Tier Two:
LSE, ICL, UCL, London Business School

Tier Three:
KCL, Durham, Nottingham, Warwick, etc

Tier Four:
QM, SOAS, Goldies, Birkbeck, etc

Tier Five:
TVU, London Met, UEL, LSB,

Well I agree with you on the general rankings you've listed there (although I don't really believe in rankings because it's difficult to quantify subjective experiences and generalize for all subjects). Instead, we seem to disagree on what constitutes 1st, 2nd and 3rd tier universities.

As for Canadian universities, I'd say that McGill, Toronto, UBC and Waterloo are all first tier. The same applies to UCL, ICL, LSE etc...

EDIT: The main flaw I see in your tier ranking is that the differences between Oxford/Cambridge and UCL are tiny, and there are areas in which UCL is superior to the former two (this is coming from someone who has firmed Oxford). Consequently, you cannot discriminate so closely between universities when the academic differences are negligible. The only real difference is prestige/name recognition, and this contributes very little towards the quality of teaching, academic rigor or student experience. In fact, it shouldn't be factored in at all.
CocoPop
the differences between Oxford/Cambridge and UCL are tiny

You must be smoking some great **** if you seriously think that.
flugestuge
You must be smoking some great **** if you seriously think that.

the intellectual horsepower between students at oxbridge and UCL is negligible. what i mean by that is, certainly, the avg oxbridge student will have performed slightly better (but better enough) on a-levels and what not than his UCL counterpart, but practically speaking, both have the same capacity for learning.

tbh, i think that the "gap" between oxbridge students and those at top 10/15 unis is negligible as well. students at all of these universities have the brains necessary to learn their subjects to a high level of proficiency.
Reply 63
McGill and U Toronto etc might be first tier to Canadians, but not internationally. Have you ever looked at say their engineering modules/curriculum? Canada is really behind in the likes of engineering/maths. McGill's general entry requirements are the equivalent of BBC in A Levels.

Latest

Trending

Trending