The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
stressedstudent19
Are you an international or mature student? its just that they dont let normal students do foundation years

I am 22 but classed as a mature student i think
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
kflynn
stevo or snow college.

stevo :biggrin:
Reply 42
fribblet
I seem to be about the only Snow student in existance :biggrin: how come everyone who posts is from Stephenson?!? :confused:

yeah i know, i was thinking that. :p: . their is also quite a lot of Mature stundents in here, i feel left out. :frown:

i realise that has'nt answered your question, good luck at snow though :rolleyes:
Reply 43
Ok, are there any other freshers who recieved conditional offers who have not heard anything about accommodation after sending off an online application form and have not recieved the two emails for DUO?

Getting slightly worried. I've got stuff about JCR, Sport and fresher's t-shirts, but nothing I would deem important. I really don't want to live in a cardboard box near the psychology dept. :frown:
Reply 44
Atrixa
Ok, are there any other freshers who recieved conditional offers who have not heard anything about accommodation after sending off an online application form and have not recieved the two emails for DUO?
Getting slightly worried. I've got stuff about JCR, Sport and fresher's t-shirts, but nothing I would deem important. I really don't want to live in a cardboard box near the psychology dept. :frown:

i have'nt recived them yet, but i don't think anyone has, who got conditional offers. It is a bit worrying, but i belive everyone is the same boat. :biggrin:.
Did anyone one else send their ID (birth certificate, passport) by recorded post and have it signed for? I sent mine over a week ago and it still hasn't been signed for yet. Its just says its been re-directed. Not sure if this is normal because of the backlog or what. Been trying to get through to student finance for two days, no joy. Just panicking a bit as its my only form of ID so if it gets lost I'm in a world of hurt. Just got an email from Stephenson college saying i'm in so at least I know that much. No idea where I'm gonna live either....
I have spoken to someone about accommodation and it's going to be 2-3 weeks before we hear anything. Really worried now as they have told me there is a small possibility of being in private sector accommodation :frown: :cry2:
Reply 47
Hii everyone.

Im Polly, i'm 18 and i'll be starting primary education in oct and in john snow college :smile: , anyone else?
Reply 48
shorley_wall
I have spoken to someone about accommodation and it's going to be 2-3 weeks before we hear anything. Really worried now as they have told me there is a small possibility of being in private sector accommodation :frown: :cry2:

Oh God...
Reply 49
x_polly_x
Hii everyone.

Im Polly, i'm 18 and i'll be starting primary education in oct and in john snow college :smile: , anyone else?

for some reason most people in here seem to be going to Stephenson college, but we are all family in here. lol :rolleyes:
Reply 50
Yeah, Stevo is the bigger college.

Got my license agreement for the accommodation. Currently compiling a list of things I'll need. It's frightening.
Atrixa
Yeah, Stevo is the bigger college.

Got my license agreement for the accommodation. Currently compiling a list of things I'll need. It's frightening.

Still no license agreement here, starting to get really worried...
Reply 52
recived first part of DUO information, containing my Username =).
Reply 53
Hey everybody well done on getting into Durham, I'm Rob i will be going into my second year when you get here and am doing Accounting + Finance and am also in Stevo if anybody has any questions about queens, the colleges or anything please ask

Rob :biggrin:
Reply 54
Rob 07
Hey everybody well done on getting into Durham, I'm Rob i will be going into my second year when you get here and am doing Accounting + Finance and am also in Stevo if anybody has any questions about queens, the colleges or anything please ask

Rob :biggrin:

Do they let you change around the accommodation installment costs? I haven't been means-tested for my student loan yet and I'm worried that I won't have enough to pay the first installment of the accommodation fee, which is pretty steep.
Atrixa
Do they let you change around the accommodation installment costs? I haven't been means-tested for my student loan yet and I'm worried that I won't have enough to pay the first installment of the accommodation fee, which is pretty steep.

Worry not, I spoke to the uni about this a couple of weeks ago and he said as long as you've got your confirmation letter from student finance stating you are entitled to the funding when you enrol its all good. From what he was saying they don't take the payment straight away anyway. I'm in a similiar position, haven't had anything back from anyone yet apart from my confirmation letter from UCAS to say I'm on the course .:confused: I'll start stressing about mid-September I reckon.
Supersharpshooter
Worry not, I spoke to the uni about this a couple of weeks ago and he said as long as you've got your confirmation letter from student finance stating you are entitled to the funding when you enrol its all good. From what he was saying they don't take the payment straight away anyway. I'm in a similiar position, haven't had anything back from anyone yet apart from my confirmation letter from UCAS to say I'm on the course .:confused: I'll start stressing about mid-September I reckon.

Have you applied for accommodation in halls? Did the accommodation office contact you yesterday? I ask as you're a mature doing foundation so just wondered if you had had the same call I did. :smile:
shorley_wall
Have you applied for accommodation in halls? Did the accommodation office contact you yesterday? I ask as you're a mature doing foundation so just wondered if you had had the same call I did. :smile:

Yes, I applied on the website but haven't heard anything yet. Was it a yeah or neah? I'm pondering just getting a local house share or something...not sure if I want to go in halls if its going to be really noisy and hard work.
Supersharpshooter
Yes, I applied on the website but haven't heard anything yet. Was it a yeah or neah? I'm pondering just getting a local house share or something...not sure if I want to go in halls if its going to be really noisy and hard work.

I'd give the accommodation office a ring, they put the mature students on the top floor so there is as little noise as possible and as for yay or nay she couldn't 100% confirm either way yesterday. If it ends up being a nay I think I'm going to look into the private halls in stockton. As it's going to be 2-3 weeks before I find out I've got my fingers crossed for halls. But yeah, give them a call.
Reply 59
Hi Guys,

I have a list of contact details for Landlords in the Thornaby / Stockton area from when I was looking for a property a month or so ago. i even have info and addresses of some of the properties I visited.

As a mature student (only 25 though) I decided not to live in halls as I wanted somewhere that would be a bit quiter for when I want to get my work done. I actually found a property opposite the campus which is ideal and the property mangement company own the property and are very helpful.

Am close enough to Uni for college lifestyle yet far enough away for my own space and quiet time.

If anyone wants the list of properties I visited and landlord contact details pm me your email address

Latest