The Student Room Group

The Big "Are My Grades Good Enough for Cambridge?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Is it possible to apply to Cambridge with superb A2 grades like A*A*A but awful awful awful AS grades?
Original post by SuperHuman98
Is it possible to apply to Cambridge with superb A2 grades like A*A*A but awful awful awful AS grades?

Yes. Your most recent academic results are more important, and they like to see an upward academic trajectory anyway :smile:
How are these as level ums scores for maths?
C1-98
C2-100
D1-84
S1-94
M1-96
Fp1-97

I got an a in physics too. I want to apply for maths but I think they're too low

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebeisgreat
How are these as level ums scores for maths?
C1-98
C2-100
D1-84
S1-94
M1-96
Fp1-97

I got an a in physics too. I want to apply for maths but I think they're too low

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignoring D1 (which Cambridge pretty much do), why is a range of 94-100 "too low"?

You are likely to get an interview. :smile:
Original post by jpxw
Thanks, and yes the physics marks are out of 100. I was just shy of 90% in Computer Science, but yeah I think it's quite different to degree level Computer Science so they hopefully won't look too much at that. Are you starting this year on the course?

Yes, in October.
Original post by jneill
Ignoring D1 (which Cambridge pretty much do), why is a range of 94-100 "too low"?

You are likely to get an interview. :smile:

I'm just conscious that most maths applicants get 100 ums in most modules Which is much better than what I got...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got AABB in my AS but I'm still gonna apply, grades are only a part of your application, if you're an interesting person and know that you're gonna improve over the next year then I don't see why people would be getting themselves down at AS - these grades don't count for anything anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebeisgreat
I'm just conscious that most maths applicants get 100 ums in most modules Which is much better than what I got...

No, they really don't. :smile:

Original post by literaturista
I got AABB in my AS but I'm still gonna apply, grades are only a part of your application, if you're an interesting person and know that you're gonna improve over the next year then I don't see why people would be getting themselves down at AS - these grades don't count for anything anyway

They certainly do for Cambridge. But yes AABB, depending on your subjects, your intended course and the other aspects of your application, are likely to be ok to get an interview.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would go as far as to say the grades you get at GCSE and AS are nowhere near as important as interview performance. Being smart enough to get 3 A* at A2 and being smart enough to go to Oxbridge and entirely different and while there are many people who fall in the first category, not many fall into the second.
Original post by harper_
I would go as far as to say the grades you get at GCSE and AS are nowhere near as important as interview performance. Being smart enough to get 3 A* at A2 and being smart enough to go to Oxbridge and entirely different and while there are many people who fall in the first category, not many fall into the second.

Nope. Everything is taken into account. No one thing is more or less important than any other. The interview provides just one more set of data to be included in the application :smile:

People can have less good interviews but still get an offer.
Original post by jneill
Nope. Everything is taken into account. No one thing is more or less important than any other. The interview provides just one more set of data to be included in the application :smile:

People can have less good interviews but still get an offer.

Surly you would agree in the difference though. In subjects like Mathematics for example there is a stark difference between someone who can coast through GCSE/AS/Alevel exams getting top marks and those with true intuition who are able to solve problems in the interview.

Furthermore, atleast when I applied for NatSci, I truly doubt the PS was taken into much consideration for such subjects. The fact that I was not questioned on it whatsoever in interview was, for me, telling.
Original post by harper_

My daughter had the worst interview ever but still got in.
Many applicants who 'thought' they did very well at interview failed.

They look at all data they have on an applicant, including interview performance, and assess holistically and individually.
Original post by vincrows
My daughter had the worst interview ever but still got in.
Many applicants who 'thought' they did very well at interview failed.

They look at all data they have on an applicant, including interview performance, and assess holistically and individually.

May I ask the subject? For example your ability to discuss English or History as a topic in interview is very different from undertaking mathematical/logical problems
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by harper_
Surly you would agree in the difference though. In subjects like Mathematics for example there is a stark difference between someone who can coast through GCSE/AS/Alevel exams getting top marks and those with true intuition who are able to solve problems in the interview.

Furthermore, atleast when I applied for NatSci, I truly doubt the PS was taken into much consideration for such subjects. The fact that I was not questioned on it whatsoever in interview was, for me, telling.

For Maths they have STEP.

And yes, fair comment, the PS (and indeed GCSEs) are less important for most courses... :wink:

But the most recent academic achievements (in detail, not just the average UMS), pre- or at-interview assessments, essays submitted, interviews, are all reviewed holistically by multiple people.
Original post by jneill
For Maths they have STEP.

And yes, fair comment, the PS (and indeed GCSEs) are less important for most courses... :wink:

But the most recent academic achievements (in detail, not just the average UMS), pre- or at-interview assessments, essays submitted, interviews, are all reviewed holistically by multiple people.

That's true with STEP.

I would argue, like in my last post though, that for example for English/History submitted essays would hold much more weight than interview performance as they are a more obvious indication of the skills of the applicant. Meanwhile the applicants ability to discuss history at interview must be of less weight when compared with essays etc.

Meanwhile in Mathematics, the applicants ability to problem solve on the day would be of more significance compared with their PS or AS results. Obviously STEP is a factor too but the applicants would not have taken it prior to interview.

I am obviously only assuming that they discuss English/History at English/History interviews as I have obviously never attended them myself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by harper_
May I ask the subject?

I know MANY Cambridge students and unsuccessful applicants Over many years. Not just my daughter,
I've seen both cases across various courses. :wink:
And if you go through past threads of Cambridge applicants in this forum, you will see there're many examples of both cases in all sorts of courses.

Some students excel in exams but not very good at interview, some the other way around. Cambridge is very good at assessing both types fairly and quite accurately.
The reason they've been constantly remaining one of the top universities.
If they were following a simple theory like yours, they wouldn't be where they are now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to Trinity for Economics. My grades aren't exceptional, but I might have extenuating circumstances as a very close family member of mine passed away last summer :frown:
Grades:
GCSEs: 10A*s
AS levels: A in Physics
A in Economics (122/140 Raw, we don't have UMS)
I also did my maths A2 a year early:
A* in Maths (592/600) - I got full UMS in all but C4 and m1.
Self taught FP1 and got full UMS in that too.
Do I have what it takes to apply to Trinity or not? (Please be honest)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vincrows
I know MANY Cambridge students and unsuccessful applicants Over many years. Not just my daughter,
I've seen both cases across various cases. :wink:

Some students excel in exams but not very good at interview, some the other way around. Cambridge is very good at assessing both types fairly and quite accurately.
The reason they've been constantly remaining one of the top universities.
If they were following a simple theory like yours, they wouldn't be where they are now.

I'm not sure what theory I have set out...

I am saying, in a convoluted manner, that the applications for different subjects will be biased in different ways.

Oxbridge are unlikely to care very much whether a history applicant is able to talk about some historical theme or event as opposed to the quality of their submitted essays. On the other hand, they are less likely to take note of the PS and AS results of a Mathematics applicant as they are much more interested in assessing their ability to problem solve at interview.

To say the assessment process is fair in any way would be misinterpreting the definition.
Original post by harper_
That's true with STEP.

I would argue, like in my last post though, that for example for English/History submitted essays would hold much more weight than interview performance as they are a more obvious indication of the skills of the applicant. Meanwhile the applicants ability to discuss history at interview must be of less weight when compared with essays etc.

Meanwhile in Mathematics, the applicants ability to problem solve on the day would be of more significance compared with their PS or AS results. Obviously STEP is a factor too but the applicants would not have taken it prior to interview.

I am obviously only assuming that they discuss English/History at English/History interviews as I have obviously never attended them myself.

Ask the AT in their thread :wink:

And the point about STEP is the reason why mathmos have a MUCH higher ratio of offers.
Original post by gmahapatra
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to Trinity for Economics. My grades aren't exceptional, but I might have extenuating circumstances as a very close family member of mine passed away last summer :frown:
Grades:
GCSEs: 10A*s
AS levels: A in Physics
A in Economics (122/140 Raw, we don't have UMS)
I also did my maths A2 a year early:
A* in Maths (592/600) - I got full UMS in all but C4 and m1.
Self taught FP1 and got full UMS in that too.
Do I have what it takes to apply to Trinity or not? (Please be honest)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this a joke? I'm sorry but I fail to see how your grades aren't exceptional. You've got straight As and a 99% UMS average if you include FP1.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending