The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I don't understand it either. To my mind it's just...not very fun to watch.

Cricket I love cos its so casual, you just drift in and out of concentration over the period of weeks. Even when you're actually at Lords, it's just so chill. Plus Cricket in England has the best commentary of any sport discipline anywhere in the world.

Rugby is good as an actually genuinely spectacular spectator sport.

That's about it as far as mainstream sports I enjoy go. Even then I don't really follow it. But I always listen to the Cricket for the commentary.

Peace xx
Reply 41
Your OP made me want to end you, however if I were being extremely generous, I would possibly say that discussing football and watching others play it may not be understood by everyone. However if you're referring to actually playing the sport, then there's no excuse.
Reply 42
I waste my life following boxing and travelling to see title matches.

You have to have something you like in your life other than working, some people spend tons of money going out, others spend it on computer games, some like playing sports some like watching sports etc
Reply 44
bj_945

Cricket I love cos its so casual, you just drift in and out of concentration over the period of weeks. Even when you're actually at Lords, it's just so chill. Plus Cricket in England has the best commentary of any sport discipline anywhere in the world.
Peace xx

Yeh me too, bro. I just love the different complexities and strategies in cricket, where as in football its pretty much, are you gonna play 4-4-2 or 4-5-1. I mean most commentators can easily predict tIhe XI, that are fielded.

Also in cricket there are so many great statisitics in the sport, that football really lacks.
An idea http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/stats/index.html

I mean the player who scores the most goals in a club season, isnt necessarily the best player, and defenders (nor goalkeepers to an extent) can really be judged on stats alone. Not too mention the number of assists a player may achieve.

I do however love champion league games, and other tense matches (like two of the big four, playing a premier league game), few things are as exciting as a striker scoring from a volley out of no where, or a midfielder that succeeds a long pass that is accurate to the inch.

Match of the day, is a cool programme.
Reply 45
I don't get it myself, but each to their own. It is very much like religion in a lot of ways.
I love playing it, but I only ever watch internationals. I've never really supported any club, and have only ever been to one match. I find rugby is a lot more exciting to watch, though they are equally fun to play.
football sucks, my opinion.
ma2k5
Even in a free market, their are commodities that are not as elastic as other things - I know it sounds silly, but tickets to games for their team is as important to them as heating in their homes. It is a reason why, when gas/electric bills rise, not everyone has the option to change and they just have to live with it. Demand isn't completely always proportional to price and I think the club owners do abuse this with, say tickets - they know even if they add £x amount to it, they will still fill their seats. I just think maybe they are being greedy and abusing the situation. A bit like how, their were calls for banks to pass on full benefit of interest rate cuts etc.

Meh...

But the point still stands that they are worth that then? The owners or players may very well be abusing the fans, but that they are being paid that amount shows that they are still worth it.
Intheshadows
It's just a game but I see so many people talking about it, living it, breathing it, smelling it. Its like its their life and I can't help but think these people are incredibly sad individuals. Each Saturday and Sunday (even in the week), there is a silly amount of talk about all the various premiership games. I hate football myself so I find it silly how people get so involved in some sad sport where people kick a ball into a net - thats all it is. Some hardcore fans spend hundreds of pounds on merchandise and going to every game. I'm thinking 'whats the point, why are you wasting your life doing this? build up some real skills instead of wasting your life watching a silly game' I hope people agree with me.

leave us alone you kill-joy - we like it (i speak for footie addicts) - you don't - go do something you enjoy - its not a waste of time, it's dramatic, exciting and there aren't many things which you can collect thousands of people in the same place all jumping and shouting just because someone's kicked a ball in a net - its just a bit of fun - let people like what they like - i don't know if this applies to you but some people are just alternative for the sake of it and if they gave it a try they'd love it (a live match i mean) - its a good feeling when you win and its never the same twice - team rivalries are fun and its a great thing to talk about and adds a bit of flavour to your weekend

then you get stuff like the world cup when you get everyone together united all wanting the same thing happy if you win devastated if you lose - but looking forward to the next game because it can all change - you name me one other thing in the word that can do that

basically its good - leave us alone!
Intheshadows
It's just a game but I see so many people talking about it, living it, breathing it, smelling it. Its like its their life and I can't help but think these people are incredibly sad individuals.

Simple. Because they have no lives. Football is the simplest game to get into and once you get absorbed it is like selling your soul. And of course in a number of ways, to show your masculinity.
Charzhino
It's more than kicking a ball into the net, if you don't understand the art and passion behind it, then you have no right to comment. Real men like football.

It's comments like this that remind me why I have been increasingly put off by football. And no, I don't like rugby either for all the aggressive posturing of it all.
I enjoy watching a bit of football, but Rugby League's my game, It's damn passionate!:o:
DaveSteed24
leave us alone you kill-joy - we like it (i speak for footie addicts) - you don't - go do something you enjoy - its not a waste of time, it's dramatic, exciting and there aren't many things which you can collect thousands of people in the same place all jumping and shouting just because someone's kicked a ball in a net - its just a bit of fun - let people like what they like - i don't know if this applies to you but some people are just alternative for the sake of it and if they gave it a try they'd love it (a live match i mean) - its a good feeling when you win and its never the same twice - team rivalries are fun and its a great thing to talk about and adds a bit of flavour to your weekend

basically its good - leave us alone!

:ditto: Except when you support one team and live within a 5 minute walk of the rival team's ground :s-smilie:
Reply 54
I understand obsession but when it gets too much I sometimes go back and think 'It's just football being kicked across a pitch'
kirsty142
:ditto: Except when you support one team and live within a 5 minute walk of the rival team's ground :s-smilie:

oh no :frown: - lol - who do you support? - i support spurs and seem to attract arsenal fans to me for some reason - i'm like a gooner magnet :s-smilie: - which isn't good - lol
DaveSteed24
oh no :frown: - lol - who do you support? - i support spurs and seem to attract arsenal fans to me for some reason - i'm like a gooner magnet :s-smilie: - which isn't good - lol

Haha, I support Newcastle and live in Sunderland, was pretty worrying when I got off the Metro last saturday and realised that nearly everyone getting off was heading towards the Stadium of Light :rolleyes:
Cos' it's ******* football.
kirsty142
Haha, I support Newcastle and live in Sunderland, was pretty worrying when I got off the Metro last saturday and realised that nearly everyone getting off was heading towards the Stadium of Light :rolleyes:

at least you can call it the Stadium of Sh*te :biggrin: - lol
DaveSteed24
at least you can call it the Stadium of Sh*te :biggrin: - lol

Very true :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending