, Geography, Sociology
A level grades: AAA
Course: Zoology
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey Mike! Apparently, last year Bristol accepted a lot of near miss students (more than any in the previous years) so I think you'll be okay :smile: I've also applied for Psychology but my grades don't come out until the August 18:s-smilie: What halls have you applied for?

Hey,
Thanks for trying to lift my spirit.I don't know what to say...this year England seems a bit unstable because of the Brexit and i've heard that the government pressures the universities because of the high number of foreign students...what do you think?

I have applied for wills hall and churchill hall:biggrin: and you?:h:
Same here! Though one of the events (F*CK ME IT'S FRESHERS) has tickets which are transferrable so if I don't make it into Bristol I can just change the ticket, but I'm still not sure whether to risk it or not:K:I applied for Orchard Heights, Unite House and Rackhay in that order of preference. But Orchard's tenancy starts on the 18th which is annoying because freshers' start on the 19th :indiff: What about you?

no no no

Don't buy.. they're not JCR/Union tickets. Even if you did come to Bristol few people from your residence would be going to those events so you'd most likely end up not going.Best advice I can give is just wait till you get to Bristol and speak to your JCR (or equivalent) rep.
(edited 7 years ago)

I put Orchard Heights as my first as well New Bridewell as my second. Ooh how did you find out the tenancy date? I thought you only found out when they offered you a place for halls that is pretty annoying though :/
Original post by mitzylik
Hey,
Thanks for trying to lift my spirit.I don't know what to say...this year England seems a bit unstable because of the Brexit and i've heard that the government pressures the universities because of the high number of foreign students...what do you think?

I have applied for wills hall and churchill hall:biggrin: and you?:h:

Hahahha no problem! In my opinion, 2016 has been a bad year for politics on the whole but any changes to university policies will take at least 2 years to be implemented (or so I was informed by the email UoBristol sent me)

I've applied for Orchard Heights, Unite House and Rackay:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending