The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical School Applicants 2012

Thought I would start the thread for this wonderful University. I am hoping to apply there. Anyone else?

I was at the interview stage last year and after what I thought was a great interview, I got my heart broken, not going to stop me though! Sorry for the self-indulgent speech there.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm also applying to St. Andrew's as well... Beautiful city, wonderful people there (I LOVE BRITISH! but moreover, I love Scottish as well :biggrin: My co-worker is from Fife, and he told me wonderful things about Fife and the beautiful scenary there... Can't wait!! :biggrin:)

I'm actually excited by the fact that I get to spend 3 years there and 3 years someplace else... sounds extremely special to me! :biggrin:

@baztech: LET'S DO THIS!
good luck to all!
Reply 2
Original post by baztech
Thought I would start the thread for this wonderful University. I am hoping to apply there. Anyone else?

I was at the interview stage last year and after what I thought was a great interview, I got my heart broken, not going to stop me though! Sorry for the self-indulgent speech there.

High-5! I was the exact same, but definatly applying there again :yep: First choice by miles :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by doctork2
I'm also applying to St. Andrew's as well... Beautiful city, wonderful people there (I LOVE BRITISH! but moreover, I love Scottish as well :biggrin: My co-worker is from Fife, and he told me wonderful things about Fife and the beautiful scenary there... Can't wait!! :biggrin:)

I'm actually excited by the fact that I get to spend 3 years there and 3 years someplace else... sounds extremely special to me! :biggrin:

@baztech: LET'S DO THIS!
good luck to all!

I presume you're Canadian judging from the flag? I'm an international student as well!

Currently deliberating whether to apply to St Andrews or not. On one hand it seems very international student friendly and the teaching is good. However it's a long six years course so the finances are extra huge and I think I'm gonna miss my family and country a lot. Would very much appreciate any input here :smile:
I can't decide whether to apply or not to St.Andrews. I think I will apply to Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and Edinburgh. I don't know though - I might change my mind and apply to St.Andrews instead of one of the above.
Reply 5
Original post by Ergo
I presume you're Canadian judging from the flag? I'm an international student as well!

Currently deliberating whether to apply to St Andrews or not. On one hand it seems very international student friendly and the teaching is good. However it's a long six years course so the finances are extra huge and I think I'm gonna miss my family and country a lot. Would very much appreciate any input here :smile:

St Andrews is certainly a very international university. The med school also has more international students than some other uk med schools. 6 years does sound like a long course, but the time goes very quickly! A lot of people at other med schools end up doing an intercalated degree anyway, so most people do 6 years (even if they start on a 5 year course). Teaching at St Andrews is of a fantastic quality. I can't praise it enough! If you want to know any specifics on the course, I'd be happy to help!

Original post by ChangedMyMind
I can't decide whether to apply or not to St.Andrews. I think I will apply to Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and Edinburgh. I don't know though - I might change my mind and apply to St.Andrews instead of one of the above.

The great thing about St Andrews is that you can choose which of the 4 other Scottish med schools you go to for clinical. Clinical choices are competitive and depend on your rank, but in actual fact, most people get their first choice.
Reply 6
Original post by King Newt
St Andrews is certainly a very international university. The med school also has more international students than some other uk med schools. 6 years does sound like a long course, but the time goes very quickly! A lot of people at other med schools end up doing an intercalated degree anyway, so most people do 6 years (even if they start on a 5 year course). Teaching at St Andrews is of a fantastic quality. I can't praise it enough! If you want to know any specifics on the course, I'd be happy to help!

The great thing about St Andrews is that you can choose which of the 4 other Scottish med schools you go to for clinical. Clinical choices are competitive and depend on your rank, but in actual fact, most people get their first choice.

Thanks for offering to help! :smile:

I think I heard somewhere that teachings are conducted mostly by lectures. Are there PBL/group work-ish components in the course? I understand that St Andrews does not have a teaching hospital so students only get sent to GPs. To what extend do you think this is a disadvantage?

Also, do you know the approximate number of internationals moving on to Scottish universities for clinicals? It says on their websites that most international students will move to Manchester.
Reply 7
No problem!

Yes, most of the small group teaching is taken by lecturers and/or doctors. We do a few PBL cases every term. Although not as much as PBL medical schools where it is the main method of teaching. In 3rd year, there are some 'proper' PBL sessions to get ready for going to clinical schools. St Andrews has a more traditional systematic teaching than PBL unis. Personally, I believe that the firm foundation of medical knowledge you get at a place like St Andrews is invaluable. Some people prefer PBL unis, but you would have to be incredibly motivated to learn as much as you would at a more traditional uni like St A. Dissection is 2 hrs a week - that's taken either by retired surgeons, or younger doctors (who are hoping to become surgeons), and a few anatomists. We do quite a lot of group work. It doesn't go towards your grade (that's exam dependent). We put together a few presentations a term in our groups of 8.

The patient contact in St Andrews has changed recently. Now there are no attachments in 1st yr. All your clinical and communications skills are practiced on locals who are paid to have you prod and poke them (which is great when you're a nervous little 1st yr!). In 2nd year, you have one day of GP attachment per fortnight in Fife or Dundee, or an attachment with Cameron Hospital, St Andrews community hospital etc. In 3rd year, you have fortnightly attachments at hospitals around fife. The med school is great - you just turn up at the med school and get taken by taxi or coach to your attachment free of charge. Personally, I don't see the advantage of lots of early clinical exposure. I had GP attachments in 1st yr and felt it was a bit of a waste of time as i didn't know anything and couldn't join in/practice clinical skills. There's plenty of time for seeing patients in clinical years! At St Andrews, we actually learn more clinical skills than people at very 'patient orientated' med schools, which is quite surprising. Consequently, when you leave st andrews, you are able to examine every major organ system and a lot besides which gives you a great start to clinicals.

I know it says most internationals go to manchester, but in my experience, people go where they want to! Edinburgh has places set aside for internationals. Lots of my international friends are going to scottish clinical schools. I'll try to find out exact numbers for you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Hi
I am going to be hopefully applying here. :smile:
International applicant from Canada.
Reply 9
Original post by baztech

Original post by Quackers93
High-5! I was the exact same, but definatly applying there again :yep: First choice by miles :smile:

Hey guys! I just wanted to wish you good luck! I hope to see you in St. Andrews next year. I know what you have been through (I was there) and I think you both deserve to get in! Best of luck with everything - especially your UKCAT >:biggrin:<
Reply 10
Original post by Anterior view
Stuff to consider it's got the smallest number of places ( i think) it takes a year longer to qualify ? More student debt potentially. Although they try you don't always get your choice ie to stay in Scotland so you could end up in Manchester.. Im not sure how that affects fees ie if you would then have to pay if you were sent to manchester It's a bit out of the way although it's a nice place! so if your a city boy who likes the nightlife again it's something to consider:rolleyes:

It is a 6 year course, but most med students want to intercalate anyway, so even people on 5 year courses often end up doing 6 years. Having the BSc is beneficial to your future career and foundation applications, so is worthwhile. The fact St Andrews has an inbuilt intercalation means it is a lot more coherent than at schools where it is not a part of the course. Student debt should be lower - for scots and europeans it's free, for the english - fees are marginally cheaper than in england. Going to manchester would only affect those whose fees are free in scotland. They would pay one year of fees. This isn't really an issue though, as applications for Manchester and Scottish routes are completely separate. If you put scottish route on your application, you get Scotland or a rejection.

St Andrews does have a nightlife - it's got plenty of pubs, the union and liz, and Dundee is only a short bus ride away if you want 'better' clubs. St Andrews has stuff you can't get in a city - we have 3 amazing beaches. How many places could you wander down to the beach and have a BBQ in the shadow of a beautiful castle? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Anterior view
So if you choose Scotland and don't get a place you get rejected!..that's a bit risky is it not. Ok nice beaches but do you have the weather to sit on them for Long:rolleyes:

That's just how the applications work. There are marginally more places on the Scottish route, but it's pretty much 50:50.

St Andrews has the best weather in Scotland! We actually do get a lot of sunshine, and it rains less than edinburgh/dundee for some reason. It is sometimes quite cold though, being in scotland! Depends what you're used to. One of my friends from Trinidad struggles as bit with the cold, but copes by having her heater on full blast in halls so it's like a sauna! Obviously midwinter isn't great for beach BBQs, but the rest of the year is fine.
Reply 12
That's just how the applications work. There are marginally more places on the Scottish route, but it's pretty much 50:50.

