The Student Room Group

Will I get into university?

Okay so you're not the admissions office but realistically what chances do I have of getting into university?

My teachers are putting our predicted grades on our applications.

I have a lot of extra curricular stuff going on as well. I'm applying to study a join honours in Biology and Psychology and REALLY want to get into the Manchester Metropolitan university

What are my chances????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*sighs*
In a word, good. As long as you meet those predictions.
Diaz89
*sighs*

An entirely useless answer. I apologise if my grades aren't upto TSR's extra high standards

(Rolls eyes and sighs sarcastically)
Reply 4
BritPakistaniMuslimah
An entirely useless answer. I apologise if my grades aren't upto TSR's extra high standards

Well it's as useless as your question, why did you even ask it if you know the obvious?

(Rolls eyes and sighs sarcastically)

yeah you can simply use this :rolleyes: genius
Reply 5
If you achieve those grades plus a well written PS you stand a good chance:smile:
Reply 6
Certainly reasonable as MMU's typical offer will probably be in the range of 200 - 300 points. Those aren't bad A-levels either, although you'd preferably have maths. I'd check with the departments of the universities you'd like to apply to and check this.

I'm not sure how much attention they'll pay to your Urdu grade if its a first language/a language you're already fluent in. As for extra curriculars, different universities (and departments) vary in how they see then. But don't think you need tonnes of them. Typically (and I stress this isn't always the case) universities aren't as obssessed with extra curricular activities as the American universities and sixth formers expect. Ideally your extra-curriculars will be related to your chosen degree subject. Don't let the personal statement (another important aspect of your application) get dominated by extra curriculars as your academics and the reason why you've chosen the degree are more important.

So as for as grades go, you're in the right ball park. Subject choice is OK, although the lack of maths at AS/A-level may be a stumbling block when applying to certain universities. But there are other parts of an application to consider including personal statement.
Diaz89
Well it's as useless as your question, why did you even ask it if you know the obvious?

yeah you can simply use this :rolleyes: genius

Are you serious? Their entry requirements hit the roof. Especially biology I think they wanted A's or something, plus I don't know if I can get a B in chemistry anyway
River85
Certainly reasonable as MMU's typical offer will probably be in the range of 200 - 300 points. Those aren't bad A-levels either, although you'd preferably have maths. I'd check with the departments of the universities you'd like to apply to and check this.

I'm not sure how much attention they'll pay to your Urdu grade if its a first language/a language you're already fluent in. As for extra curriculars, different universities (and departments) vary in how they see then. But don't think you need tonnes of them. Typically (and I stress this isn't always the case) universities aren't as obssessed with extra curricular activities as the American universities and sixth formers expect. Ideally your extra-curriculars will be related to your chosen degree subject. Don't let the personal statement (another important aspect of your application) get dominated by extra curriculars as your academics and the reason why you've chosen the degree are more important.

So as for as grades go, you're in the right ball park. Subject choice is OK, although the lack of maths at AS/A-level may be a stumbling block when applying to certain universities. But there are other parts of an application to consider including personal statement.

U-oh :frown: thanks for your answer though :smile:
You should be ashamed of yourself for worrying whether you'll get into Manchester Met Uni on TSR. If you can't make it in, you seriously shouldn't be here.
Reply 10
BritPakistaniMuslimah
Are you serious? Their entry requirements hit the roof. Especially biology I think they wanted A's or something, plus I don't know if I can get a B in chemistry anyway

this is MMU not the University of Manchester, they want 220 ucas points.
Liverpool F.C.™
You should be ashamed of yourself for worrying whether you'll get into Manchester Met Uni on TSR. If you can't make it in, you seriously shouldn't be here.

Haha, didn't know this forum was for the big brains of britain. I thought it was 'The student room', a place where students congregate

ROFL y'know all you super clever people on TSR are actually quite funny in your arrogance. You may have your A's but you don't actually know how to be nice to people
Reply 12
BritPakistaniMuslimah
U-oh :frown: thanks for your answer though :smile:

No worries,

Psychology isn't my area, so it's best you go to the psychology forum and get the opinion from experts there. I've only seen a couple of universities ask for AS-level maths for a psychology degree so I really don't think it's an issue. Most will be happy with GCSE maths, providing you have a good standard (often a B grade or above). I did have a look at MMU's website and the information is a little misleading, it looks like only biology is required at A-level and English, Science and Maths at GCSE.

As for not including Urdu, you still have three decent A-levels there so I don't think it'll harm your chances significantly. But I'm not an admissions tutor :p:
BritPakistaniMuslimah
Haha, didn't know this forum was for the big brains of britain. I thought it was 'The student room', a place where students congregate

ROFL y'know all you super clever people on TSR are actually quite funny in your arrogance. You may have your A's but you don't actually know how to be nice to people

Do you?
Deutsch_Beth
Do you?

I'm only judging based on my time spent on TSR. And yes, I don't look down on people with lower or higher grades than me. I also don't say to them they should be 'ashamed'
BritPakistaniMuslimah

I'm not super clever. I don't even have any A's.

Spoiler

Reply 16
Yes, BBB would be more than enough to get onto almost any degree course at MMU. Most people get in with C grades. It's the University of Manchester who are looking for As and Bs.
BritPakistaniMuslimah
I'm only judging based on my time spent on TSR. And yes, I don't look down on people with lower or higher grades than me. I also don't say to them they should be 'ashamed'

Well you only have 40 posts, so thats a very short amount of time spent on TSR in which to become the expert on the attitude and intelligence of everyone on TSR and to judge that everyone looks down on you, when in fact there are a few bored people who look down on you for want or something more productive to do.

I wasn't 'looking' down on you at all, simply suprised at the force of your reaction to the people mentioned above. If you don't like replies to your threads, simply ignore them and concentrate on the positive ones.

Edit: And thanks for the -rep :K:
as long as you meet the requirements then probably yes

we are not mind readers though, so we don't truely know
BritPakistaniMuslimah
Okay so you're not the admissions office but realistically what chances do I have of getting into university?

My teachers are putting our predicted grades on our applications. My predicted are: B in Biology, B in Chemistry, B/A in Psychology and A/B in Urdu language

I have a lot of extra curricular stuff going on as well. I'm applying to study a join honours in Biology and Psychology and REALLY want to get into the Manchester Metropolitan university

What are my chances????

i think you're chances are quite good....just try your best to get those grades, and concentrate on wirting a good personal statement...hopefully you'll get in :smile:

oh and ignore the idiots on this thread

Latest

Trending

Trending