The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Jack Sparrow
Its aright not too bad.

Remember that the specifications have changed so the advice on this might not be necessary true.

I see, well there seems to be a lot of topics to choose from in the new spec. One of my concerns is that they have made some further changes, after the new spec was introduced. So the new-spec textbooks wont contain all the extra updated info. I can get an A but only if I have all the content and just some exam technique guidance really.
jfox223

GCSE: A* AS level: A:biggrin:

Ditto :biggrin:
35mm_
AQA is fine, that's what I'm on. As long as you're midly intelligent you'll be perfectly okay in getting an A without too much work. Basically (if they don't change the spec from the one I did) you'll do 4 topics in both Philosophy and Ethics (which you'll treat as two different subjects/exams) so 8 topics in total. For the exam, you'll choose to do 2 topics from a total of 4, so you could just revise 2 topics for each exam and do fine.

Oh, for Philosophy you'll do:
- Miracles.
- Design.
- Quantum Mechanics.
- And I've completely forgotten the fourth, poor memory!

For Ethics:
- Utilitarianism.
- Situation Ethics.
- Abortion & Euthanasia.
- The Value of Human Life, or something like that.

Creation. :smile:
I did those exact modules! ^^

I prefer sociology to RE and I think RE is harder than it looks :frown:
Reply 23
its not too hard as long as you pay attention!... just like any other subject. I hated first year, but enjoyed the 2nd year for some reason. for my 2nd year i chose capital punishment as my synposis, its good once u get into it :smile: the debating bit is alsooo gooooood :smile:
jabed786
I see, well there seems to be a lot of topics to choose from in the new spec. One of my concerns is that they have made some further changes, after the new spec was introduced. So the new-spec textbooks wont contain all the extra updated info. I can get an A but only if I have all the content and just some exam technique guidance really.

Are you self teaching?

They've made new books for the new specifications. So the content should be well covered.
Reply 25
I did Edexcel RS (Philsophy and Ethics modules) I really loved it, and didn't find it too hard. I'd agree with Smoosh; you need good essay writing skills, although they'll develop easily enough with time and practice. It's also a subject that can be quite easy to pick up marks on, at AS I got a B overall, with full marks in my coursework and and a low C in the essay paper. At A2, I got 300/300 UMS - there's so much scope to the subject that you'll be able to find ways of answering the questions anyway.
Reply 26
Jack Sparrow
Are you self teaching?

They've made new books for the new specifications. So the content should be well covered.

Well I'm hoping that at 6th form I can do both AS and A2 in a year OR do AS there and I will study A2 at home.
But in general I will be using a textbook and will do a lot of studying at home since I need an A.
Do you know any good textbooks?
I’m taking religious studies for a levels is it a difficult a level my options were limited I’m worried about a levels thanks
Reply 28
Original post by Aronwills4
I’m taking religious studies for a levels is it a difficult a level my options were limited I’m worried about a levels thanks

I did RS at A level and i really enjoyed it! It’s a really interesting subject and there’s lots of opportunity for discussion especially if you’ve got a good teacher who plans that into the lessons.

I do think it was difficult but not like impossibly difficult if you get me. To be honest a lot of the content isn’t too difficult to understand but the hard part is the sheer volume that you have to learn. The exam questions are often quite specific so you have to know a lot of stuff in a lot of detail. For this reason i did find it more difficult than history (which i did in y12) bc that had a lot more broad exam questions. But like my other a levels were maths and physics so i thought RS was easier than them. I found year 13 quite a bit more difficult than year 12 as well but i think this was bc our teachers got higher expectations for our essays and so a lot of our grades dropped a bit for a while, but my grade in the end didn’t suffer.

So basically the amount of content that you have to learn is kind of crazy but i wouldn’t worry about it at this point, and like i say it is really interesting and a great subject!

Latest

Trending

Trending