The Student Room Group
Reply 1
According to the times - http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php?AC_sub=Economics&x=9&y=7&sub=22

League tables can sometimes be misleading though.
bitturiju
Can anyone tell me what are the top 5 Universities in the UK for Economics? Also could anyone tell me which University graduates earn the most if they enter the field of Investment Banking?

LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL.

Graduates earn the same, regardless of university.
Bank-to-bank differences are fairly marginal.
BetterThanHeaven
LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick, UCL.

Graduates earn the same, regardless of university.
Bank-to-bank differences are fairly marginal.

This.

It is universally accepted that these are the top 5 in the UK for Economics. The order is perhaps slightly controversial between them, and distorted by the fact Warwick has a) been around for less than 50 years and b) is situated largely in the countryside, in contrast to Oxbridge's 800 year history and LSE's and UCL's benefit of being in the country's capital and financial centre (therefore gets considerable amounts of money paid to it by the government).

But if you want to put them in any rough order grouping, Cambridge, Oxford and LSE are the best, followed by UCL and Warwick. All are very competitive, so you should feel proud getting offers from any of them.
Reply 4
If it's investment banking that you are particularly interested in then yes, LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick etc are the places to go.

If you're not sure about the career path that you want to take then some other unis are preferable as the teach economics in a way that it can more easily be applied to business situations. - I know for example, that the GES isn't as keen on LSE graduates as they were.
Reply 5
Ok thanks everyone!
Reply 6
Oven
If it's investment banking that you are particularly interested in then yes, LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick etc are the places to go.

If you're not sure about the career path that you want to take then some other unis are preferable as the teach economics in a way that it can more easily be applied to business situations. - I know for example, that the GES isn't as keen on LSE graduates as they were.

really? only last year i went to their presentation at LSE. now i dont know if they held another one this year, but why shouldn they?
Reply 7
danny111
really? only last year i went to their presentation at LSE. now i dont know if they held another one this year, but why shouldn they?

I don't think the GES is that picky about prestige when
picking it's grads. I know that in London, it's mainly people from
middleish unis such as Royal Holloway, City, Queen Mary who largely fill up spaces at the GES and BoE, one of the reasons
is because they pay to do your mAc and coming from a lesser uni,
it would ne quite good to have Oxford/LSE on your CV for
postgraduate studies, this is what a Grad from City told me who's know at either UCL, Cambridge or LSE, he got 3 offers, Oxford
rejected him, don't know what one he picked though.
Reply 8
danny111

Apparently the GES now regards LSE students to be too "mathsy" - essentially finding it easier to show a solution to a problem in the form of an equation, being too theory based and not able to express a solution to a problem in a more "real world" way.
Reply 9
Oven
Apparently the GES now regards LSE students to be too "mathsy" - essentially finding it easier to show a solution to a problem in the form of an equation, being too theory based and not able to express a solution to a problem in a more "real world" way.

i would take that as a compliment. but i guess if others dont understand it then its useless.
Reply 10
danny111
but i guess if others dont understand it then its useless.

Exactly. Effective communication is key.

Latest

Trending

Trending