The Student Room Group
motoroller
Any example essays, tips, technique or any other advice.......... because I need some at least before the exam!!! Thanks

Thanks again

well its a media test usually were given so just learn how to explain your point, argue and describe and your different language e.g emotive language....technical language etc....

good luck for tomorrow im doing the same paper :smile: xoxo
Reply 2
personally I avoid any descriptive pieces...way too vague for my liking. I prefer sticking to really basic normal arguements or persuasive pieces. Helps if its something you feel strongly or about..or if it's a situation you can empathise with.
sorry aboodz cudnt help realising ur arabic grades there - is A2 a lot harder then GCSE cos i have done GCSE arabic and was thinking of AS - how did u find the jump also have u done A2 yet?
www.bbc.co.uk
www.s-cool.co.uk

both useful in giving u tips for paper 1 and paper 2 in english language just to go back to topic :biggrin:
Reply 5
motoroller
Any example essays, tips, technique or any other advice.......... because I need some at least before the exam!!! Thanks

Thanks again

If you've done past paper, you will be fine for english. In section B when writing about something, make sure you write in full detail, good strucuture/language, form, humour if neccessary, and use loads of verbs, adjectives, connective words, etc...
Reply 6
motoroller

Thanks again

you can read broadsheet newspaper and analyse the language. Then you can read biased ones, like some tabloids and analyse the language.
Then you can go on ur examboards website and have a look at exam questions. Make a plan and type in on comp an essay of your typing is fast.
Thats what i do.lol
wot bout tips for the media piece - i find media easy - got good marks in courseowkr but i always find hte questions r worded really crap and i cant relate to it?
Reply 8
My bro done the past papers for Nov and June 2004. November was a media text for section A, and in june it's a non fiction text. There is a possibility for june 2005 to have a media text for section A (paper 1).
Reply 9
how long should the essay for argue / persuade be??
Reply 10
motoroller
how long should the essay for argue / persuade be??

One page single side or double side.
Reply 11
Quality not quantity...
Reply 12
but you still need to have about a side down surely....
Reply 13
2 sides in average for a decent grade - C or above.
wow thats loads i did a page and got a B in mocks for argue
Reply 15
asadtamimi
sorry aboodz cudnt help realising ur arabic grades there - is A2 a lot harder then GCSE cos i have done GCSE arabic and was thinking of AS - how did u find the jump also have u done A2 yet?

umm well if you found GCSE arabic realllly realllly realllly piss easy (like I did) then A2 shouldn't be that different. For Unit 1 you just need to be able to answer some simple questions based on a text they give you...usually always about media or politics or arab culture or sports etc etc. You also need to be able to translate from arabic - english (which I find fine since I kinda do it all the time at home). The last bit is just a mini 250 word essay on some boringly repetitive topic (e.g. write a letter to your friend telling him/her about...). Nothing that requires too much thought or revision if you're OK at arabic.

A2 is fine as well...its pretty much the same as AS. You've got a bunch of text-based questions at the beginning...then english-arabic translation (which is a bit trickier..but they won't give you anything TOO hard). The only difference is you have to answer 2 essay questions. One is usually about a novel or something that you can study (by najib mahfouth)..or you can choose to do arabic media..or poetry. You have a wide choice.

I'm going to be doing A2 and AS in one go...I actually finished my unit 1 (AS) a week ago and I have my A2 exam after tomorrow.

Sorry for going off topic..I guess you can PM me if you have any more questions.
Reply 16
asadtamimi
wow thats loads i did a page and got a B in mocks for argue

i wrote 2 pages and half and got a B for arguing.lol.I guess it is also quality not quantity. But I advise to write 2 pages in average to cover a wide range of points made with a good explanation of them.#

btw, do you think arguing is easier than persuading?
Reply 17
IZZY!
2 sides in average for a decent grade - C or above.

true, side of A4 - 2 sides, anymore than that and you're either repeating the point you've already made or desperately trying too hard and rambling on about random stuff

Latest