The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theoferdinand
Yes it has
Think about it . Black people at the time were TRAINED to be slaves . This didn't just happen for just one or two generations . It happened for many many more

One's genes don't change in one's lifetime.

The only genes you have are those you are born with, and these are the only ones you can pass on.

I'll use oxen as an example of why you are wrong. If you work an ox hard throughout its life, resulting it being more muscular than if it had been left alone in the wild, it's offspring will be no more likely to be more muscular. Genes cannot be altered.

However, if you take two oxen which are naturally more muscular than average, because of their genes, then their offspring will have a greater chance of being of above average strength.

Go and read up about genetics instead of arguing with a zoologist about it...
Reply 41
There was a show on BBC and they went to Jamaica and spoke to Usain Bolt as asked why black sprinters are faster than white ones. They spoke about food and etc. but couldn't come up with a definitive answers.
Black sprinters generally train at higher altitudes in their country (such as south Africa). So they find it easier in the UK and USA with lower altitudes and we find it harder in their countries with higher altitudes.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Chumbaniya
Let's dispel a couple of myths here:

Diet - can't be a factor because, in the world of high level athletics, diets are all uniquely tailored to the athlete's needs. Is it really plausible that black athletes know about a secret sprinting diet that they're collectively hiding from white athletes? No. Furthermore, Black athletes from many different countries have been successful sprinters.

Slavery - there are 8 Nigerian athletes who have broken the 10 second barrier, and others from Ghana, Zimbabwe and Namibia (compared to one white athletes). If sprinting ability was down to 'selective breeding' of slaves, then it wouldn't be present in West African countries - it would only occur in the descendants of slaves. The genetic advantage appears to be possessed by those of West African descent, and is therefore present in both West African nations and in black populations descended from slaves.

Geography question: Is West Africa particularly elevated? I was under the impression it wasn't, and that those people talking about altitude are actually confusing West African sprinters with East African distance runners. As sprinting is primarily anaerobic, the benefits to aerobic capacity that result from living and training at altitude surely shouldn't have that much of an effect?

Regarding slavery, Nigerian sprinters may have broken the 10 sec barrier, but African-Americans (descendants of slaves) in the USA and Jamaican (used to be slaves) are the best sprinters in the world.

So it could be down to an improvement in already good genes.
Original post by Wilfred Little
So if I make a derogatory statement about white people on this forum and then claim I'm joking and people need to lighten up, that's fine, is it?

Use your common sense and choose your audience accordingly, you wouldn't tell jokes about black people in downtown Harlem would you?

I'm not some left-wing hippy, my sense of humour is very dark but there's a time and a place for it and a serious discussion amongst strangers is not it.

Probably because they would be less civil over that matter. While wielding weapons. Racism shouldn't be judged by what area code you're in.

You say there is a time and a place but you're on a internet forum?
If there ever was an opportunity for someone to tell a racist joke without repercussion it would be now.

Stop taking it so seriously or learn to ignore the ignorant people.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Please, don't base a whole argument on a BBC article.

Studies have shown black people to have a higher proportion of type 2 (fast twitch) muscle fibres than caucasians.

I know I agreed with it in my post below but, that was the first one that came up when I Googled. I've known about the tribe theory and sprinters being traced back for ages.
Original post by So Instinct
Probably because they would be less civil over that matter. While wielding weapons. Racism shouldn't be judged by what area code you're in.

You say there is a time and a place but you're on a internet forum?
If there ever was an opportunity for someone to tell a racist joke without repercussion it would be now.

Stop taking it so seriously or learn to ignore the ignorant people.

What about a bus full of different races? Point is it wasn't appropriate given this thread is for serious discussion.

Then make a sub-section specifically for it or post it in a joke thread.
Original post by Felchingman
Regarding slavery, Nigerian sprinters may have broken the 10 sec barrier, but African-Americans (descendants of slaves) in the USA and Jamaican (used to be slaves) are the best sprinters in the world.

So it could be down to an improvement in already good genes.

I don't think there's any provable statistical significance there - given that the USA and Jamaica have a far bigger tradition in sprinting and programs to bring through talented sprinters (along with more money for coaches, training facilities and high tech kit), there are enough other factors there for me to doubt that an average black American has any genetic advantage over an average Ghanaian. It's possible, but it seems unlikely - the difference is drastically less noticeable than the fact that only one white man has ever run 100m under 10 seconds compared to scores of black men.
Original post by shiinkii
What do you call a bunch of white guys sitting on a bench? The 100meter finals.

