The Student Room Group

Invitation to interview

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oh-WOW
yes i know there are people worse of than me. I feel really sorry for them. I was complaining about flights that are advertised at £0.04 and £6.04 turn out to be £70.

OK, in all fairness, that is annoying. I just meant that it could help to keep the annoyance in check a bit if you reminded yourself that your travelling costs to Oxford will still be comparatively low, and not just compared to those of international students. Someone travelling to Oxford by train from Scotland, for example, would also be paying more...:dontknow:
Anyway, wasn't that sort of deceptive advertising supposed to become illegal? I thought I read something to that effect somewhere (it may just be wishful thinking on my part, though).
Reply 41
hobnob
OK, in all fairness, that is annoying. I just meant that it could help to keep the annoyance in check a bit if you reminded yourself that your travelling costs to Oxford will still be comparatively low, and not just compared to those of international students. Someone travelling to Oxford by train from Scotland, for example, would also be paying more...:dontknow:
Anyway, wasn't that sort of deceptive advertising supposed to become illegal? I thought I read something to that effect somewhere (it may just be wishful thinking on my part, though).

I wish. Flybe advertised cheap flights. When i booked them, turned out they added an extra £10 or something per sear for having a seat on the plane. It annoys me alot. I accept that I'll have to pay and I better get used to it saying everywhere i applied to is in the mainland but just having to pay those extra charges for stupid things annoy me. I just want them to quote me a price of how much it will cost at the start.
Reply 42
hobnob

True. Flights from North America to Europe are expensiveeee:eek3:
Oh well, for an interview at Oxford, it's worth it (in my opinion) :biggrin:
Reply 43
According to what I've heard all Oxford applicants will find out whether or not they are invited to an interview by post.

Also, as far as I've heard Oxford SEND off these letters only one week before the interviews.

My 3 questions:

- How does it work with EU students, it takes at least 3 days to send a letter by post from the UK to where I live? (Oxford DID say that we ought to contact them if we hear nothing from them up until 4 days before the interview).

- What happens if this postal strike goes on?

- If I haven't received a letter 4 days before the interview and I contact them, what will happen, what will they do?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

- F.G.
Reply 44
I'm no longer exactly sure as to the timing of it, but I'm pretty certain I only heard on the Thursday or Friday, and I was asked to arrive for the Monday evening (i.e. only 3 or so days later). As with maaany aspects of the application process, it depends on a variety of factors, but mainly your course and college. Some decisions will be made and sent faster than others. You can indeed phone them up if there is very little time remaining, and you're still uncertain as to whether or not you have an interview, though they may just tell you that it is normal, and to wait for the letter.
ferdi.g
According to what I've heard all Oxford applicants will find out whether or not they are invited to an interview by post.

Also, as far as I've heard Oxford SEND off these letters only one week before the interviews.

My 3 questions:

- How does it work with EU students, it takes at least 3 days to send a letter by post from the UK to where I live? (Oxford DID say that we ought to contact them if we hear nothing from them up until 4 days before the interview). What they say applies to everyone, unless it says otherwise.
- What happens if this postal strike goes on? There may be delays, obviously.
- If I haven't received a letter 4 days before the interview and I contact them, what will happen, what will they do? They'll tell you whether you have an interview and you can make arrangements to attend.
Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

- F.G.

Answers in red above.
I thought the strike was called off until Christmas :s-smilie:
Reply 47
Any other input?
The postal strike has been postphoned until next year, so there's no need to worry on that score.
xmarilynx
The postal strike has been postphoned

Is that a telephone call sent through the mail? :biggrin:
Reply 50
Probably not. What Good Bloke says is entirely true - rather than speculation - so nobody else can really add anything. Oxford aren't going to withdraw an interview or reject you because you freak out and call up (not least because the admissions office have no power to do that :p: so if you're worried it's okay to call them, but they're just going to say what's been said here (+/- you have an interview)
Good bloke
Is that a telephone call sent through the mail? :biggrin:

Haha, ooops :colondollar:
Postponed...it's been a long day!
Reply 52
So, no invites through email/Track? That may be problematic for EU applicants (myself included).
Reply 53
Powerhead
So, no invites through email/Track? That may be problematic for EU applicants (myself included).

exactly!

But we apparently get contacted before UK students...Then again I'm not sure on how reliable the source is :s-smilie:
Reply 54
Powerhead

... so email them a bit in advance and ask?
Reply 55
Powerhead

No nothing through track I expect. Considering Oxford don't update Track with offers until about a month (no exaggeration) after they send out the offer letters.
Powerhead

UCAS Track does not deal with interviews for any university. It tracks offers and rejections.
Reply 57
Good bloke
UCAS Track does not deal with interviews for any university. It tracks offers and rejections.

I'm sure I've seen some applicants saying how their interviews are registering via track now.....

Edit: Have just had a google and can't find any mention. I assumed from what they said that it was changing this year but maybe that was just speculation on their part...
Bekaboo
I'm sure I've seen some applicants saying how their interviews are registering via track now.....

Edit: Have just had a google and can't find any mention. I assumed from what they said that it was changing this year but maybe that was just speculation on their part...

There is nothing on the UCAS website that suggests such a change. It sounds like rumour to me.
Powerhead

I got an invitation to interview by e-mail on the 28th of November, when my interviews started on the 10th of December. I was under the impression that it is standard policy to email invitations to applicants from outside the UK, but you can make sure by just emailing the admissions officer at your college and requesting notification by email.

Never heard of anyone getting invited to interview through Track.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending