The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Wanischa
I applied for Chinese with Spanish...so far I found 2 people who has applied for the same course as me but not at Sheffield lol

i have a friend whos doing chinese and spanish at Birmingham and she absolutely loves it haha
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 41
lollipop1
oh right, cool. Thanks for the help :smile:
Are you guys bringing anyone along with you?

yeah im coming with one of the rents you?
Reply 42
lollipop1
oh right, cool. Thanks for the help :smile:
Are you guys bringing anyone along with you?

No problem. Probably just drive up myself, may go up with my dad we'll see.
Reply 43
jnorton8
yeah im coming with one of the rents you?

Might be going by myself or with my mum if she takes the day off work
I started straight Chinese at Sheffield last September. Any questions just ask
Reply 45
Laura.Laurent

just generally how are you finding studying chinese at sheff?

and not sure if you know this because your first year but do you have any idea what kind of things you do in your year in Nanjing?:smile:
It's really good, better than i hoped. You do 8 hours of language a week plus whatever other modules you're taking, learn around 1000 characters in the first year, 2000 in Nanjing and 500 in 3rd and 4th years. It's a lot of work but not unmanageable.

In Nanjing you go to Nanjing University and stay in the international dorms, although you can choose to move into your own apartment as some people do in the second semester there. You do 20 hours a week of purely language and can take extra classes in things like Ancient Chinese and Taichi if you want.

Apparently if you ask your teachers to let you have a couple days off every now and then to go travelling, they're more than happy to as they're thrilled you're exploring China lol. Sounds alright to me :smile: only thing is that you might be sitting in an exam hall on Christmas day depending on how late Chinese New Year is on the year that you go. It doesn't really matter as they don't really celebrate Christmas there anyway, but sucks if you want to go home for Christmas.
Reply 47
Laura.Laurent

Are you doing many modules on Chinese economy/business/history etc. or is the straight Chinese degree just purely language based? I've applied for Chinese Studies and Business Management and though it doesn't specify much on the website, am i right in saying you can opt for these modules as well as having to do the compulsory language ones?
You take 120 credits in a year, 80 is on language and 10 credits have to be spent on either Chinese Modern History, Business and economics or Culture and society. You can spend the remaining 30 credits on anything you want that's approved as an extra module such as maths, journalism, whatever.

Im taking Chinese Modern History and Chinese Culture and Society and doing spending the other 20 credits on Gender in East Asia.

Although as you've applied for a dual degree you will do the 80 credits of language and the other 40 credits on the core compulsory Business Management ones. In third and fourth years though there is only 40 credits of language, so you will have 40 credits to spend on what you want.
Reply 49
Sweet, appreciate the feedback. That's exactly what i was hoping for ;] How are you finding the uni and city in general?
No worries :smile:
It's nicer than any city i've been to, but it's not really like a city tbh, it's like a massive town. Haven't met a horrible person here yet, or any chavs which is a godsend. The uni's great, all the buildings are pretty close for a city uni. Nightlife's good, it's no leeds or manchester though. It's really good if you're into all the mainstream stuff, pretty good for DnB and dubstep, ok for indie and crap for techno/electro which is what i like haha.
Where else are you applying?
Nevermind, just seen it. I'd go for Sheffield (obviously lol) or Leeds. My mate here went to one day of freshers' week at SOAS and hated it, it's very uhh.. unique.
Reply 52
Nice, that was the exact impression i had every time i've visited - love the place.. and no chavs! perfect. Yer SOAS definitely had a rather "unique" and distinct air to it when i went there.. didn't like it at all tbh.. but Sheffield atm is easily my first choice, got everything i'm looking for.
The only minor thing that concerns me is the fact that the entry requirements for the course are so low [BBB] compared to elsewhere, even though i can't distinguish any huge differences that would make them so much lower.. makes things easier for me i guess :]
Reply 53
Hey hey! My names Jordan and im currently on a gap year tennis coaching in Spain :smile: Applied to do Chinese studies at sheffield and recently got an unconditional offer! Pretty happy because i only got BCC, so must have been a decent personal statement haha. Anyway add me on facebook if your also taking this course! Jordan Langton.
Cheers!
Reply 54
I've applied to do Chinese studies with Japanese. It combines two of my biggest interests. So I thought it was a good idea. I got an offer in December for BBC. I visited the uni before and didn't like it, but it's one of the best for my course, so it's my first choice. I'm going to the applicant day on the 17th Feb, to give it another chance and get to know the people that I'd be going to uni with. I think that's the most important factor on deciding whether I'll go there or not. (:
Reply 55
erm does anyone know the details for the department day 2moz? i cant find the info anywhere :frown:
Reply 56
jnorton8
erm does anyone know the details for the department day 2moz? i cant find the info anywhere :frown:

Yer, the 'departmental programme' starts at 2pm in Lecture Theatre 2 [ground floor of Alfred Denny Building] Tours of halls start at 12pm as well.
Reply 57
jas007
Yer, the 'departmental programme' starts at 2pm in Lecture Theatre 2 [ground floor of Alfred Denny Building] Tours of halls start at 12pm as well.

cheers mate! finally found my map and little sheet after hours of looking! see you tommorrow maybe! you on fb?
Hi everyone! I'm shelby and i've got my unconditional for chinese studies at sheffield. I was dead worried that noone else was on forums or facebook and i'll get there and be like omg who is everybody. Yeh i sound weird hahaha. It's nice to meet you all! I'm on facebook if ya wanna add me just ask. So are people looking forward to it? Is anyone commuting? Or are you all living accommodation. Will you have jobs whilst your there.

Yes I am a nosey parker. So sue me.

Bye bye.
Man I wish that I had applied for Chinese at Sheffield now, I don't think Ive seen anyone applied for Chinese at Newcastle (which is my firm) and I only applied for korean at Sheffield. Sigh

Latest

Trending

Trending