The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scottish Law vs. English Law

How differnt is scottish law and can you get the same job opportunities after?
Hi, i wish to study law next year and have chosen 4 english unis to apply to which leaves a fifth decision to make between bristol university and the university of edinburgh, knowing that this will probably my second choice.
Im stuck and i dont know whether to apply to edinburgh with its international reputation and slightly lower requirement (but scottish law and 4years instaed of 3) or whether to apply to bristol
I wanted to know what u guys might think or know about this dilemna on scottish law or have an opinion on the unis which i dont honestly know much about...
Reply 1
Don't be fooled by Edinburgh's BBB policy - it's just the absolute minimum you need for them to even look at your application. The de facto requirements are much higher - they generally only let you in with Bs if you have some special circumstances and a great personal statement.

Plus, Edinburgh is an awesome city to be a student in, go there :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
thanks so you think scottish law isnt an issue to work in england after?
Reply 3
You will have to do a conversion course if you wanted to practice law in England and Wales.
Reply 4
so is it worth going to edinbrugh instead of bristol? cauz edinbrugh is already 4years not 3 plus the added conversion course...
Reply 5
I'd pick bristol if I were you. You can't practice scottish law in england :P which would make finding a job veryyyy difficult and apparently the conversion course is really expensive and hard to get into, plus I don't think a lot of unis do it.
Reply 6
ok thanks a lot... being unfamilar with this whole scots law thing i was already leaning towards bristol anyways... except for edinbrughs international rep. but i guess bristol is pretty good as well
Reply 7
Even if you went to Edinburgh, you still have to do the diploma and 2 years of training in a legal practice, adding all that together and then the conversion course (not sure how long it is, I presume 1, 2 years?) You're taking on quite a lot when you could have just go down the easy route and gone to bristol. That's unless you want to work in scotland.
Reply 8
thanks, yes i guess bristol seems like the logical choice to be a barrister/solicitor in england... problem is im not 100% sure i want to go into the legal proffesion after... might like to branch off to finance or business or something and employer & internationally i believe edinbrugh is better?

Latest

Trending

Trending