The Student Room Group

Manchester University or Manchester Met for Fashion??

Hey,

I'm looking at doing Fashion somewhere in Manchester. I like the sound of Fashion & Textiles Retailing at Manchester Uni, but there seems like there are alot more options fashion-wise at Manchester Met for example International Fashion Marketing, Fashion Buying etc which do appeal to me slightly more... But some people have said to me that Met is a mickey mouse Uni and employers don't regard it very highly. Is this true or is it better for art!?

x
Reply 1
Go to Man Uni if you can. Man Met is an ex polytechnic and whilst some polytechnics are perfectly good, Man Met won't do you any favours really. Man Uni has a better rep, and is more prestigious that Man Met. Look at each course and what they entail, go to both open days and talk to leturers and decide which uni you feel suits you best.
Reply 2
Man Uni because i may be goin there:wink:
Reply 3
Manchester Met is well known for its art & design courses. So say a science based degree from man met might not be highly regarded in the science world but for an art degree the employers in the industry it's a respected institution to obtain your degree from. So you're right in thinking that it's got a better rep for art than other courses it may offer. If you look at the history of ex-polys they are usually made up of technical colleges and art colleges.

Saying that though I'd assume that the course at the University of Manchester would be good, but I'm not too sure about fashion degrees to be honest.

As someone else has said it'd be good to visit open days to get a feel for the place. Both uni's main campus' are on the same road anyway.
Reply 4
If you want to do fashion, you need to decide what course you want to do, because they are different.

Buying and marketing will be fine at Manchester University. Design isn't (a friend of a friend just graduated and she's saying she wasted 3 years of her life because they didn't learn pattern cutting or anything)

To be perfectly honest unless you have your heart absolutely set on manchester, don't do a fashion degree up there. The industry is so competitive you have to be at one of the top- at least a university that does GFW shows (or in the case of UAL, a high profile degree show)

If you want to be a buyer or a merchandiser you can go straight into paid training and work your way up
Reply 5
smile09
Go to Man Uni if you can. Man Met is an ex polytechnic and whilst some polytechnics are perfectly good, Man Met won't do you any favours really. Man Uni has a better rep, and is more prestigious that Man Met. Look at each course and what they entail, go to both open days and talk to leturers and decide which uni you feel suits you best.

The poly debate doesn't stick with art courses. Some of the best courses are at ex polys.

Take the Leeds Fashion Design degree. You need BBB, they won't consider foundation and they don't even meet you let alone see your work. Anyone could get on as long as they get the grades. So the quality of the students is much lower than a real degree in the subject where you get in based on the quality of your work and skills
Man Met because it's awesome in every way :wink:
Reply 7
If you want to do fashion, then Man Met is probably better.
Reply 8
As someone said above, Manchester Met is known for its good art & design courses, and has its own art school. I think they'll have a better course for fashion compared to Manchester Uni, as they're more reknown for their more academic courses. The fashion course may well be more academic based too, rather than practical.
Reply 9
for fashion design course, man met for sure.
although some other design course like architecture...they are teach in the same school call msa [ jointly run by mu and mmu.]

and look for those design competition, like new designer,gfw.....
mmu wins a lot, even those london lecturers known them very well.
:biggrin:

Latest