The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
harleygrant
I haven't really thought about it, but I suppose I'd want to instill the beacon of nanny-culture that is a "healthy, active lifestyle". It's just sensible, really. Maybe help them get into an instrument or sport pretty early on, but not force it on them of course. Oh, and encourage reading. That's a big one for me.

This will be a big thing for me. Not so much the 'active' bit; my future children can be as active or as lazy as they like, I don't consider that something for me to impact on, but I'll be serving home-cooked, healthy meals around a table throughout their childhoods.
I was brought up on a diet of takeaways, fast food and junk food in front of the TV - whatever could be left in the oven for 30 minutes unwatched. I intend to take a highly active role in being there for my children and interacting with them, and part of that, to me, will be to encourage the family to eat together. I love cooking.
Reply 41
Bagration
Sorry but this doesn't sound like a very loving family experience if "pulling your weight" is mandatory at 16. Sounds like something Robert Heinlein would have thought up.

No need to be sorry. Differing views and all that. :p:
im going to train them tennis from the age of 1 so they grow up to be roger federer
Yeah that's another thing I refuse to allow the serving of microwave meals in any possible future home of mine :fuhrer: salad will be consumed OUT of a wooden bowl (anyone who gets this gets rep.)
explosions hurt
Give them piano lessons from age 10 and once they quit at 15 I will act disappointed but actually I will be happy because I could never stand pretending to enjoy listening to them. That will be the underlying philosophy of how I raise them.

cool story bro
Reply 45
When my child start's to crawl im going to start putting bag's of sugar on his back.

To make him stronger than the other children.

Then when he's about nine im going to start chasing him,

To make him fast and fit.

For every question he get's wrong on his homework, im going to punish him.

To make him intelligent

But most of all, im going to love him.
Reply 46
cpj1987
Really?!

Yep. TV can make a person/child lazy, and it's also full of violence at times, and as I said, kids are very easily influenced :smile:
Reply 47
Bagration
Sorry but this doesn't sound like a very loving family experience if "pulling your weight" is mandatory at 16. Sounds like something Robert Heinlein would have thought up.

I agree, I think they'd grow up to hate you if you charged your own children money! It'd be like you didn't love them and that you feel that they were a financial burden... If my parents made me get a job at 16 and charged me rent I'd never speak to them again after I left home. TBH if they make me pay for university I'll certainly give them the cold shoulder for a couple of years.
Reply 48
I'm not even going to lie. I'm gonna rule with an iron fist. Make them sporting prodigies in a combat sport/martial arts. Make sure they're what I want, not what they want. I would also terrorise them, as a joke, i.e. for s+g's but no illegal child abuse. I would also smack the crap out of them if they did something wrong.
Reply 49
evilbethan
Yep. TV can make a person/child lazy, and it's also full of violence at times, and as I said, kids are very easily influenced :smile:

They can be positively influenced by TV, too, though.

Meh, I guess I'm just always surprised when I see people shunning/avoiding technology, where I consider it to be so important, so vital.
I could never imagine being a twelve year old and having not watched television. TV was a big thing as a child, for me; and I'll admit I watched cartoons at that age that weren't particularly educational, but they're a nostalgic memory!
Syrokal
When my child start's to crawl im going to start putting bag's of sugar on his back.

To make him stronger than the other children.

Then when he's about nine im going to start chasing him,

To make him fast and fit.

For every question he get's wrong on his homework, im going to punish him.

To make him intelligent

But most of all, im going to love him.

Can I pay you to look after mine
Tefhel
I agree, I think they'd grow up to hate you if you charged your own children money! It'd be like you didn't love them and that you feel that they were a financial burden... If my parents made me get a job at 16 and charged me rent I'd never speak to them again after I left home. TBH if they make me pay for university I'll certainly give them the cold shoulder for a couple of years.
Yah, I had quite a few rows with my parents over money at university. They've come round though and give me free money >_>

The way I see it is as follows. If parents want support from their children when THEY'RE old, they ought to give support to their children while THEY'RE young. I feel like my parents have given me all the support they could so I will repay that debt by supporting them when they're older... but if I was made to pay my way at age 16 and be "fully independent" at 19 I would have serious qualms about supporting them when they were older as it would feel somewhat hypocritical.
With a firm moral grounding and knowledge of right and wrong. Once that's established they'll be equipped to make the right decisions.
evilbethan
they don't call you evil bethan for nothing :afraid:
Reply 54
Clubber Lang
Can I pay you to look after mine

Yes..yes you may?
Hoists.

Lots and lots of hoists.
cpj1987
I'll be extremely liberal as a parent.
My children will be allowed to do as they wish, as far as I'm concerned, but must face all consequences on their own. I'll offer guidance, but I won't tell them what to do.
I'll also make sure that they're pulling their weight throughout lives; including paying rent at 16 (at the latest) and living entirely independently by 19.
Of course, there'll be another parent to take a different approach.

Wow some mother :s-smilie:
Reply 57
Bagration
Yah, I had quite a few rows with my parents over money at university. They've come round though and give me free money >_>

The way I see it is as follows. If parents want support from their children when THEY'RE old, they ought to give support to their children while THEY'RE young. I feel like my parents have given me all the support they could so I will repay that debt by supporting them when they're older... but if I was made to pay my way at age 16 and be "fully independent" at 19 I would have serious qualms about supporting them when they were older as it would feel somewhat hypocritical.

See, this I differ on. I won't want my children to be supporting me. That shouldn't be their responsibility. Either I sort out my finances for my retirement years myself, or I suffer the consequences.
Reply 58
Bagration
they don't call you evil bethan for nothing :afraid:

:biggrin:
cpj1987
See, this I differ on. I won't want my children to be supporting me. That shouldn't be their responsibility. Either I sort out my finances for my retirement years myself, or I suffer the consequences.
I ask you this totally seriously, do you have a problem with generosity or something?

Latest

Trending

Trending