The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

The Ask a Current University of Southampton Student Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foutre en L'air
Is the club open to absolute beginners?

I assume so. I am joining hopefully. Would be great to have as many people in the club as possible so I see no problem with showing some noobs the ropes :smile:
https://su-mc.org/
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Conwenna
Could anyone tell me something more about this, please? Their website mentions only one compulsory module with 2 contact hours and three optional whilst other universities offer more core modules and more contact hours. :confused:

I'm not an archaeology student, but I do study English so I can sympathise with the low number of contact hours.

If it says two contact hours, that is specific to that module. Your other optional modules will be additional hours on top of that. For humanities, they also run an additional compulsory Employability module with lectures every few weeks that they tailor to the different courses. This, obviously increases your contact hours. I imagine, based on my limited experience with the degree that you'll probably have somewhere in the range of about 7 hours contact (this seems to be average in humanities), possibly more. The website is rather unhelpful and doesn't specify how many options you get to pick, so I can't really help further.

If this is a major point of concern, maybe email the department and ask about how many contact hours first years have?

One of my friends studies this, she attends loads of the department run non-mandatory seminars and lectures in addition to the timetabled hours to help with the low contact hour issue. This isn't for everyone, though.
Hi, do you know if nursing students mainly choose a specific accommodation block and are you guaranteed to be with other nursing students due to extended time at uni?
Thank you!!
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on grades, I think I'm on track to get an A and a B in two of my subjects, however, I got a really low C in English last year and so I'm highly doubtful that I will get the B I need as I would have to get an A in the exam when I'm currently at a D. How lenient are Southampton with grades? I have applied for a psychology course.
Hi, have an offer from the university and am struggling to decide what to put as my five top accommodation choices. I know that I will probably put Glen eyer and Wessex Lane as my first two, i was wondering if you could tell me which other accommodations are lively and sociable? I liked the look of City Gateway but was told it is more for families and couples. I also think Mayflower looks nice. Which other ones are lively and sociable?

Thanks
Original post by becca12xxx
Hi, do you know if nursing students mainly choose a specific accommodation block and are you guaranteed to be with other nursing students due to extended time at uni?
Thank you!!

In my experience, nurses can be found in all blocks. There's no specific one that has more, as far as I'm aware. You're not guaranteed to be with other nurses, it's all random. You could be the only one in the flat, or there could be three or more. It's random. I live in Bencraft and there are a lot of nurses here, it's cheap and the tenancy is long enough for most people. Just go with your preference.

Original post by Alevelscankill
I was wondering if anyone had some advice on grades, I think I'm on track to get an A and a B in two of my subjects, however, I got a really low C in English last year and so I'm highly doubtful that I will get the B I need as I would have to get an A in the exam when I'm currently at a D. How lenient are Southampton with grades? I have applied for a psychology course.

Obviously I'm not a psychology student. However, I do know that Southampton is generally lenient with grades. There are almost always places in Clearing for most courses. I wouldn't worry too much, just do your best! Good luck!
Original post by Vanessa!
Hi, have an offer from the university and am struggling to decide what to put as my five top accommodation choices. I know that I will probably put Glen eyer and Wessex Lane as my first two, i was wondering if you could tell me which other accommodations are lively and sociable? I liked the look of City Gateway but was told it is more for families and couples. I also think Mayflower looks nice. Which other ones are lively and sociable?

Thanks

It always depends on the people living in the halls. Mayflower wasn't exactly party central this year although I think the layout pretty much sets it up perfectly, but who knows, maybe it could change next year? Same applies to City Gateway. It does have some accommodation built intended for families and couples, but there are plenty of typical undergraduate residents there, as well.

Traditionally though, you can't go wrong with Glen or Monte. But having lived at Archers Road Halls this year, I would say it's ideal because of how sociable it's been, particularly if you'll be having lectures at Avenue Campus or NOCS because of where it's situated.
Original post by LumosNox
In my experience, nurses can be found in all blocks. There's no specific one that has more, as far as I'm aware. You're not guaranteed to be with other nurses, it's all random. You could be the only one in the flat, or there could be three or more. It's random. I live in Bencraft and there are a lot of nurses here, it's cheap and the tenancy is long enough for most people. Just go with your preference.

Obviously, I'm not a psychology student. However, I do know that Southampton is generally lenient with grades. There are almost always places in Clearing for most courses. I wouldn't worry too much, just do your best! Good luck!

