The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd go into psychiatry, I don't like needles or blood but I do like sitting down
pathologist, doing postmortems would be badass.
Reply 42
*sigh*

And so it descends...
Reply 43
Most med students I have spoken to say that they change their minds so many times that they lose count lol.
Reply 44
wintersunset
pathologist, doing postmortems would be badass.

Yeah, how cool! :stupid:
Reply 45
GodspeedGehenna
At this incredibly premature point in time, I'd say Neurosurgery is very interesting in terms of its content, although I haven't yet seen what the speciality is like in terms of working life.

Could be a more relaxed working life :p: From the little I know, it's one of the more intense working lives in medicine as it's a very consultant led specialty (I guess due to the rather 'extreme' nature of it) so you would be in the hospital a lot, making decisions and so forth.
Reply 46
i'd also say surgery :smile:
cardiothoracic surgery to be precise!
Alex D
Yeah, how cool! :stupid:

i wonder if they know how boring post mortems can be!
Reply 48
Subcutaneous
i wonder if they know how boring post mortems can be!
PMs are, generally speaking, pretty awful in this country, the Europeans do it much better, particularly the Germans - they have much more histopath capability.
Renal
PMs are, generally speaking, pretty awful in this country, the Europeans do it much better, particularly the Germans - they have much more histopath capability.

Prof Guther Von Hagens is a pretty lidge example.
i think they're pretty chilled. patient's dead, less stress, responsibilities... now that's a more relaxed working life.
Reply 51
wintersunset
i think they're pretty chilled. patient's dead, less stress, responsibilities... now that's a more relaxed working life.

Yes, but think of your work day in, day out. Post mortems don't form the major part of a pathologist's work. Specifically histopathologists (who I think do the bulk of the post mortems) spend a lot of time looking at tissue slides and samples to provide a diagnosis. Not a particuarly interesting specialty to me personally, although I can see how the lifestyle (similar to the GP lifestyle?) appeals.
anaesthesia or GUM.
Reply 53
wintersunset

Smells pretty bloody awful though.

At the moment, ITU sounds theoretically most attractive, but now I've worked in Paeds and know I could (hopefully) cope with it, I might say that. NB to those who said Paeds because they hate adults though - you still have to deal with adults, only these ones aren't sick, just mad at you...
I change my mind regularly and will probably still continue to do so once I start working, but for now i want to do Paeds, probably neonates.
Alex D
although I can see how the lifestyle (similar to the GP lifestyle?) appeals.
until you factor in the research and late emergency case aspect of the job anyway
Reply 56
crazyhelicopter
until you factor in the research and late emergency case aspect of the job anyway

In which case :sigh:. (I know I shouldn't cross specialties out this early but I seriously can never see myself as a pathologist. I don't love microscopes and histology enough :p:).
Reply 57
Watched a video in biology of a German doctor dissecting a dead body for research purposes and the manner in which he did it made half the class want to leave the classroom in the first 5 mins of watching it!

Can't see myself doing this as doctor.No-go area of medicine for me.
Helenia
Smells pretty bloody awful though.

At the moment, ITU sounds theoretically most attractive, but now I've worked in Paeds and know I could (hopefully) cope with it, I might say that. NB to those who said Paeds because they hate adults though - you still have to deal with adults, only these ones aren't sick, just mad at you...

Oh I could never do children, there were kids in theatre recovery yesterday and my heart just broke every time they cried etc, and they all looked so ill :frown: I considered childrens a few months ago, but couldn't ever handle it! I'd like ITU though, or HDU (surgical)
Paediatrics - a noticeable part of your work involves making children cry, especially cute little babies needing lumbar punctures.

I think it's a brilliant specialty though and definitely on my list of possibles.

Latest

Trending

Trending