St Andrews has the best weather in Scotland! We actually do get a lot of sunshine, and it rains less than edinburgh/dundee for some reason. It is sometimes quite cold though, being in scotland! Depends what you're used to. One of my friends from Trinidad struggles as bit with the cold, but copes by having her heater on full blast in halls so it's like a sauna! Obviously midwinter isn't great for beach BBQs, but the rest of the year is fine.

I was up at st Andrews twice earlier on this year and is was freezing that was late march. Don't know what it's like in summer but I'm Scottish and I have to admit our weather isn't the greatest. I think this constant rain at the moment is so depressing but hey that's scotland. Glasgow gets pretty wet too. But it's not the unis fault there's not too much they can do about that!
Reply 13
Original post by Olives
I was up at st Andrews twice earlier on this year and is was freezing that was late march. Don't know what it's like in summer but I'm Scottish and I have to admit our weather isn't the greatest. I think this constant rain at the moment is so depressing but hey that's scotland. Glasgow gets pretty wet too. But it's not the unis fault there's not too much they can do about that!

You're right - it was a pretty cold spring this year! The previous year was amazing in St Andrews though. Fife has an average of 1500 hours of sunshine per year, which is higher than the scottish average. The St Andrews climate is good by Scottish standards!
Reply 14

I'm from sizzling Singapore, don't know how I will survive the weather at St. Andrews :tongue: Thanks for helping us applicants answer our questions, really appreciate it!
Reply 15
Original post by Ergo
I'm from sizzling Singapore, don't know how I will survive the weather at St. Andrews :tongue: Thanks for helping us applicants answer our questions, really appreciate it!

Oh man, I went to Singapore on a vacation once :biggrin: it was fantastic. I love the weather, but I'm just a cold-weather-lovin' asian from South korea who just happens to live in Canada :bl:
As a Scot I would say anyone who doesn't like the rain should not study in Scotland :smile: in saying that the last couple of weeks have been pretty nice!
Reply 17
It is a 6 year course, but most med students want to intercalate anyway, so even people on 5 year courses often end up doing 6 years. Having the BSc is beneficial to your future career and foundation applications, so is worthwhile. The fact St Andrews has an inbuilt intercalation means it is a lot more coherent than at schools where it is not a part of the course. Student debt should be lower - for scots and europeans it's free, for the english - fees are marginally cheaper than in england. Going to manchester would only affect those whose fees are free in scotland. They would pay one year of fees. This isn't really an issue though, as applications for Manchester and Scottish routes are completely separate. If you put scottish route on your application, you get Scotland or a rejection.

St Andrews does have a nightlife - it's got plenty of pubs, the union and liz, and Dundee is only a short bus ride away if you want 'better' clubs. St Andrews has stuff you can't get in a city - we have 3 amazing beaches. How many places could you wander down to the beach and have a BBQ in the shadow of a beautiful castle? :biggrin:

Some people put Scotland and got Manchester instead. It's a bit confusing but that's how it works... Plus if you really want to go to St. Andrews and you are scarred to choose a campus it's quite easy not to declare what campus you want and you automatically get sent somewhere if they think you are good enough :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by doctork2
Oh man, I went to Singapore on a vacation once :biggrin: it was fantastic. I love the weather, but I'm just a cold-weather-lovin' asian from South korea who just happens to live in Canada :bl:

You must have really picked a nice month to enjoy nice weather in Singapore. However these days it's sweltering hot, even during the night (like now). At times like this I really wish I were in somewhere colder :rolleyes:
Reply 19
Original post by teafil
Some people put Scotland and got Manchester instead. It's a bit confusing but that's how it works... Plus if you really want to go to St. Andrews and you are scarred to choose a campus it's quite easy not to declare what campus you want and you automatically get sent somewhere if they think you are good enough :biggrin:

There is a bit of movement both ways though. I know people who swapped from manchester to scotland, and vice versa when it came to 2nd year, so it's not entirely fixed in stone. Some people are offered alternative routes when they are given an offer at St Andrews if there are too many on the route they want, but they are given the offer to refuse! (i think in the end, people generally end up where they want to be)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending