The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can only do one minor because of my course. Am thinking of environmental science, it looks really good but i got a letter from my department yesterday advising which minors to take and they say those on BSc should do env science (or subjects like that) and those doing BA Geog should take a humanity so not sure whether to take it :P that universe as an art looks interesting. I'm waaay to indecisive with things.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
yeah ive been finding it really hard to decide and might change my mind. Some subjects like the history though sounds incredible work for just a minor while other subjects such as economics built on alevels so the choices at the end of the day seemed incredibly small, well, imo.
The best minors will really depend on what you are looking for. Some people like to choose something close to their major subject, so that their learning is all interrelated, whereas others want a break from studying the same thing all the time and choose something completely different. I have heard good things about Universe as an Art though, everyone seems to think it is a very flexible, and unique, course!
hey. i only get one minor because of my course (maths) but i'm thinking criminology.
hi, i got a place through clearing so unsure about this minor system thing, the modules i could minor in take the same amount of time, so what do i get a degree on in the end, i thought i was just doing environmental sience one subject but thats just worth 40 credits, any help?
Reply 6
Universe as an Art is regarded as somewhat of a dossy course by some people.
I had history as my main and took sociology as a minor, which was reasonable, but a bit dull, and medieval and renaissance studies, which was just more history. However, from what I understand of how they've re-done the first year history course, that's no longer possible. Which is a bit of a shame, but ah well.
Heard good things about, politics, philosophy and american studies as minors.

And environmental science is your main subject, but in the first year you take 3 different modules, so if you find you don't like it, you can switch to one of your minor subjects, or do a combined major, or take one or two modules in your second and third year from one of your minors, and the rest from environmental science
vergerefosh
Universe as an Art is regarded as somewhat of a dossy course by some people.
I had history as my main and took sociology as a minor, which was reasonable, but a bit dull, and medieval and renaissance studies, which was just more history. However, from what I understand of how they've re-done the first year history course, that's no longer possible. Which is a bit of a shame, but ah well.
Heard good things about, politics, philosophy and american studies as minors.

And environmental science is your main subject, but in the first year you take 3 different modules, so if you find you don't like it, you can switch to one of your minor subjects, or do a combined major, or take one or two modules in your second and third year from one of your minors, and the rest from environmental science

American Studies is no longer available to take this year, they are discontinuing the subjects.

Sure Universe as an Art is seen as a "doss" subject, and even though I didn't take it, I don't think that should discourage people from taking it. You need to remember that even though you can pretty much choose any Minor you need to pass it at 40% in order to proceed with your major, regardless of whether you passed your major in the first place.
Reply 8
hey, what do you think about European studies( euro100 - introduction to european studies)
darkrosebud1991
hey. i only get one minor because of my course (maths) but i'm thinking criminology.

I did Criminology as a minor in my first year and found it to be quite interesting. As with all subjects there are a few boring points but overall it was quite a good course.

My advice to anyone is to look at how many contact hours you have in each subject and try not to overload yourself, especially in your first year when your settling in. Also, because your marks don't go towards your final degree, you can go out and enjoy yourself more than in subsequent years when your workload increases and grades matter a lot more!
I found that most people I knew who could take minors did it in a different subject to the one they were choosing. Mostly so they either have a fall-back option to swap to if they don't like their main subject or just for a bit of variation (or both!)

Saying that, there is nothing stopping you doing minors related to your major course. I had some friends doing Creative Writing and English Lit, as well as one that did these as well as Linguistics!
I did Med Ren and Politics as my minors. Loved Politics [hence am keeping it on as a minor now] and enjoyed the courses I did as part of Med Ren - it meant I got to do 4 History modules covering 1050 until 1880 with only a few gaps :biggrin:. However, as mentioned, they have changed the first year History course so not sure if Med Ren is still a subject you can minor in or not.

Have a look at the course content, reading lists and contact hours. Then I would draw up a list of say 3/4 [maybe a few more if you are really finding it difficult to decide] and go to the talks in Fresher's Week. They will help, even if all they do is put you off like the Eng Lit did me lol. :smile:
I did Italian as my minor, and would only recommend doing a foreign language as a minor if you're really enthusiastic about them - I got good grades but it took up loads of my time, and I ended up doing more work for it than for my majors (English Lit and Creative Writing, which admittedly are more dossy than languages, but still...)

black_sheep, I went to the European Studies minor talk and it really put me off - it sounded very boring, and what from I've heard from people who did take it as their minor it's very heavy-going and not much fun at all :frown:

I agree with affinity89, definitely check out how much work/assessments you're going to have to do (which was my mistake with Italian, I should have looked beforehand).

Also regretting that I didn't pick Philosophy instead...
meandmylies
I did Italian as my minor, and would only recommend doing a foreign language as a minor if you're really enthusiastic about them - I got good grades but it took up loads of my time, and I ended up doing more work for it than for my majors (English Lit and Creative Writing, which admittedly are more dossy than languages, but still...)

black_sheep, I went to the European Studies minor talk and it really put me off - it sounded very boring, and what from I've heard from people who did take it as their minor it's very heavy-going and not much fun at all :frown:

I agree with affinity89, definitely check out how much work/assessments you're going to have to do (which was my mistake with Italian, I should have looked beforehand).

Also regretting that I didn't pick Philosophy instead...

really? ahhhhh, when I read about this course it seemed so interesting to me! I have already enroled it! I was even excited I could choose it.. OK, perhapsI will go to many minor talks and change something..
Don't feel you have to take my word for it... It might turn out to be your thing exactly - personally I'm more of a languages person rather than someone who likes to learn about the culture of different countries. There's nothing to say you won't enjoy it - I'd recommend going to the minor talk for it though, just to make sure :biggrin:.
Reply 15
I'm majoring in Psychology, so I only take one other subject. At the moment, I don't have a clue what I'm going to take, so I think I'll listen to a few talks! I was thinking of Criminology (module of Crime and Social Life), because it sounds very interesting. However, then I was thinking of something more related to my ideal career, so Psychology in Education sounds a good choice for that, as well as being enjoyable, but then I worry that firstly it's too much Psychology and secondly, I'll get them confused when it comes to exams!

I don't want to just pick something easy too so that I'll pass it (though I probably still wouldn't! :eek:) I want something I'll enjoy!
Reply 16
so, to clarify, i'm doing economics and finance.

so i have to go to the economics and accounting&finance major talks during freshers week? and then since i'm choosing my "minor" from the economics department, i need to go to their minor talk too?

cheers :smile:
Reply 17
I'm doing english literature & creative writing, and I'd pretty interested in doing philosophy as a minor. Does anyone know if that's possible? If not, maybe something like history?
Good choice of majors, Sophia :smile:

I'm fairly sure that with English Lit and Creative Writing there's no specific minors you have to do, so you'll have free choice. You should be able to do Philosophy I'd have thought, and it's a good idea (like you've done) to choose a second option too, just in case your first choice isn't possible - but in your case I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be.
Reply 19
meandmylies
Good choice of majors, Sophia :smile:

I'm fairly sure that with English Lit and Creative Writing there's no specific minors you have to do, so you'll have free choice. You should be able to do Philosophy I'd have thought, and it's a good idea (like you've done) to choose a second option too, just in case your first choice isn't possible - but in your case I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be.

Thank you :smile: just the help I needed

Latest

Trending

Trending