Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Walking Into Burning Buildings Fine - I lol'd

I thought this email was hilarious:

On Thu, 12 November, 2009 12:54 pm, Glass, Barbara wrote:

DO NOT ENTER THE BUILDING
If you have IPod ear phones in , take them out so that you can hear if the alarms are sounding before entering the building - Griz bar has red lights which flash when the alarm is sounding but most buildings do not. Check. You will be fined £300 for breach of this very sensible rule. THINK! Do not enter a burning building, it is not conducive to good health.

To those who did enter Gz foyer during a fire today Doh!

Barbara Glass
Administrator
Grizedale College

Brimming with smarmy cynicism, I sent this inflammatory reply:

Wait, sorry, what? You're fining the most indebted young people in the country £300 for walking into a building with their earphones in? Look, I know there's a recession and we're all trying to get money where we can, but as the sole guardians of our futures we don't really expect you to steal from us in broad daylight. We're much more comfortable having it done gradually through tuition fees.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I Like This :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
You must be very bored.
Reply 3
bhap08
I Like This :smile:

Why do you have Robocop's wife in your sig?
EmersonDrain
You must be very bored.

Not really, reading my email isn't so taxing to me that I consider it a diversion away from my normal activities.
Reply 5
make sure to post what the reply is...
Reply 6
Have you had a reply from Barbara? You're lucky if she doesn't rip you a new one.
Almost as stupid as last year when they put those dots in the windows of the new Grizedale accommodation and told us they were "privacy dots" so people couldn't look in. We tried them out by swearing at people, they don't work very well...
But if it was prompted by people doing this... lol
Oh yeah, because people wearing earphones tend not to notice smoke and other people running for their lives. They also mysteriously lose their sense of smell.

Besides, no earphones are louder than a fire alarm.
RightSaidJames
Oh yeah, because people wearing earphones tend not to notice smoke and other people running for their lives. They also mysteriously lose their sense of smell.

Besides, no earphones are louder than a fire alarm.

I disagree :biggrin: However if Bowland Annexe goes up in flames I can watch the art department run for their lives as I enter the department, might be a small clue....

Surely the crowd of people outside or running down stairs might be a clue...

I think the response may have been a bit arsey tbh... No kudos for you but then I love our AccOff... Alison Platt is awesome :biggrin:
Reply 11
That is stupid, because 1) fire alarms are generally very loud, and im sure they would be much louder and more noticeable than music playing 2) im sure the person could smell smoke coming from the building should there be a fire 3) they could probably see smoke/fire as well 4) other people running away from the building, or pulling them away from the building might be a sign, so to barbara i say THINK before you patronise people
I like her name, it sounds like a joke name. Can't imagine what the question would be though.

I thought the quality of the email dipped a little in the middle, but overall, good job.

...yeah I'll leave now :shifty:
Reply 13
The whole fine thing is ridiculous. I'd be tempted to try my best to get the fine and then refuse to pay... but I guess I'm just a bit of an ass haha.
What is it about you guys setting your uni on fire?

Last year the bin hut next to Cartmel went up in flames at 3am or something when I was visiting my cousin , now you guys have to be warned not to walk into buildings that are on fire?

Brilliant :biggrin:
I certainly don't deny the sheer uncompromising idiocy of the people who actually did this. Nor do I have anything against Barbara - she's a lovely lady. But the fine itself just had me in stitches. A fine for walking into a building with the alarms sounding? What exactly is it going to be paying for, in a worst-case scenario? My funeral? It's my business if I want to win a Darwin Award. The building's on fire, I don't think my presence within it is going to damage it further.

I'm not saying people should walk into burning buildings - just that fining them is absurd. Apart from being unjustifiable, it's ineffectual: are headphone-wearing potheads* going to, henceforth, think "Whoa, there, an entrance! There's that fine in place now, I better check whether the alarms are going off..."? If on the other hand they're deliberately going into a burning building, if they're that deranged, is a monetary fine really going to stop them? I suspect not.

*I don't mean to imply headphone users are all potheads. It's just a stereotype I find amusing.
Reply 16
The fine is there to stop people doing it. The whole point of a fire alarm is to tell you that you probably shouldn't go into that building. If people are silly enough to walk into a building in which the fire alarm is going off, then the only way to stop them doing it is by putting a fine in place. It's basically a health and safety thing - the college can get into trouble if they don't enforce rules like this (even if it is just a fire drill).

The fine is definitely silly, and I personally think £300 is way too high (£50 would be more appropriate) - but if it's necessary to stop people walking into burning buildings, then I say fair enough :rolleyes:
joecolly
The fine is there to stop people doing it. The whole point of a fire alarm is to tell you that you probably shouldn't go into that building. If people are silly enough to walk into a building in which the fire alarm is going off, then the only way to stop them doing it is by putting a fine in place. It's basically a health and safety thing - the college can get into trouble if they don't enforce rules like this (even if it is just a fire drill).

The fine is definitely silly, and I personally think £300 is way too high (£50 would be more appropriate) - but if it's necessary to stop people walking into burning buildings, then I say fair enough :rolleyes:

But the point is that they seem to be threatening people for wearing headphones when entering a building, whether it's burning or not.
Reply 18
RightSaidJames
But the point is that they seem to be threatening people for wearing headphones when entering a building, whether it's burning or not.

The impression I got from the email is that if you're wearing headphones and entering a building, make sure the fire alarm isn't going off before you enter.

They aren't threatening people for wearing headphones, they're threatening them for entering a building when the fire alarm is going off. It's a pretty simple rule and I don't have a problem with it - I can hear the fire alarm with my headphones in anyway.
Reply 19
Did B reply?!

Latest

Trending

Trending