LOL, I never hear jokes like this but it is a good one haha.

On the 'blacks' being better than 'whites' at sprints and being genetically better off in this aspect, could it be to do with a majority of the genetically strong surviving all the bull**** that happened throughout history? Just a thought.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by anthonyfl
Black sprinters generally train at higher altitudes in their country (such as south Africa). So they find it easier in the UK and USA with lower altitudes and we find it harder in their countries with higher altitudes.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

surely the only thing affected by altitude is oxygen levels? And many sprinters hold their breath when sprinting anyway.
Reply 50
Original post by Royale
LOL but tbh I don't believe Black people are physically superior to other races, I think it's down to the difference in environments. I think people do way more exercise in Africa compared to western countries due to the lack of transport and wide spaces etc.. If it were the other way around i think we wouldn't be the best when it comes to sports

Is this a joke? Have you ever been to 'Africa' (a huge continent with several different countries)? Lack or transport and wide spaces...? I think you're either imagining a desert, or you've been watching too mich Comic Relief. Environment is not the key factor at all.
Reply 51
Original post by The Mr Z
It's not blacks in general, it's a few particular tribes from West Africa. Top white sprinters will happily trounce other tribes and East Africans in particular (who happen to be good long distance runners), but there is a small sub-group of West Africans who are especially good runners.

(It was also these people who ended up being taken to the Americas by the slave trade and make up the majority of good sprinters from these countries)

Many different black tribes originating from different parts of Africa are in fact scarcely related to each other, often having more heritage in common with different ethnicities like Europeans and Asians than other Africans. Blacks are not a single ethnicity, despite all having dark skin. (The dark skin is more due to the climate of the regions they have inhabited for millennia rather than ethnicity)

Good comment. Talking of 'black people' as a single group is completely misleading.
Original post by Royale
LOL but tbh I don't believe Black people are physically superior to other races, I think it's down to the difference in environments. I think people do way more exercise in Africa compared to western countries due to the lack of transport and wide spaces etc.. If it were the other way around i think we wouldn't be the best when it comes to sports

Our environmental change has only come about in the last few centuries. That doesn't mean that there's going to be some change in genetics. Evolution takes place over hundreds of thousands of years. What's more, although the average fitness for a human being in western society may have decreased rapidly over the years, the fittest of the fittest have only gotten faster, with more intensive fitness regimes, better diets etc.
I don't think there's any provable statistical significance there - given that the USA and Jamaica have a far bigger tradition in sprinting and programs to bring through talented sprinters (along with more money for coaches, training facilities and high tech kit), there are enough other factors there for me to doubt that an average black American has any genetic advantage over an average Ghanaian. It's possible, but it seems unlikely - the difference is drastically less noticeable than the fact that only one white man has ever run 100m under 10 seconds compared to scores of black men.

Is this a joke? Have you ever been to 'Africa' (a huge continent with several different countries)? Lack or transport and wide spaces...? I think you're either imagining a desert, or you've been watching too mich Comic Relief
Original post by katyness
LOL. I ran out of reps but that made my day :biggrin:

Lighten up, it's clearly a joke :smile:

A joke at the expense of black people. Racism is racism.
Original post by Arturo Bandini
Is this a joke? Have you ever been to 'Africa' (a huge continent with several different countries)? Lack or transport and wide spaces...? I think you're either imagining a desert, or you've been watching too mich Comic Relief

I think you quoted the wrong post, as your response and my post don't seem to bear much relationship to one another. It looks like Royale's post you're interested in.
Before the whites came and destroyed Africa, those people were hunters. They hunted animals. Therefore they inherit their ancestors genes. And then slave labour only increased their efficiently, therefore making the best athlete. By the way, White athletes can't win against Asian ones.
I think you quoted the wrong post, as your response and my post don't seem to bear much relationship to one another. It looks like Royale's post you're interested in.

I'm sorry I was just spamming to take the piss out of that other person.
Reply 58
Original post by QTpie118
Is this a joke? Have you ever been to 'Africa' (a huge continent with several different countries)? Lack or transport and wide spaces...? I think you're either imagining a desert, or you've been watching too mich Comic Relief. Environment is not the key factor at all.

Well the environmental factor links to genetics due to the conditions they live in and they learn to adapt to it. I'm aware Africa is not just some wild desert full of people dying of starvation.
I appreciate my post was quite vague.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by InternetGangster
A joke at the expense of black people. Racism is racism.

Yeah whatever.

Latest