The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tallon
I don't know why you've sweared so much or got so angry in your last couple posts. Nor do I know why you neg repped me, or why you're contiuing this pointless discussion. Or HOW you cna call me stupid, claim to be studying medicine but also use elipses in your paragraphs and use "yours incorrectly numerous times".

Seriously, just drop it. I do further maths. I apply for universities for maths. I know what I'm talking about, lol.

ha you might think you know what YOU'RE talking about but i think YOU are fooling only YOUR self......YOU think i am wrong but YOU havn't thought about what aspect of the spectrum i'm coming from and how i havn't actually said YOU'RE wrong about further maths being respected, im simply stating what other, highly qualified, important people have told me. we are both right about what we are both talking about but it was YOU who started this in the first place by telling me i was completely wrong when i was blatently not and i would love for YOU to ring the universities themselves that i have talked to so you can find out for YOURself that i am right........

YOU were so immature that you had to neg rep me back just because i negged you! haha now thats being insecure.....i actually had a reason...you just did it because you were angry i did it to you.....get over YOURself mate....YOU can keep telling me all day long YOU do further maths but if im really honest.....that doesnt make one bit of difference, otherwise YOU wouldnt have set this post up in the first place! LOL:biggrin:
Reply 21
SK-mar
ha you might think you know what YOU'RE talking about but i think YOU are fooling only YOUR self......YOU think i am wrong but YOU havn't thought about what aspect of the spectrum i'm coming from and how i havn't actually said YOU'RE wrong about further maths being respected, im simply stating what other, highly qualified, important people have told me. we are both right about what we are both talking about but it was YOU who started this in the first place by telling me i was completely wrong when i was blatently not and i would love for YOU to ring the universities themselves that i have talked to so you can find out for YOURself that i am right........

YOU were so immature that you had to neg rep me back just because i negged you! haha now thats being insecure.....i actually had a reason...you just did it because you were angry i did it to you.....get over YOURself mate....YOU can keep telling me all day long YOU do further maths but if im really honest.....that doesnt make one bit of difference, otherwise YOU wouldnt have set this post up in the first place! LOL:biggrin:

Yeah... obviously that was my only reason, right? Not all these ridiculous posts you've made.

What you've said about further maths to OP is wrong. I'd sure love to see you talk to cambridge maths students or proffessors (or studnets/proffessors at any unversity) and tell them that further maths is nothing more than an add-on and more or less useless at A2. It helps loads for first year uni maths epsecially and it's probably the hardest A level there is. So just drop it.
Tallon
Sorry. what?

Further maths is an A level in it's own right and it's recognized as one of the most respected and certainlly one of the hardest. The only places that don't accept it too well are some medical courses. But for everything else it's really respected.

And it is NOT just some add-on to maths. Everything you do is different. It's more maths.

Anyway, a lot of people (in my school anyway) who did further maths are going on to do something maths-related at university. Only one medic took it (and is dropping it this year at AS after getting like a C and not really caring for it). It's difficult but doable although I've only done the AS thus far. I do intend to carry it on to A2 though. I wouldn't bother doing it if you don't want to do nothing maths-realted in the future though.

The previous poster is right, in a sense. Some universities look at Further Maths and, because it's extra Maths, they don't seem to like accepting it as another A Level. Something like that was what I was told when I chose my A Levels, and so whilst most people dropped from 4 AS' to 3 A2s, my further maths class MUST do 4 A2s, no choice about it! However, if you're thinking of doing Maths at degree level, I'm sure the universities would see it as a respected subject.

As for the OP, I don't think that would matter too much (about it not being accepted as such), because you would be doing 5 A Levels, and seeing as universities normally only ask for 3 A Levels, I'm sure it would be fine.

Also, OP, did you do any Additional Maths or similar at GCSE level? It can be quite advantageous!
Reply 23
Tallon
Yeah... obviously that was my only reason, right? Not all these ridiculous posts you've made.

What you've said about further maths to OP is wrong. I'd sure love to see you talk to cambridge maths students or proffessors (or studnets/proffessors at any unversity) and tell them that further maths is nothing more than an add-on and more or less useless at A2. It helps loads for first year uni maths epsecially and it's probably the hardest A level there is. So just drop it.

OMG DO YOU ACTUALLY NOT USE YOU EYES PROPERLY.....i said it wasnt me stating that maths is an add-on its the views of senior admissions tutors and teachers at the unis ive visited in the hope of studying medicine/dentistry and a few other science based courses.....seriously talking to you is like talking at a brick wall (thats how much you take in)

equally i'd find it hilarious for you to go to kings college and talk to the senior dentists there....:wink:

now lets drop it...
Reply 24
cantstop-x
The previous poster is right, in a sense. Some universities look at Further Maths and, because it's extra Maths, they don't seem to like accepting it as another A Level. Something like that was what I was told when I chose my A Levels, and so whilst most people dropped from 4 AS' to 3 A2s, my further maths class MUST do 4 A2s, no choice about it! However, if you're thinking of doing Maths at degree level, I'm sure the universities would see it as a respected subject.

As for the OP, I don't think that would matter too much (about it not being accepted as such), because you would be doing 5 A Levels, and seeing as universities normally only ask for 3 A Levels, I'm sure it would be fine.

Also, OP, did you do any Additional Maths or similar at GCSE level? It can be quite advantageous!

OMG thank you for backing my point (its true isn't it) .......for some reason tallon wouldn't take it from me please try and talk some sense into him lol.....

firstly, he starts with this thread which obviously shows you hes a bit unsure about his course of action with respect to further maths ....but then all of sudden he knows all about it and that its highly prestigious.......make your mind up is what i think lol....:yep:

ps. i agree if you want to take maths to A-level then it will be respected no doubt but he didnt specify that and most other courses wouldn't have exactly the same view...
Reply 25
SK-mar, see a psychologist. Please, regardless of how you were both arguing different angles that both really just complemented cantstop-x's answer. You clearly have issues when you say it's immeasurably offensive if someone disagrees with you on a discussion forum, call someone childish for reciprocating with neg-repping (hypocrite much?), and then convince yourself you've destroyed their argument by saying that their opinion isn't the same as yours and so must be wrong regardless of anything else.
Reply 26
To be honest SK-mar, you made the point about further maths being nothing more than an add-on (for medicine) which is slightly misleading. I said it's not. Then a huge arugment blew out, lol. Notice how I havn't had to swear or anything. All I said was that you were wrong, why you took it so personally, I don't know.

I also understand cantstop's point. But again, further maths is very respected if you're not doing medicine. And as she says, it's important if you want to do something quantitive in the future as a degree. Not just maths SK-mar, but anything quantitive at all.

I could give you links to websites of universities or websites about further maths with quotes about how useful it is from admission tutors or students but I'm really tired of talking to you. Plus the OP hasn't psoted for awhile so this thread is even more pointless. You know you're wasting your life if you get into a neg repping competition over a topic on a student forum about further maths.
Tallon
I don't know why you've sweared so much or got so angry in your last couple posts. Nor do I know why you neg repped me, or why you're contiuing this pointless discussion. Or HOW you cna call me stupid, claim to be studying medicine but also use elipses in your paragraphs and use "yours incorrectly numerous times".

Seriously, just drop it. I do further maths. I apply for universities for maths. I know what I'm talking about, lol.

You are both stupid. Case closed.
Reply 28
Deep456
You are both stupid. Case closed.

Yeah what you did there was highlight some mistakes then repeat what I already said. So you're really only making it worse by doing that. If you want to talk about what's stupid I think bringing up an old post on a dead topic to tell both parties that they are stupid and then say case closed is pretty bloody stupid.
Tallon

That bit is very true, I think alot of first year Maths modules at uni are quite similar to Further Maths modules... Think of it as having a head-start! Yay!
Reply 30
Further maths isn't just an "add on". It's an extra subject in its rights - one of the hardest a levels.
Tallon
Yeah what you did there was highlight some mistakes then repeat what I already said. So you're really only making it worse by doing that. If you want to talk about what's stupid I think bringing up an old post on a dead topic to tell both parties that they are stupid and then say case closed is pretty bloody stupid.

