The Student Room Group

Any good broadsheet recommendations?

Hey guys,

I will start my AS course this September and I want to get into Medicine and I would like to start by reading medical issues in the news and I have to keep track of everything that's happening in the medical world.

I would like to ask what broadsheet has the most information on Health/Medical issues, as I am planning on creating a scrapbook too of newspaper clippings so that I can show it to my interviewer in the future, thus it will also help me on my BMAT entrance exam.

Any recommendations would be awesome.

Cheers
Reply 1
In my opinion, Guardian is probably best for science issues in general. Probably followed by Independent.

That said, no papers are really very good on science at all. (If you haven't, read Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, it covers this is great detail.) But yeah, definitely steer well clear of tabloids, of course. And probably Telegraph too. It's pretty much a dressed up tabloid, when it comes to these things.
Jhyzone
Hey guys,

I will start my AS course this September and I want to get into Medicine and I would like to start by reading medical issues in the news and I have to keep track of everything that's happening in the medical world.

I would like to ask what broadsheet has the most information on Health/Medical issues, as I am planning on creating a scrapbook too of newspaper clippings so that I can show it to my interviewer in the future, thus it will also help me on my BMAT entrance exam.

Any recommendations would be awesome.

Cheers

I really recommend that if you want accurate scientific/medical reporting you steer clear of the mainstream media as a whole. This cartoon sums up their attitude to scientific reportage:
http://zs1.smbc-comics.com/comics/20090830.gif

Try New Scientist, Scientific American, etc. There are many excellent blogs out there as well.

As for the scrapbook idea, it's nice, and I think you should do it for your personal use, but I dunno about showing it to the interviewer.

Latest

Trending

Trending