The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford needs 3 Referees (postgrad apps)?

I went to Oxfords online postgrad application and it states there it wants 3 referees? Oh Lord i just got two and that two alone takes weeks to get. Is it ok if i just past two instead of three?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just go to the FA - they have loads.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
newman24x
I went to Oxfords online postgrad application and it states there it wants 3 referees? Oh Lord i just got two and that two alone takes weeks to get. Is it ok if i just past two instead of three?

Contact the faculty you are applying to and ask them. DtS
Reply 3
Aack
Just go to the FA - they have loads.

what is FA?:s-smilie:
newman24x
what is FA?:s-smilie:

The Football Association.
Reply 5
Yea it's absolutely ridiculous. You're unlikely to even come into contact with 3 people at undergrad who are high up enough and know you well enough to write a good reference. I noticed I only had two references a week before the application deadline so decided to take a gap year instead (which I was probably going to take anyway, but that clinched it).
Reply 6
KwungSun
Yea it's absolutely ridiculous. You're unlikely to even come into contact with 3 people at undergrad who are high up enough and know you well enough to write a good reference. I noticed I only had two references a week before the application deadline so decided to take a gap year instead (which I was probably going to take anyway, but that clinched it).

I got two Asso Prof for references. Is that good enough? Perhaps the third will just be a normal lecturer. really don't have the time and i might just ask her to do it for me next week Monday and send it back to me on Friday (i'm quite close to her)

this is silly. most uni just want two. :frown:
newman24x

this is silly. most uni just want two. :frown:

You might think so, but if you want to go to Oxford you have to be prepared to jump through the hoops they are setting up for you. You had the definitive answer at post number 3.
most people don't apply for postgrad courses till january so there's no rush...
Reply 9
KwungSun

Are you serious?:s-smilie: I had no trouble at all finding three referees...
It might be subject-dependent, though. I'd imagine PPE-ists get moved around lots of different tutors more.
The number of referees is subject dependent isn't it?

And the statement re: not meeting enough people - dissertation supervisor, academic supervisor and head of department (or something vaguely similiar) - what's so hard about that?
Reply 11
apotoftea

Not really. It's three references for all subjects, although some departments say they'll consider applications with just two.
hobnob
Not really. It's three references for all subjects, although some departments say they'll consider applications with just two.

Ohh ok *shuffes off*
Reply 13
hobnob
Are you serious?:s-smilie: I had no trouble at all finding three referees...
It might be subject-dependent, though. I'd imagine PPE-ists get moved around lots of different tutors more.

Well at undergrad I had a personal tutor who I met up with for termly progress meetings who was an obvious choice and that was pretty much it. All my class teachers were graduate students who either said they weren't qualified to write references or who didn't need to say it in the first place, so I ended up turning to lecturers whose courses I had done well in but who knew nothing about me personally. Of course I could have made more of an effort to "network", schmoozing some of the big names in the department, but I certainly wasn't spoilt for choice.

EDIT: The reason I didn't have three references was not that I couldn't find a third but that I didn't read the notes of guidance properly and assumed that two were enough until a week before the deadline when a family member scathingly informed me that that was not the case. Either way, I only came into contact with one person who I felt was in a suitable position to write an informed and effective reference.
Reply 14
I could have had more than three references if I needed it- I didn't even use my dissertation supervisor (who is the HoD) as I felt there were people who knew me and my work better- all three were Profs, one is Vice-Dean of faculty and one is former HoD. In three or four years at university, you'll have to come into contact- through tutorials and labs/seminars primarily- a decent number of people. If you've only managed to impress two of them (I reckon Ive been taught in tutorials by about 12) sufficiently to write a short reference in your support, yet still think your application is strong enough, then there's something not right. At the very least the course convenor should have access to all of your work, and should be able to put something together even if they've never met you based on the quality of what you've done- but I'd consider that the last, rather than first, resort.
Reply 15
apotoftea

And the statement re: not meeting enough people - dissertation supervisor, academic supervisor and head of department (or something vaguely similiar) - what's so hard about that?

Didn't write a dissertation and didn't know head of department.
Reply 16
KwungSun
Well at undergrad I had a personal tutor who I met up with for termly progress meetings who was an obvious choice and that was pretty much it. All my class teachers were graduate students who either said they weren't qualified to write references or who didn't need to say it in the first place, so I ended up turning to lecturers whose courses I had done well in but who knew nothing about me personally. Of course I could have made more of an effort to "network", but I certainly wasn't spoilt for choice.

What subject was this for? I had some graduate students in first year (of a four-year Scottish degree) but that was about it. After that, most modules would have 6-fortnightly hour-long seminars in which you'd be in a small discussion group with a senior academic, and you'd have six modules per year (three larger-in depth modules in fourth year, one of which is the dissertation) up until final year. Therefore, you'd probably have close contact (definitely in fourth year) with at least a couple of different academics, and you'd likely know more people from early years. I know a variety of different people who applied for postgrad in different subjects from my old university, and none were stuck with grad-students for a second or third reference. Some places rely quite heavily (often trading student satisfaction in favour of research intensiveness) on PhD students to do the bulk of the teaching, but thankfully I've never been anywhere which supports that mentality.
Reply 17
0404343m
What subject was this for? I had some graduate students in first year (of a four-year Scottish degree) but that was about it. After that, most modules would have 6-fortnightly hour-long seminars in which you'd be in a small discussion group with a senior academic, and you'd have six modules per year (three larger-in depth modules in fourth year, one of which is the dissertation) up until final year. Therefore, you'd probably have close contact (definitely in fourth year) with at least a couple of different academics, and you'd likely know more people from early years. I know a variety of different people who applied for postgrad in different subjects from my old university, and none were stuck with grad-students for a second or third reference. Some places rely quite heavily (often trading student satisfaction in favour of research intensiveness) on PhD students to do the bulk of the teaching, but thankfully I've never been anywhere which supports that mentality.

Economics/Politics at a London university not exactly famed for its level of undergraduate support.
Reply 18
hobnob

they can reject it if i did'nt have enough references?
Reply 19
newman24x
they can reject it if i did'nt have enough references?

Yes. If you don't submit a complete application, they're not obliged to consider it, which is why it would be a good idea to check with the department before omitting the third reference. I doubt it will happen very often, but why run an unnecessary risk?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending