The Student Room Group

Course choice worries

Hi everyone, just came by to spread some sunshine.
I wish:p:

In another thread I've explained that i'm having troubles socially. But that's not what this threads about. I guess, without further adue:

The issue that has been nagging me in the back of my head is my course choice (Finance,accounting & management) - I've had a feeling since mid-summer holidays that I made the wrong choice here. I have hardly any interest in the business world, but I do love maths. I've never taken business or economics so I really do feel I know next to nothing about the course. The actual lectures and seminars haven't started yet, so am I too early to be thinking about changing my course? Though I also do not want to waste too much time which could be spent working on the other course and getting up-to-date etc. I really feel I have no affinity with social sciences, which must beg the question; why did I choose it in the first place?

Basically, I've had problems deciding my course - my parents put great pressure onto me to do medicine - but around the time Personal Statements were being sent, I finally owned up. Then I got pressured to pick a course quickly and this is where it got me. I obviously didn't learn from my mistakes :mad:

Yes, I know I am an indecisive idiot, but please give words of wisdom so I don't do something just as idiotic :frown:
Reply 1
no u are not an idiot, if your gut is telling you not to do it dont!!!, like you said u have no interest in the Bworld, what?? u think thats gonna change when u start having "magic" lectures(out of the blue:eek: )start lookin for the course u really want to do, the more you think about not liking yr course the more u gonna start hating it & the more you gonna start feeling stressed( i speak from experience:biggrin: ) good luc 2 u
Reply 2
thanks for replying! Well I'm not exactly too sure about what I want to do instead. I would go for natural sciences but I don't have the grades for it (it requires AAA-AAB and I got ABB). I actually would love to do graphics design or equivalent but my uni doesn't have that course. I'm leaning towards computer science or software, but I do not want to end up choosing one haphazardly just to end up in the same situation as I am in right now x_x

Is computer science closer to the social sciences or to the other ones like maths and physics?

Though I also suspect the large amount of responsibilty is also getting me unnerved and me wanting to change courses may be some kind of odd way to 'escape' it, in a sense. Which is why I've decided to give Finance a shot and still try to work damn hard on it. If for a week or two my feelings have stayed the same, or worsened, i'm seriously considering the change. Like you said, if I keep thinking I don't like the course I might just end up hating it, so I'll push those thoughts aside for now (as best as I can) and attend the lectures and seminars with a more open mind.

I.. think I should've put this thread in one of the subforums...
Reply 3
Maybe you would benefit from a gap year (so long as you organize it well).

Computer Science is very mathsy (at most places). So is Finance and Accounting, actually, though in a much more applied way. What A-Levels did you do?
Reply 4
llys
Maybe you would benefit from a gap year (so long as you organize it well).

Computer Science is very mathsy (at most places). So is Finance and Accounting, actually, though in a much more applied way. What A-Levels did you do?

Gap year? I probably want to save that as a more of a last resort. :s-smilie:
I did Biology, Mathematics (and Stats), Physics, and had AS Further Maths and Chemistry. (Though I would've Further Maths full A-level if my school told everyone about it before start of AS, and not at the END of AS :mad: - I personally did not appreciate the idea of cramming 2 years of learning in one in addition to 3 other subjects)

Being very mathsy is fine, in fact, probably what I was looking for - I much prefer that instead of the more applied approach that the social sciences have.

Latest

Trending

Trending