The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied for Castle too! :smile: I heard that accommodations can be a bit iffy since Castle is one of the older colleges. Not sure about anything else though. :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm sharing a room in Castle, ensuite and in the Castle itself, absolutely love it and there's no way I'll be asking to swap at the end of first term (which you can do).

Basically, for first years you've got:

Moatside - typical student accomodation, single room with shared bathroom and shared kitchen per floor. Standard rooms with bed, desk, sink, wardrobe etc. All recently renovated with new furniture etc. Only downside is there's not a huge deal of privacy.. especially S Block which is like the 'party' block. On the plus side, most people love this - one of my friends just transferred from a shared room in Owensgate (which are niice, I'll get onto that in a minute soon) just so he could be in Moatside where there's such a good atmosphere etc - people here all know each other etc, great for pre-lash!

Owensgate - some shared, some single, nice rooms, much bigger than Moatside, bit of a wonky old house and some rooms have some pretty sizeable cracks in the wall, but nice character. Again, shared bathrooms etc, kitchen facilities a bit lacking (but you're fully catered so no worries there really).

Bailey Court - mainly for third years but a few first years too, similar ish to Owensgate, more single rooms than doubles AFAIK.

Castle...

The Keep - Where most first years are, lots of stairs but nice rooms and YOU LIVE IN A CASTLE...

Hall Stairs - Not sure there are any first years here, but if you end up there, it's nice.

Garden Stairs - First and third years, varied rooms but all nice - some ensuite, some without.. big shared rooms.

Fellows Garden - Again, first and third years, these are all ensuite, and are newly built rooms... best place to live (but I'm biased).

Sharing a room is brilliant, automatic friendship and I don't know anyone yet who hasn't got on with their roommate. And if you don't, you can apply to move to a single, which is usually sorted quickly - two of my friends recently went from a double to two singles (one wanted more privacy, his boyfriend to visit etc, and the other wanted to live in Moatside) so they went their separate ways and it was sorted so quickly for them.

Any other questions about accommodation or anything else Castle-related please feel free to ask...... :smile:
Reply 3
minionlindz

Any other questions about accommodation or anything else Castle-related please feel free to ask...... :smile:

do you know if you get halal catering at Castle, it doesnt say anything on the website.
im currently deciding between Collingwood and Castle, my friends and teachers are telling me castle but my family say collingwood as it has the better facilities so i'm not sure?
Reply 4
Why not call the college and ask, they will probably cater for most dietary needs, it all depends on if their facilities/budget/staff knowledge allow it. It might be that they have to cater for dietary needs such as halal from a equal opportunities point of view but I'm not sure. A quick call to the college should answer your question.
Reply 5
Zohair09
do you know if you get halal catering at Castle, it doesnt say anything on the website.
im currently deciding between Collingwood and Castle, my friends and teachers are telling me castle but my family say collingwood as it has the better facilities so i'm not sure?

Hi, sorry for the late reply, not sure if you'll have already phoned up to check or not, but if you haven't, you should be fine for halal. I don't personally know anyone who only eats halal meat, but I've definitely seen on the bit on formal sign-up where people write dietary requirements that someone always puts 'halal meat only please' - and for normal meals there's always veggie food as an alternative too (though presumably if they cater for halal for formal they cater for it for all meals). Oh and whilst we're on the topic of food.. for anyone who's heard bad things about food at Castle, apparently they've doubled the food budget this year and (usually) the food is actually really nice (though obviously they're still tweaking it at the moment). Anyway if you wanna check for definite about halal, definitely ring up college, they'll be happy to answer any questions like that!
Reply 6
minionlindz
Hi, sorry for the late reply, not sure if you'll have already phoned up to check or not, but if you haven't, you should be fine for halal. I don't personally know anyone who only eats halal meat, but I've definitely seen on the bit on formal sign-up where people write dietary requirements that someone always puts 'halal meat only please' - and for normal meals there's always veggie food as an alternative too (though presumably if they cater for halal for formal they cater for it for all meals). Oh and whilst we're on the topic of food.. for anyone who's heard bad things about food at Castle, apparently they've doubled the food budget this year and (usually) the food is actually really nice (though obviously they're still tweaking it at the moment). Anyway if you wanna check for definite about halal, definitely ring up college, they'll be happy to answer any questions like that!

Food is now centralised by the university everywhere except Chad's and John's, so the menus are the same everywhere except for those two colleges.
Reply 7
Can anyone give me an idea what toilets are like in Castle? Especially the shared ones, is there a huge problem with hygiene or queues :smile: Just give me your honest opinion, I just want to be mentally prepared for all of it. :biggrin:
Reply 8
cuddlebuggy
Can anyone give me an idea what toilets are like in Castle? Especially the shared ones, is there a huge problem with hygiene or queues :smile: Just give me your honest opinion, I just want to be mentally prepared for all of it. :biggrin:

There's no problem at any other college and I doubt castle is any different. I've never had to wait more than 2 minutes for the toilet or shower.
Reply 9
cuddlebuggy

It depends where you are living!! On my corridor (moatside) there are 4 toilets for 4 people, but in other accomodation there are fewer, eg. Owengate has 1 toilet for around 8 people..
Reply 10
But please don't let that put you off coming to Castle, its a really really brilliant college!
Boo_2
It depends where you are living!! On my corridor (moatside) there are 4 toilets for 4 people, but in other accomodation there are fewer, eg. Owengate has 1 toilet for around 8 people..

Keeping my fingers crossed for Moatside accommodation then! :smile: Can we specify our preferences as freshmen or are we randomly assigned?

Boo_2
But please don't let that put you off coming to Castle, its a really really brilliant college!

x) Wouldn't dream of it. Durham is an amazing university and how could anything dampen one's spirits on living in a castle. :biggrin:
Reply 12
This might sound stupid, but whatever :woo:

I was wondering if its possible to live in the actual castle. you know the one when you google durham university and you get up a picture of a castle with water and the middle ages thing going on :rolleyes:

Is it possible to live here? It looks AMAZING

not sure if this would be the suited thread, but is Durham a good university for economics or business? How are the job prospects?
Reply 13
Lurifaxn
This might sound stupid, but whatever :woo:

I was wondering if its possible to live in the actual castle. you know the one when you google durham university and you get up a picture of a castle with water and the middle ages thing going on :rolleyes:

Is it possible to live here? It looks AMAZING

not sure if this would be the suited thread, but is Durham a good university for economics or business? How are the job prospects?

Yes you can live in the castle. About 30 seconds of basic research could have told you that.
Hey,
I want to change one of my choices to Durham and this needs to be done rather quickly (Wednesday will be Day 14 of my application). However I have difficulties deciding on a college this quickly. I'd like to go for one of the more tradtional ones and I'm really torn between Castle and St. Cuthbert's society.

Castle looks great! However I'm seeing some possible downsides and I'd like to know if these really are downsides :wink:

-it's catered! I believe it's nice not to have to worry about grocery shopping and cooking, but I'm worried that the food might not be healthy or just not very delicious. How is the food? Are the cooking (and baking!) facillities if I feel like making somethinng for myself from time to time? I believe that catered might actually be cheaper in the end, is that true?

-shared rooms. I'm the kind of person who usually gets active at night. I guess that is a serious problem in shared rooms, if your roommate wants to go to bed early, is light sleeper etc. Is it possible to mention a preference? How likely would it be that I'd be able to get a single room?

-St. Cuthbert's seems to be more diverse and also more active, plus it seems to be very traditional, too. (And also less competetive to get in????) What is it that you think is it that makes Castle unique? (besides of being in a castle :wink:)

I'd be very happy to get some answers to make the decision easier.
Reply 15
la_mariposa
Hey,
I want to change one of my choices to Durham and this needs to be done rather quickly (Wednesday will be Day 14 of my application). However I have difficulties deciding on a college this quickly. I'd like to go for one of the more tradtional ones and I'm really torn between Castle and St. Cuthbert's society.

Castle looks great! However I'm seeing some possible downsides and I'd like to know if these really are downsides :wink:

-it's catered! I believe it's nice not to have to worry about grocery shopping and cooking, but I'm worried that the food might not be healthy or just not very delicious. How is the food? Are the cooking (and baking!) facillities if I feel like making somethinng for myself from time to time? I believe that catered might actually be cheaper in the end, is that true?

-shared rooms. I'm the kind of person who usually gets active at night. I guess that is a serious problem in shared rooms, if your roommate wants to go to bed early, is light sleeper etc. Is it possible to mention a preference? How likely would it be that I'd be able to get a single room?

-St. Cuthbert's seems to be more diverse and also more active, plus it seems to be very traditional, too. (And also less competetive to get in????) What is it that you think is it that makes Castle unique? (besides of being in a castle :wink:)

I'd be very happy to get some answers to make the decision easier.

Your college choice doesn't affect your chances of getting into Durham - if the department makes you an offer and your preferred college is full then you'll be assigned to another one.
Reply 16
la_mariposa

The food is fine at all the colleges. Not outstanding, but definitely edible.

Original post by British

You write things like that on a form that you fill in once you have received a place at whichever college. They will put people together based on your personality, interests and habits. I don't know anyone in Cuth's who doesn't get on really well with their roommate, and I only know ONE person in another college who doesn't. The system works. At Cuth's, you could get a single room, but you would be living off the bailey (still only 10 mins walk to central Durham, if not 5), and you could only have 10 meals per week catered.

Original post by British

Both of the first points are true, but it isn't very traditional. Castle and Hatfield are the masters of tradition at Durham. Castle has a lot of money, which is the main thing that makes it unique... They have amazing balls etc. Cuth's do have more events, and they are great, and the college spirit is excellent. Depends what you want.
DougieG
The food is fine at all the colleges. Not outstanding, but definitely edible.

You write things like that on a form that you fill in once you have received a place at whichever college. They will put people together based on your personality, interests and habits. I don't know anyone in Cuth's who doesn't get on really well with their roommate, and I only know ONE person in another college who doesn't. The system works. At Cuth's, you could get a single room, but you would be living off the bailey (still only 10 mins walk to central Durham, if not 5), and you could only have 10 meals per week catered.

Both of the first points are true, but it isn't very traditional. Castle and Hatfield are the masters of tradition at Durham. Castle has a lot of money, which is the main thing that makes it unique... They have amazing balls etc. Cuth's do have more events, and they are great, and the college spirit is excellent. Depends what you want.

Thanks for your answer! Doesn't really make my choice easier though. :biggrin:
Just one more question: Are there some kitchen facilities at Castle, too? Just if you miss a meal or feel like making something yourself? Because I do like to cook and bake, at least from time to time.

*River
Your college choice doesn't affect your chances of getting into Durham - if the department makes you an offer and your preferred college is full then you'll be assigned to another one.

Yeah I know, I just meant the college itself. And I don't get in, they'll just put me anywhere, right?
Reply 18
la_mariposa
Thanks for your answer! Doesn't really make my choice easier though. :biggrin:
Just one more question: Are there some kitchen facilities at Castle, too? Just if you miss a meal or feel like making something yourself? Because I do like to cook and bake, at least from time to time.

True enough! It depends what you want to prioritise. Personally I find college meals quite limiting. I think Castle does have some facility on each floor, but I'm definitely not sure about that. You certainly don't have a kitchen if you are living in the castle itself. Cuth's catered houses on the bailey all have a kitchen (except my one! Grrrr), and the kitchens on Parson's Field (the self-catered/part-catered option) are excellent.

la_mariposa
Yeah I know, I just meant the college itself. And I don't get in, they'll just put me anywhere, right?

That's right, its why I applied to Cuth's. I knew I would almost certainly get in and it was only marginally less perfect for me than castle.
Reply 19
DougieG

Castle doesn't have that much money. I'm not sure the Durham colleges are financially like Oxford or Cambridge. All the balls are funded by ticket sales and JCR fundraising afaik.
What money the college has goes into maintaining the buildings and stopping the castle from falling in the river.
I suppose the college gives guided tours but not that many people go on them - it isn't a huge source of income anyway.

Latest