The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
gyyy2807
From what I've heard people with any degree from Oxbridge/LSE are highly regarded by investment banks, which US unis have a similar reputation among investment banks? I'm guessing obviously the likes Harvard, Yale and Princeton, but which others? Thanks :smile:

This website might prove useful:
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/.
Reply 41
flugestuge
Wharton, MIT, Dartmouth, Williams, Amherst.

What about Chicago, Georgetown, Brown, Cornell, Berkeley, Stanford, NYU, Duke, Johns Hopkins and Penn (but not Wharton)?
Reply 42
k1tsun3
This website might prove useful:
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/.

thanks for that link :smile:

was surprised to see that Wharton wasn't top.
Reply 43
gyyy2807
thanks for that link :smile:

was surprised to see that Wharton wasn't top.

Me too.
gyyy2807
What about Chicago, Georgetown, Brown, Cornell, Berkeley, Stanford, NYU, Duke, Johns Hopkins and Penn (but not Wharton)?

Did you want a complete listing of every university in the US or a list of those that are particularly successful at getting their graduates into IB ? :rolleyes:

If you want the former, you could have a few thousand names on the There were 4182 in 2004. http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d04/tables/dt04_244.asp
Reply 45
gyyy2807
From what I've heard people with any degree from Oxbridge/LSE are highly regarded by investment banks, which US unis have a similar reputation among investment banks? I'm guessing obviously the likes Harvard, Yale and Princeton, but which others? Thanks :smile:

Duke, Upenn etc. Half the trading floor at Goldman Sachs NY are Duke Alum, Morgan Stanley CEO is a Duke Alum and on the Duke Board of Trustees. UChicago, MIT are for analysts. Basically investment banks hire from all the top schools as long as your get half decent grades or you are extremely active.

edit - dont go to an undergrad business school.... kids there are douches generally and it ruins the whole point of getting a liberal arts education.
Reply 46
flugestuge
Did you want a complete listing of every university in the US or a list of those that are particularly successful at getting their graduates into IB ? :rolleyes:

If you want the former, you could have a few thousand names on the There were 4182 in 2004. http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d04/tables/dt04_244.asp

th latter please, if it's available :smile:

Edit: What about McGill?
Reply 47
dn013
Duke, Upenn etc. Half the trading floor at Goldman Sachs NY are Duke Alum, Morgan Stanley CEO is a Duke Alum and on the Duke Board of Trustees. UChicago, MIT are for analysts. Basically investment banks hire from all the top schools as long as your get half decent grades or you are extremely active.

edit - dont go to an undergrad business school.... kids there are douches generally and it ruins the whole point of getting a liberal arts education.

What do you mean by undergrad business school? like Wharton? I was thinking about some of the Ivies (lower ones) and a few others like Duke, Johns Hopkins and then maybe one/two lower ones. Of course it depends on what I get in my SATs
Reply 48
gyyy2807
From what I've heard people with any degree from Oxbridge/LSE are highly regarded by investment banks, which US unis have a similar reputation among investment banks?

Tier 1:
Harvard, Penn Wharton, Princeton, Stanford

Tier 2A: Dartmouth, Duke, Yale
Tier 2B: Columbia, Penn (non-Wharton)

Tier 3:
Brown, Chicago, Cornell, Georgetown, Michigan Ross, MIT Sloan, Northwestern, NYU Stern, UCB Haas, UVA

Tier 4:
UCLA, CMU, Emory, Wash U, Notre Dame, UT Austin, Rice, BYU, Amherst, Williams, Wellesley, Bowdoin, Colgate, Middlebury, Hamilton, Colby, and a few others

At least, that's how I'd put them based on my experiences and those of other people I know who've done IB internships and/or gotten hired.
Reply 49
devil09
Tier 1:
Harvard, Penn Wharton, Princeton, Stanford

Tier 2A: Dartmouth, Duke, Yale
Tier 2B: Columbia, Penn (non-Wharton)

Tier 3:
Brown, Chicago, Cornell, Georgetown, Michigan Ross, MIT Sloan, Northwestern, NYU Stern, UCB Haas, UVA

Tier 4:
UCLA, CMU, Emory, Wash U, Notre Dame, UT Austin, Rice, BYU, Amherst, Williams, Wellesley, Bowdoin, Colgate, Middlebury, Hamilton, Colby, and a few others

At least, that's how I'd put them based on my experiences and those of other people I know who've done IB internships and/or gotten hired.

What about percentages? How many percent are from Tier 1, how many from Tier 2, etc?
gyyy2807
What about McGill?

What about it ?
It is a third tier university in Canada, comparable to your Durham or Warwick. It is virtually unknown outside Canada.
Reply 51
McGill is worse than Durham or Warwick. Check out the entry requirements for Pete's sake. Canadian universities do not compare in terms of standard.
Wahay, joint fourth.
how about Wisconsin?

17th in ARWU rankings, 55th in Times World University rankings, but only 39th in USA (below Rochester and UC-San Diego??)
Reply 54
flugestuge
What about it ?
It is a third tier university in Canada, comparable to your Durham or Warwick. It is virtually unknown outside Canada.

That's funny.

Third tier? Warwick, Durham and McGill are third tier?! What elitist planet do you come from?
CocoPop
That's funny.

Third tier? Warwick, Durham and McGill are third tier?! What elitist planet do you come from?

I'll second that.

McGill is one of the best in Canada, and ranked 20 in the world per ARWU. Warwick and Durham both top 10 UK unis. when i hear 3rd tier I think of someplace like London South Bank...
CocoPop
Third tier? Warwick, Durham and McGill are third tier?

There is no controversy about that.
It is pretty well accepted.

Tier One:
Oxford, Cambridge

Tier Two:
LSE, ICL, UCL, London Business School

Tier Three:
KCL, Durham, Nottingham, Warwick, etc

Tier Four:
QM, SOAS, Goldies, Birkbeck, etc

Tier Five:
TVU, London Met, UEL, LSB,
LongTall&Cool
McGill is one of the best in Canada, and ranked 20 in the world per ARWU.

Wisconsin is 17th in ARWU rankings.
ARWU rankings mean **** .
flugestuge
Wisconsin is 17th in ARWU rankings.
ARWU rankings mean **** .

what's wrong with wisconsin?
flugestuge
There is no controversy about that.
It is pretty well accepted.

Tier One:
Oxford, Cambridge

Tier Two:
LSE, ICL, UCL, London Business School

Tier Three:
KCL, Durham, Nottingham, Warwick, etc

Tier Four:
QM, SOAS, Goldies, Birkbeck, etc

Tier Five:
TVU, London Met, UEL, LSB,

it's rather hard not to be a tier 3 school when you only place 3 schools per tier...

Latest

Trending

Trending