The Student Room Group

C1 Edexcel - a few questions im struggling on (+ve rep up for grabs)

The cubic polynomial 2x^3 + x^2 + kx - 10 has a factor x-2. Find the value of k

the questions i've been doing in class usually tell u the quadratic factor too in terms of a, b and c. any ideas on how to do this without the quadratic factor given to u?

Given that f(x) = 2x^3 - x^2 - 10x + 8, find a linear factor and express f(x) as the product of a linear factor and a quadratic factor.

kinda similar, but this time, how do i find the LINEAR factor to begin with?

Prove that, for all real values of k, the roots of x^2 + 2kx - 7 = 0 are real and different.

my working: b^2 - 4ac > 0 => 4k^2 + 28 > 0
however, if i equate 4k^2 + 28 to 0, i'll end up with a negative square root (complex number). where have i gone wrong? or whats the next stage :s-smilie:

ALL help is highly appreciated! +ve rep for most helpful answer!
Reply 1
kn0bch33s3

the questions i've been doing in class usually tell u the quadratic factor too in terms of a, b and c. any ideas on how to do this without the quadratic factor given to u?

First part f(2)=0f(2)=0
For the last question, I don't really think you need to equate it to zero; you've found the discriminant to be 4k^2+28 - any number, when squared, will give a positive number, then multiplying by four and adding 28 will keep it positive, so the discriminant will be always be greater than zero, so the equation will always have two real and distinct solutions
kn0bch33s3

Given that f(x) = 2x^3 - x^2 - 10x + 8, find a linear factor and express f(x) as the product of a linear factor and a quadratic factor.

kinda similar, but this time, how do i find the LINEAR factor to begin with?

Prove that, for all real values of k, the roots of x^2 + 2kx - 7 = 0 are real and different.

however, if i equate 4k^2 + 28 to 0, i'll end up with a negative square root (complex number). where have i gone wrong? or whats the next stage :s-smilie:

For the last one, you have to prove that b24ac>0b^2-4ac>0 you can't start off with the assertion that it is true. Why is 4k2+28>04k^2+28 > 0 for all real k?
Reply 4
Second part: you can either guess a root of the cubic (try x = 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3 etc and see if f(x) evaluates to zero) or plot its graph on a graphical calculator. Once you've found a root, you now know one of the polynomial's factors.

Third part: you want to show 4k^2 + 28 > 0. Try sketching a graph of this and you'll see that 4k^2 + 28 will be positive for all real values of k.
Reply 5
namedeprived
For the last one, you have to prove that b24ac>0b^2-4ac>0 you can't start off with the assertion that it is true. Why is 4k2+28>04k^2+28 > 0 for all real k?
how else would u prove that b^2-4ac>0 without substituting in the values? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Revolution is my Name
For the last question, I don't really think you need to equate it to zero; you've found the discriminant to be 4k^2+28 - any number, when squared, will give a positive number, then multiplying by four and adding 28 will keep it positive, so the discriminant will be always be greater than zero, so the equation will always have two real and distinct solutions
oh that's true lol.. thanks
kn0bch33s3
how else would u prove that b^2-4ac>0 without substituting in the values? :s-smilie:

Read what "Revolution is my Name" said. Any real number squared is positive (or zero). So 4k^2 is positive or zero, therefore 4k^2 + 28 >0
Reply 8
namedeprived
Read what "Revolution is my Name" said. Any real number squared is positive (or zero). So 4k^2 is positive or zero, therefore 4k^2 + 28 >0
yes but u get the values 4k^2 + 28 by substituting into b^2 - 4ac, which is what i did
kn0bch33s3

Spoiler

Spoiler

xx =P

Latest