The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lafin23
That's not technically true. Students whose parents earn under $60,000p.a. can go to Harvard completely free, with all their costs covered. Students with parents earning under $100,000p.a. will pay no more than 10% of family income, and students with family income of under $180,000p.a. pay no more than 20% of income.

Over 60% of Harvard students receive financial aid, and they provided $145,000,000 last year. So it's not exactly financially exclusive.

Most Ivy League universities have similar financial aid systems.

Even for international students? I'd fall into the second bracket anyway unfortunately, so tuition fees alone would be about £8000 pa, not including health / student services fees, room, board and living expenses.

Purely hypothetical!
Reply 41
RevisingHard
are you trying to say i'm lying? why would i do that?

They're not saying that you're lying, it's that the email is likely to be fake and definitely not from Harvard or Yale!
Reply 42
RevisingHard
i can't...its gone from trash - my account does that if things are left in trash for more than a week....ok seriously i may be annoying and a lot of things but a liar i am not! Its just so dumb

I dont think you are lying. Harvard was randomly encouraging students at my minor unknown state school to apply to them, i was going to but mum wouldn't let me. they probably saw you uni preferences on yougo (whatever that is) and they proabably thought the course you applied to was undersubscribed, and they were probably looking to fill some spaces with international students (specifically brits), You should contact their adminsitrators and ask what it was all about.
I think the email must have been some kind of spam, but the worst kind of spam....
Spam :yep:
They can't have access to your UCAS application, that's confidential information - it's fake!
Lafin23
Just the same for international students, yeah. Harvard are a private college, so they treat all applicants equally. There's no particular preference given to US Citizens.

And no, I think you misunderstood me. It's not just the education that's covered, it's room, board,...everything. But yeah, you're right, would still be about £8k a year for you if your parents earn £80,000. That said...sounds like Oxbridge are heading in that direction also.

I was slightly off in my figures earlier. Here's the link to Harvard College application and financial aid;
http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/financial_aid/index.html

Will probably be much more explanatory than anything I could tell you!

Well in fairness that's a much better system than the UK has for internationals..
Oh yeah Yale and Harvard sent me an email, weird they were asking for my account details (apparently its a formality), they askd me to send the first terms installment to some place on Lagos..i guess they run their financial division from Nigeria :dontknow:
Reply 47
yoyo462001
Oh yeah Yale and Harvard sent me an email, weird they were asking for my account details (apparently its a formality), they askd me to send the first terms installment to some place on Lagos..i guess they run their financial division from Nigeria :dontknow:

2/10
Reply 48
I dont understand why peoples parents here are saying they wont let them apply to Harvard/Yale or Oxford/Cambridge, I know if I had the grades then my parents would really want me to apply to Oxford/Cambridge.
Reply 49
RevisingHard
are you trying to say i'm lying? why would i do that?

I dont think ur lying about it happeneing, but look woman, theres more smarter people than u in AMERICA... why would they randomly select you???

Plus i dont think they have such thing as oversea student prices. i think its all the same. I THINK.
yoyo462001

lool 419 :rolleyes:
Reply 51
Hahaha if anyone does get this email, please don't provide any personal details. It's most likely a phishing scheme.
Reply 52
In the states, Harvard/Yale send these kinds of emails and post packages to a huge number of people, the vast majority of whom wouldn't get in if they applied anyhow. The more people they convince to apply, the lower their acceptance rate is, the better they look on paper. Plus, it costs about $60-$70 APIECE to apply to universities in the States so it is definitely in their best interest to get as many applicants as possible. It's really not that big of a deal, and going there, especially with the reduced costs of unis in the UK, is not worth it.

Harvard and

Reply 54
testing

Latest

Trending

Trending