A topic that is 20minutes old is dead? :rolleyes: I think you just justified my point. :wink:
Reply 32
I'm almost exactly the same as you but a year older. I was also faced with the option of taking further maths and definitely taking biology, chemistry english and maths. Further maths will push you more than any of the others but I find this a good thing. I didn't really feel pushed by GCSEs or the other 4 AS levels but Further maths will make you feel a bit stupid when you don't get it yet really intelligent when you do.

I'd say that you should do it and then drop it if you really don't like it. It is intense but also very satisfying and loads of people do 4 A levels, not many do 5.
Reply 33
Tallon
To be honest SK-mar, you made the point about further maths being nothing more than an add-on (for medicine) which is slightly misleading. I said it's not. Then a huge arugment blew out, lol. Notice how I havn't had to swear or anything. All I said was that you were wrong, why you took it so personally, I don't know.

I also understand cantstop's point. But again, further maths is very respected if you're not doing medicine. And as she says, it's important if you want to do something quantitive in the future as a degree. Not just maths SK-mar, but anything quantitive at all.

I could give you links to websites of universities or websites about further maths with quotes about how useful it is from admission tutors or students but I'm really tired of talking to you. Plus the OP hasn't psoted for awhile so this thread is even more pointless. You know you're wasting your life if you get into a neg repping competition over a topic on a student forum about further maths.

ok ok, im sorry because i did act slightly out of order and took things personally, i guess i was just angry because you weren't seeing my side of things but then again we all have different thoughts on similar cases which i respect......i don't want you to be sick of talking to me because thats not what im like, i just think we both blew the argument out of proportion and this thread became more about our argument than about your original question lol....im willing to start afresh if you are?!

and just to say it one last time.....i don't think further maths is an add-on at all...in fact i think its one of the hardest A-levels out there......just if you were applying for Medicine/Dentistry, some unis think on those lines, but as your not it doesn't imply to you...:smile:
Reply 34
46Bit
SK-mar, see a psychologist. Please, regardless of how you were both arguing different angles that both really just complemented cantstop-x's answer. You clearly have issues when you say it's immeasurably offensive if someone disagrees with you on a discussion forum, call someone childish for reciprocating with neg-repping (hypocrite much?), and then convince yourself you've destroyed their argument by saying that their opinion isn't the same as yours and so must be wrong regardless of anything else.

Lol yeh i guess from first time readers i come across as a mad-man.....:smile:
Reply 35
I have recently finished a Mathematics degree at Lancaster University and all I have to say is that Further Maths helped me a great deal.

First year of uni was essentially a repeat of what I had learnt in FM.
Obviously there was some new material aswell but FM definitely gives you that grounding to easily take it on.

Also if you are applying for a Mathematics degree, further Maths is a must!

I remember my visit day at Leeds University.
The Maths tutor told us that if we got A's in both Maths and Further Maths you would be accepted immediately, completely disregarding any other A levels.

I came out with a solid 2:1 btw :smile:
Reply 36
Jaswahhihi
I have recently finished a Mathematics degree at Lancaster University and all I have to say is that Further Maths helped me a great deal.

First year of uni was essentially a repeat of what I had learnt in FM.
Obviously there was some new material aswell but FM definitely gives you that grounding to easily take it on.

Also if you are applying for a Mathematics degree, further Maths is a must!

I remember my visit day at Leeds University.
The Maths tutor told us that if we got A's in both Maths and Further Maths you would be accepted immediately, completely disregarding any other A levels.

I came out with a solid 2:1 btw :smile:

good to know. Nice first post on TSR btw. Hope your career goes well.

Latest