The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ballerinabetty
there maybe a thread already like this but here goes any way.

by the time i finish my degree in biomedical i will be 28 is that too old?

im just thinking that i really wanna study medcine and only reason im doing biomed is to get on a degree entry med course but i would be 38 before i actually got to be a full doctor.

am i too much of a granny?

There have been many threads like this (search function is very useful :yep:)

In answer to your question, no 28 is not too old. At the start of my course my year was 50% over 21s with the oldest student aged 58 and a good range in between so 28 is still pretty young.
ballerinabetty

im just thinking that i really wanna study medcine and only reason im doing biomed is to get on a degree entry med course but i would be 38 before i actually got to be a full doctor.

look at it this way; you'll be 28 anyway so why not be a 28yr old with a BioMed degree. age is irrelevant and regret is a bitch so do what you want and be happy. good luck.
Not one bit, just had an F1 who was in his forties, and he was brilliant!
Reply 4
Oldest starter in my year is 42, so 28 is not too old at all!

As it is a GEP course the youngest is 21 but there is a pretty good spread of ages, I would say probably 65% in their 20's 30% in their 30's and maybe the other 5% 40s (estimate)
thanks guys. so for repeating a question that has already been asked im not 100% with this site yet.lol.
Reply 6
Subcutaneous
Not one bit, just had an F1 who was in his forties, and he was brilliant!

LOL.

Experience is key.
Reply 7
Hygeia
There have been many threads like this (search function is very useful :yep:)

In answer to your question, no 28 is not too old. At the start of my course my year was 50% over 21s with the oldest student aged 58 and a good range in between so 28 is still pretty young.

58 is mental though in fairness, by the time they've completed their foundation years they'll be 65, and looking to retire.
Reply 8
Half of the TSR med applicants are teenagers ( probably ).
So my opinion is probably irrelevant- you don't want someone younger than you to tell you that you're not too old to apply.
AAAirz
LOL.

Experience is key.

exactly, he was fab, he was a little nervous and a bit timid but he was a brilliant doctor, he got on really well with the patients, showed respect to the nursing staff, and didn't feel he was above us like some new doctors do
Orihime
Half of the TSR med applicants are teenagers ( probably ).
So my opinion is probably irrelevant- you don't want someone younger than you to tell you that you're not too old to apply.

that is good advice. maybe i will as one of the medics
Reply 11
Phalanges
58 is mental though in fairness, by the time they've completed their foundation years they'll be 65, and looking to retire.

I completely agree and know which person gave him the offer as well... He only lasted til Christmas :p: (already had 6 degrees and just wanted the MBBS to do some sort of medical research I believe)

The current oldest is late 40s I think which is a bit more reasonable.
If your an intellectual than education has no age, you will be educating yourself until you last breath ,If its other people's opinion that you worry about then .. sorry mate you have always something to worry about.
Hygeia
I completely agree and know which person gave him the offer as well... He only lasted til Christmas :p: (already had 6 degrees and just wanted the MBBS to do some sort of medical research I believe)

The current oldest is late 40s I think which is a bit more reasonable.

6 degrees...

Now I am here I could definitely see the attraction in just learning for ever more, but I think there has to be a point where I'd get fed up with it all.
Reply 14
pretty sure dundee took a woman who was 42 a couple of years aggo - 28 is not old at all
Reply 15
Subcutaneous
exactly, he was fab, he was a little nervous and a bit timid but he was a brilliant doctor, he got on really well with the patients, showed respect to the nursing staff, and didn't feel he was above us like some new doctors do

I was lolling about the obvious sexual connotations.
Reply 16
is it economically viable to train doctors who are older than a certain age...?
Reply 17
Sahil, ultimately given the cost there is an age where it becomes economically unviable (but the same could be said about many girls from certain ethnic backgrounds :wink:).

However, since universities cannot discriminate based on age there shouldn't really be an upper limit.

But I would suggest that 50 is probably the practical cut off.
ballerinabetty

No, No and No. Guy on my course is 29, doing the full 5 years, and he's awesome... sooo :smile:
Reply 19
Renal
Sahil, ultimately given the cost there is an age where it becomes economically unviable (but the same could be said about many girls from certain ethnic backgrounds :wink:).

However, since universities cannot discriminate based on age there shouldn't really be an upper limit.

But I would suggest that 50 is probably the practical cut off.

Yeah I agree. Because I was thinking it costs X amount to train a doctor and this would have to be at least recouped, and if the person was too old, then this would never happen. Damm I can imagine myself still trying to get a place when I'm 50. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending