The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2013 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Just got the same thing and I hadn't even completed the tests yet!

Original post by cruel3a
I've just received a message from BarCap, 2 hours after my application, saying that they were withdrawing my application because this year they do not offer any graduate position in IBD because of their conversion rate... WTF.
Just checked the website,

its showing that the below are the only ones left....even trading is gone :frown:

Tech
Ops
Sales
Quantitative Analytics
IBD (guessing it will shortly be removed)
Reply 182
Is this thread for grad positions or internships? I am bit confused now...
Reply 183
Original post by lilys
Is this thread for grad positions or internships? I am bit confused now...

The stuff about BarCap is for grad roles. Perhaps someone should start another thread for graduate applications...
Reply 184
I've just checked the website and now you cannot even apply to London for IBD now.
I wrote them asking if the application can be "moved" to another office like Dubai.
WTF btw. I used my only shot to apply for a place where they are not even recruiting... It seems that the Libor is not their only problem...

OBV they do still recruit for SA since they are not gonna fill the next SA class with former summer analysts...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by cruel3a
I've just checked the website and now you cannot even apply to London for IBD now.
I wrote them asking if the application can be "moved" to another office like Dubai.
WTF btw. I used my only shot to apply for a place where they are not even recruiting... It seems that the Libor is not their only problem...

OBV they do still recruit for SA since they are not gonna fill the next SA class with former summer analysts...

You are not even being considered for your second option?
Reply 186
My second option was the same division in another city... and that city is now closed to.
I heard from a friend interning in another BB that Barcap told its interns in IBD that just 2/3 out of 5 people will get the offer so I was sure this was gonna be hard but if you do not hire you should not even put the opening on your website...
This is what, for instance, JPM does. They do not offer FT position in IBD since they cover every spots with interns...
Reply 187
Original post by cruel3a
My second option was the same division in another city... and that city is now closed to.
I heard from a friend interning in another BB that Barcap told its interns in IBD that just 2/3 out of 5 people will get the offer so I was sure this was gonna be hard but if you do not hire you should not even put the opening on your website...
This is what, for instance, JPM does. They do not offer FT position in IBD since they cover every spots with interns...

Not sure about IBD, but in S/T, BarCap's conversion is around 30%.
Original post by effofex
Not sure about IBD, but in S/T, BarCap's conversion is around 30%.

Really?? Then there never will be a graduate position for trading?? I would like to think that grad roles are always available but close the applications as soon as they receive enough numbers to interview for the few positions left?
Reply 189
Original post by cruel3a

Other banks may do this to - they may have the 'Full-Time' position advertised until Dec, but they may not actually have any headcount there. I think you need to hedge between full-time, summers (for those that allow you to) and long-term intern applications.
Reply 190
Original post by PrincePauper
Really?? Then there never will be a graduate position for trading?? I would like to think that grad roles are always available but close the applications as soon as they receive enough numbers to interview for the few positions left?

Well, with many banks there may be a desk that is looking for someone with a specific skillset which none of the interns reliably demonstrated - e.g. deep knowledge of correlation trading, with the ability to program a strategy in C++ if necessary. Then they may interview. But it could be literally about 4-5 people interviewed at the full-time level.

I think I saw BarCap's sales, structuring and trading roles in London open for full-time back on 6th August.
(edited 11 years ago)
Guys, can someone make another thread for the grad roles. That's what we had last year, otherwise it's going to get extremely confusing..
Original post by effofex

I think I saw BarCap's sales, structuring and trading roles in London open for full-time back on 6th August.

Think I saw trading disappear on the 3rd or 4th. Research disappeared on the 2nd.
Thats why to strengthen what I believe, there is no point showing a position when the applications open, just to remove it the day after. They must have received a number of applications that they were comfortable with.
Reply 193
Original post by effofex
Other banks may do this to - they may have the 'Full-Time' position advertised until Dec, but they may not actually have any headcount there. I think you need to hedge between full-time, summers (for those that allow you to) and long-term intern applications.

I won't hedge since I'm currently working FT in another firm (not banking but corporate finance) so I will just keep applying and see what happens.

Good luck guys
Original post by Asset101
Has anyone actually had a rejection from Greenhill yet? It seems they are collecting applications and feeding through interviews to the people they see most appropriate first and seeing what happens.

As for Lazard they let you know within an hour odd if you fail their tests, so it must mean you have passed!

HI

Have you heard back from paribas for long term internship?
Greenhill interview invite for next wednesday :biggrin:

anyone had their interview yet?
Reply 196
Original post by antisequantial
HI

Have you heard back from paribas for long term internship?

Nothing yet, not even the numerical! How about you? At this rate we may as well look to apply for FT when they come up on the jobs board.
Reply 197
Original post by PrincePauper
shiiiiit...

cjsfish - hopefully if you applied early you could be in contention for the 1-2 spots left for grad... if there are any left...

I applied for trading and done the tests on the 2nd. Havent heard anything yet

Lol, sounds more like barcap grad roles lottery, ( not that applying to IB is a lottery in itself).
Reply 198
Hi I am going into my second year at university and am studying business and economics at surrey. Unfortunately i mucked up my first year and turned my first half 2:1 into a 2:2. I was hoping to apply for a internship in the 2013 summer. Obviously I places like GS and JPM are way out of my reach. Can anybody suggest reasonable companies to reach for?

Cheers
Original post by Byrney11
Hi I am going into my second year at university and am studying business and economics at surrey. Unfortunately i mucked up my first year and turned my first half 2:1 into a 2:2. I was hoping to apply for a internship in the 2013 summer. Obviously I places like GS and JPM are way out of my reach. Can anybody suggest reasonable companies to reach for?

Cheers

Don't say that. If you have that kind of mentality you'll never get anywhere in this industry, nor should you even apply. As far as I know they didn't even ask for my grades. Aim high and you'll get high. If you need any advice feel free to PM me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending