The Student Room Group

Moving out but near home town & doing nursing course...

Today I met an old friend who haven't spoke to in a bit - on a moving & handling course! She's going to be doing nursing in March too! but in wrexham University (which is about 40 mins away) and Chester is half an hour from me, which is where i'm going! She said she was thinking of moving out to this town which is about 10 mins away from where I live at the moment and travelling everyday to Uni! she is looking for someone else who is interested! And it would be perfect because she's doing nursing too and I know her quite well & we get on!
Only thing is it would take me 40 mins to get to chester then! With her course its the degree and she gets payed the same bursary as if it was someone doing the diploma in England!she can have placements in the nearest hospital because it's in wales but because mines Chester I could be sent to warrington(about 1hour away) or anywhere!!
i'm gonna start off doing the diploma to get a bursary (does anybody know how much - if you are independent/living away from home??) and then hopefully transfer to degree - but i'd have to get a loan to help pay for accomodation then :s-smilie:
So I just want to know if I would be able to do this.. and do you think it's a good idea? I'm 20 years old at the moment and I do feel ready to move out but my mum is against it but I knew she would be because she wants me to live at home forever lol but also has brought up the fact that I will be spending more on petrol if its 40 mins away and the placements will be further away...
its going to be £395 per month plus bills on top!(if somebody could give me an idea how much electric, water n heating etc costs? ) Which will all be split - so £197.50 per month plus half of bills. Also I have to pay £160 a month to run my car! and then I have petrol(prob about £40-£50 a week if travelling that far everyday) food aswell!
I'm also on relief for the care home im working in at the moment, and have said I still want to work there when doing my nursing and she was pleased about that.. so say if I did 1-2 shifts a week and its about £7 per hour.. So i'd get extra money from that aswel!

sorry its so long but really would like some advice and to see realistically if it could be done!

thanks xx
Reply 1
anyone? lol
Holamigo
anyone? lol

Hi Holamigo
Hows u? with regards to the means tested Bursary for the diploma its just over 6,700 pa so i think about £558.00 per calendar month thats for a 45 week diploma course and living away from home.If you live at your parents address its the same.I hope this helps you in some way
:yep:
Reply 3

Thankyou that does help! Do you know roughly how much gas, electric and water costs??
Holamigo
Thankyou that does help! Do you know roughly how much gas, electric and water costs??

how long is a piece of string!!

I pay £45 a month for G&A and that went down to around £28 after 6 months on a meter, as for water, i pay £68 every 6 months
Holamigo
Today I met an old friend who haven't spoke to in a bit - on a moving & handling course! She's going to be doing nursing in March too! but in wrexham University (which is about 40 mins away) and Chester is half an hour from me, which is where i'm going! She said she was thinking of moving out to this town which is about 10 mins away from where I live at the moment and travelling everyday to Uni! she is looking for someone else who is interested! And it would be perfect because she's doing nursing too and I know her quite well & we get on!
Only thing is it would take me 40 mins to get to chester then! With her course its the degree and she gets payed the same bursary as if it was someone doing the diploma in England!she can have placements in the nearest hospital because it's in wales but because mines Chester I could be sent to warrington(about 1hour away) or anywhere!!
i'm gonna start off doing the diploma to get a bursary (does anybody know how much - if you are independent/living away from home??)
It'll be the same amount for everyone, £540

and then hopefully transfer to degree - but i'd have to get a loan to help pay for accomodation then :s-smilie:
But you'll also have a reduced bursary!!! I'm currently saving for my 3rd year to live on, and will be getting out a small loan aswell

So I just want to know if I would be able to do this.. and do you think it's a good idea? I'm 20 years old at the moment and I do feel ready to move out but my mum is against it but I knew she would be because she wants me to live at home forever lol but also has brought up the fact that I will be spending more on petrol if its 40 mins away and the placements will be further away...
Its ringing alarm bells, its fab moving out, and i live by myself currently and am 20, however its longer to travel..more on petrol, you'd be SO much worse off, plus why'd you want to travel so far, when you have a 7am start on placement?! or you're coming off a night shift, it does make a difference

its going to be £395 per month plus bills on top!(if somebody could give me an idea how much electric, water n heating etc costs? )
see my other post

Which will all be split - so £197.50 per month plus half of bills. Also I have to pay £160 a month to run my car! and then I have petrol(prob about £40-£50 a week if travelling that far everyday) food aswell!
Thats a LOT on petrol, i live about 10 minute drive from my workplace and i spend about £3 a week on petrol!!!

I'm also on relief for the care home im working in at the moment, and have said I still want to work there when doing my nursing and she was pleased about that.. so say if I did 1-2 shifts a week and its about £7 per hour.. So i'd get extra money from that aswel!
Put this spare cash towards emergencies, books..or broken boiler etc, or even a deposit for a house when the time is better, and more convenient for you

sorry its so long but really would like some advice and to see realistically if it could be done!

thanks xx

phew ok, ive summed it out

I think, IMO you're moving out which is fab, but the SITUATION in which you'll be going into wouldn't be ideal, i'd live with the parents till another offer comes up, maybe even uni accomodation?, or with coursemates nearer to where you live. I couldn't survive if i lived more than 20mins from my uni/placement due to the long hours we have to put in!
Reply 6
Subcutaneous
phew ok, ive summed it out

I think, IMO you're moving out which is fab, but the SITUATION in which you'll be going into wouldn't be ideal, i'd live with the parents till another offer comes up, maybe even uni accomodation?, or with coursemates nearer to where you live. I couldn't survive if i lived more than 20mins from my uni/placement due to the long hours we have to put in!

Thanks very much for reply! :smile:
hhmm I am maybe thinking it's not such a good idea now! - and i'll save so much more money living at home. Maybe ill make good friends on my course and could get a place with them in the 2nd year and in Chester so I wont need a car!
I don't think I can move out and run my car at the moment it's too much!

Latest

Trending

Trending