The Student Room Group

Why do you want to become a doctor?

I have recently been considering taking on the task of graduate medicine. For many years I've been leaning towards it, and finally am starting to believe it is something I should have done long ago, but also - importantly - realising it is not something I should just give up.

I am wondering what made all of you guys decide to become doctors, and why you are so determined to achieve that goal?

Honesty and frankness is highly appreciated :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
9/11 came along and scrapped the airline sponsorship schemes. I then started watching ER and realised I was **** hot at Biology and thought it looked fun.
Reply 2
RobbieC
I have recently been considering taking on the task of graduate medicine. For many years I've been leaning towards it, and finally am starting to believe it is something I should have done long ago, but also - importantly - realising it is not something I should just give up.

I am wondering what made all of you guys decide to become doctors, and why you are so determined to achieve that goal?

Honesty and frankness is highly appreciated :biggrin:

Hi,

Firstly, I would suggest you read some websites such as:

www.ucas.co.uk

www.medschoolsonline.co.uk

and university websites.

Next, try and get some work experience (this will be essential in helping you decide).

If you like the course enough thus far, then you know it is for you.

Medicine requires 5 years of hard work and then plenty more in the real world.

You need to choose it carefully for that exact reason. :yep:

Good luck, sir. :smile:
I have an obsession with the history of medicine....so why the hell not?!
Reply 4
I love working with other people and enjoy science so.. medicine coupled the two pretty nicely for me.
Reply 5
Because my parents are both doctors

:mmm:
Reply 6
Cause you can wear a white coat and do Dr Henry Kissinger impersonations.
Plus neuroanatomy and neuropathology are fun.
Reply 7
Interesting. I expected a few people to come in and say how their experience of having cancer or knowing someone who passed from cancer or some other chronic disease motivated them.

It's just I wouldn't expect these answers to fly in an interview situation really... the majority of them.

I actually want to become a doctor because of the unending challenges it presents. The work would never be complete, as it were, because you're the part of something that is larger than you can fully appreciate.
I don't know didn't know.
It isn't something I can quantify, but I don't think I want to do anything else atm.
I can always run away from it if I need to.
Reply 9
Because as a field medicine seems to constantly be in flux so there's constantly new and exciting challenges to face. And the social aspect is good, definitely better than sitting in front of a desk for hours on end:yep: .
Reply 10
why is the social aspect better than being in an office wif a phone to phone peeple all day and a computer to mail peeple all day and an office full of staff wif the time to talk to you?
Reply 11
crazylemon
I don't know didn't know.
It isn't something I can quantify, but I don't think I want to do anything else atm.
I can always run away from it if I need to.

yet you'll never get the six years spent there back.
Gizmo!
yet you'll never get the six years spent there back.

And? if you enjoy the ride why does it matter?
Besides could run away in 4 if I wanted too
Reply 13
The jokey answer I tend to give to this question at the moment is 'it's in the genes' - not one I would dream of having used in interview but one that seems to be fairly well accepted! This was always the question I most struggled with while applying because all I could ever come up with were the generic responses that everyone uses. In reality, I'm still not entirely certain why, it just feels right where no other profession does. I'm a fairly altruistic person so always wanted to be in some sort of caring profession.
Reply 14
Fusilero
And the social aspect is good,
You mean talking to people? Telling them that they're got cancer/need an operation/their operation is cancelled/there's nothing you can do is your idea of fun?
Hygeia
The jokey answer I tend to give to this question at the moment is 'it's in the genes' - not one I would dream of having used in interview but one that seems to be fairly well accepted! This was always the question I most struggled with while applying because all I could ever come up with were the generic responses that everyone uses. In reality, I'm still not entirely certain why, it just feels right where no other profession does. I'm a fairly altruistic person so always wanted to be in some sort of caring profession.

Same.
I was soo lucky it didn't come up in any of my interviews XD
Reply 16
Gizmo!
why is the social aspect better than being in an office wif a phone to phone peeple all day and a computer to mail peeple all day and an office full of staff wif the time to talk to you?

You don't really talk to people face to face in an office while you're working now do you?

Anyway my reasons are basically a mix of an interest in the human body, general boredom with all other career paths, the social aspects I guess and the random challenges that come up everyday. It's exciting as well and there's always something happening. At least in hospitals anyway. I'd never, ever want to become a GP because I don't find it exciting or interesting in the slightest.
Scrubby
You don't really talk to people face to face in an office while you're working now do you?

Anyway my reasons are basically a mix of an interest in the human body, general boredom with all other career paths, the social aspects I guess and the random challenges that come up everyday. It's exciting as well and there's always something happening. At least in hospitals anyway. I'd never, ever want to become a GP because I don't find it exciting or interesting in the slightest.

Why out of interest?
Reply 18
crazylemon
Why out of interest?

It may be because I hate my GP with a passion. She's very impersonal, doesn't ever seem interested and constantly seems depressed. And I have never fancied sitting still behind a desk for a long stretch listening to pretty minor problems. I find the idea of being in a constantly moving hospital environment far more engaging and the likelihood of encountering more exotic and complex diseases is far greater. And also being on-call and working at night also seems incredibly cool to me. No idea why.
Scrubby
It may be because I hate my GP with a passion. She's very impersonal, doesn't ever seem interested and constantly seems depressed. And I have never fancied sitting still behind a desk for a long stretch listening to pretty minor problems. I find the idea of being in a constantly moving hospital environment far more engaging and the likelihood of encountering more exotic and complex diseases is far greater. And also being on-call and working at night also seems incredibly cool to me. No idea why.

So more your own GP really, but fair enough.
You can be on call as a GP too though!

Latest

Trending

Trending