Thank You, that's very much appreciated, I've just found out that my coursework is only on a C, my teachers didn't know that my target was a B so I have a lot of work ahead of me. Going to speak to my head of year tomorrow and see what she says.
Hey! This might be a very dumb question, but do you choose your modules before or after arriving at uni? :smile:
Original post by Jojo998
Hey! This might be a very dumb question, but do you choose your modules before or after arriving at uni? :smile:

Not a dumb question at all! You will choose them after your offer is confirmed and before you move in. :smile:
Original post by 9910224
Not a dumb question at all! You will choose them after your offer is confirmed and before you move in. :smile:

Ok, that's good to know! Thank you so much!! :smile:
Reply 771
Hey :smile:
I have got an offer for MSc Sustainable Energy Technologies.
Anyone here doing the course or applied for it?
Just wanted a feedback as to how the course is.

For accommodation which hall would be better? I'm so confused with all the options available.
Any in particular best for postgrad students?
As for the part catered, is it a good idea to go for it? Is the food from that cafeteria available to be purchased if you are in a self catered hall?

Any help will be much appreciated.

I'm already a student at southampton university and applied for halls for my 2nd year and got offered and accepted a place. But after thinking about my room type (Non-ensuite Cat 2) I was considering upgrading to category 3 since I got a job recently so I will be able to top myself up financially. Any other current students know how easily they can transfer you to a different room type?
Quick question! (Sorry if something similar has already been asked)

If I am doing the Access to Southampton scheme, I understand that I can be made an offer which is lower than the standard entry requirements. If the standard requirements are A*AA, and the lower entry requirements will be AAB (and my predicted grades were AAA, for example) , would I still be considered for an offer even though my predicted grades don't meet the standard entry requirements?
Hi! My sister is 24 and starting her MA in Archeology in the fall. She is currently looking for student housing and I had a view questions. She won't know anyone in Southampton and she doesn't want to feel isolated from the other students, but she also would like to be around older (postgrad) age students. What are the safe areas to live in? Also areas where students live, although I don't think she is looking for "Freshers" type drinking, just a nice place to go to a pub and places to grocery shop. Any advice? What do people think of St. Margaret's or the Avenue? Private student housing vs the University? Any information would be greatly appreciated! PS. She is looking for studio housing but doesn't want to rent outside of student housing because of the hassle in signing up for utilities, etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 775
I would very much appreciate if someone who has studied or is studying Computer Science at Southampton could fill me in on what exactly should I expect the first year. What kind of programming languages do we learn, which ones are the most important, what kind of maths is there, what level at which particular language are we at at the end of year 1 etc. Overall things you wish you knew before you started out would be great if you could share it as well.
Hey, I'll be a mature age student in September and I have a couple of questions. 1 - when will I get my time table as I have an unconditional offer
2 - are there a lot of mature age students? Do any of them go to halls or what's the go with things like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Plaitn
I would very much appreciate if someone who has studied or is studying Computer Science at Southampton could fill me in on what exactly should I expect the first year. What kind of programming languages do we learn, which ones are the most important, what kind of maths is there, what level at which particular language are we at at the end of year 1 etc. Overall things you wish you knew before you started out would be great if you could share it as well.

You can find out about first year module content here: http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/bsc-computer-science#modules click on each module to find out the nitty gritty

Original post by Ajennings93
Hey, I'll be a mature age student in September and I have a couple of questions. 1 - when will I get my time table as I have an unconditional offer
2 - are there a lot of mature age students? Do any of them go to halls or what's the go with things like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

timetables will depend on your degree - if you are on a degree with optional modules then you wont get your timetable finalised until you chose your modules. If you have compulsory modules then you should get your timetable sometime in late August after the A level results and the number of students are known
Reply 778
Original post by Ajennings93

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think some mature students stay in halls, but a lot of us are in private rented accommodation. I'm much older than the average student and halls didn't appeal to me.

Last year I knew the first 2 weeks timetable before I started and got the proper timetable during those weeks. (I think there was a new timetabling system and some glitches so hopefully things should be smoother this year.) Once you have a logon to SUSSED you can see your online timetable on there (but nothing on there yet).
Reply 779
Original post by PQ
You can find out about first year module content here: http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programmes/bsc-computer-science#modules click on each module to find out the nitty gritty

timetables will depend on your degree - if you are on a degree with optional modules then you wont get your timetable finalised until you chose your modules. If you have compulsory modules then you should get your timetable sometime in late August after the A level results and the number of students are known

I have seen the link you posted but it does not say much, just the outlines of the program. It is not very much helpful in comparison to a person who has been there done that and can give you a detailed summary of what to expect which this layout cannot show you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending