The Student Room Group

Why don't people spell or use grammar properly?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
innerhollow
If you really don't find the second one easier to read than the first one, then can you at least understand that most people would find the second one easier to read (I used a fairly short passage too any lengthy piece of writing will be easier to read for 99% of people when it's been capitalised) and that's why you should use capital letters.
as i said above, it is not obvious that your comment is one that has any worth beyond being a simple observation of whimsical custom. for example, text of, say, size 14 is preferable to text of size 6 because for most humans the latter is easier to comprehend than the latter due to physical restrictions. in the case of capital letters, if all publishers were to switch to using lower-case letters then it seems reasonable to suggest that everyone would simply adapt to the change; there would be no loss in understanding, or increase in the difficulty of understanding, due to the change. given that dropping capital letters makes the language easier to type and learn, the only thing preventing the improvement is conservatism, custom and tradition. the question is: does the continuation of the custom, and the familiarity with the custom of many readers, justify the slower typing (and learning) of the language? it's not clear how one should respond to that question.

innerhollow
At the very least, the second one sounds more maturely written that the first, despite the content being identical.
that's just a comment on your perception of the type of people who would write using the two different styles -- it has nothing to do with the maturity of the content of the text.
Kolya

Do you think these thoughts can be applied to language as a whole, obviously on a much larger scale. A new language would be easier to learn and use (eg. Newspeak or, a much better exmple, Esperanto) but the introduction of the custom would be practically impossible to do. An analogy would be people using QWERTY keyboards, even though DVORAK is better (debatable but I'm sure you understand). Therefore, while finding capitals easier to read is due to society, it is needed to continue due to the confusion in introducing them.

Sorry if that made no sense. :p:
It does annoy me, well, not annoy me as such I suppose. The thing is a there's people who make mistakes and there's people who just don't know because they haven't learnt it at school. Someone made a point about how the language is changing and that's that, but it's not really the same thing as the example of 'gay'. If you think about it, that's just the meaning of the word that's changed, not the actual grammatical structure of the language. I think that it's important that people learn these things but sometimes correcting people can come across as trying to make out you're superior to them so I don't do it unless someone's asked me to check through their work.
rockrunride
Why is it important? The word "gay" never used to mean homosexual, now it does. Language changes.

Well, if there's no "rules" governing language, then what will be the accepted norm?
miss_p

I was just thinking about it because I see all these Facebook groups/pages with spelling errors in the titles.

I was with you right up to this point. Personally I couldn't give a damn if someone has typed incorrectly on facebook.

As long as I can still get the gist of what their trying to say, then doesn't bother me in the slightest.
it's not really taught in schools. it's something you meant to pick up.
Reply 66
miss_p
Excluding people with dyslexia, of course. And excluding genuine typing mistakes.

So many people misspell (and use in wrong context) your/you're, there/their/they're, to/too/two, and the stupidest one- then/than.
When you get to a certain age, how can you not know the differences between these spellings?

And when people point it out, they get abused like "Omg you're such a loser!! I don't care if I'm spelling it the wrong way, **** off."

I'm not talking about when people use slang like: "Ppl tlk lyk dis an dat enit, u knw wht I mean, yh? Or dey jus use da occasional abbreviation lyk 'ur'."
I mean like proper sentences where all the words are spelt correctly, but if you just use 'your' when it should be 'you're' or vice versa... Why?? They get so annoyed and call people who do spell correctly losers/sad for caring, but the differences in the English language are there for a reason, right? :s-smilie:

I don't point mistakes out (unless it's in someone's essay and I want to help them) but it does really annoy me to see those mistakes. Does anyone else find it annoying, or do you think I'm a loser too? :rolleyes:

I was just thinking about it because I see all these Facebook groups/pages with spelling errors in the titles.

You make a lot of good points there and most of it is pretty basic such as there/their/they're. Where/ were is another one.
Reply 67
then/than annoys me a little, but generally, I don't give a **** as long as I can read what they've typed. :h:
I have to say incorrect use of your/you're, there/their/they're, to/too/two etc. is a pet hate of mine. Don't really know why, just bugs me.

Also, I find typing in full all the time makes writing reports far easier. I'm far less likely to make the small 'insignificant' grammar mistakes that will cost me soft marks.
Reply 69
Lol
miss_p
Excluding people with dyslexia, of course. And excluding genuine typing mistakes.

So many people misspell (and use in wrong context) your/you're, there/their/they're, to/too/two, and the stupidest one- then/than.
When you get to a certain age, how can you not know the differences between these spellings?

And when people point it out, they get abused like "Omg you're such a loser!! I don't care if I'm spelling it the wrong way, **** off."

I'm not talking about when people use slang like: "Ppl tlk lyk dis an dat enit, u knw wht I mean, yh? Or dey jus use da occasional abbreviation lyk 'ur'."
I mean like proper sentences where all the words are spelt correctly, but if you just use 'your' when it should be 'you're' or vice versa... Why?? They get so annoyed and call people who do spell correctly losers/sad for caring, but the differences in the English language are there for a reason, right? :s-smilie:

I don't point mistakes out (unless it's in someone's essay and I want to help them) but it does really annoy me to see those mistakes. Does anyone else find it annoying, or do you think I'm a loser too? :rolleyes:

English is my THIRD and arguably my FOURTH language so my posts are bound to be confusing.

So not everyone is lazy or whatever or their spelling sucks because it does etc.
Reply 71
Because they are stupid and/or lazy.
Reply 72
miss_p

Be honest, how many times did you re-read your that post making sure that there were no errors? :p:
miss_p
*petty rant*

Because my friend, not all of us have 25 A-Star English A Levels :rolleyes:
Reply 74
miss_p

I know! You'd think they'd make enough of an effort to spell the group/page name correctly since they have gone through the trouble of even creating one. Silly, silly people. :no:
Grammar isn't taught in schools properly. I can remember being taught the difference between they're/their/there in primary school where we probably spent a lesson on it and moved on. No doubt some people didn't understand it fully or just didn't pay attention in class. I cared about spelling/grammar but I was definitely in the minority.
I cannot stand bad spelling and really obvious bad grammar. It's extremely unnecessary.
Reply 77
miss_p

I don't point mistakes out (unless it's in someone's essay and I want to help them) but it does really annoy me to see those mistakes. Does anyone else find it annoying, or do you think I'm a loser too?

it is pretty petty in my view.

if often annoys me when people actually go back and correct themselves.

informal communication doesn't NEED to be word-perfect

you can, like you just did spell sorry as sprry as an error, then correct yourself

I couldn't care less if you had left it as sprry, would I have somehow missed the message ? would I be googling sprry?

it just delays things to proof-read, as people would've got the message otherwise, which isn't the point of it all?

I mean certain things like a facebook group title, it's just not a big issue for those creating it? it's a bit of fun

I've gotten the impression from speaking to you, you REALLY are the type of person who actually gets confused if things aren't 'worded properly'

which if you think about it ... shouldn't you able to decipher imperfect text?

forgot the actual words, but focus on the general context
I'm more referring to things like lengthy emails/posts or blogs about current affairs etc that people insist others read because their opinions are superbly important but their writing contains ********* of spelling mistakes. One or two is accountable to error, every other word is a f-ing joke.

And by the by I've never corrected someone whilst insulting them at the same time, in fact, I rarely correct people because I realise how it makes people sound when they do. This is a forum for opinions. That's mine.
Reply 79
people type as they talk
we converse. we are not writing a ******* exam

I find I tend to think in 'essay' form, for lack of a better term, and speak in that manner, too. That means my 'conversing' is pretty much the same as my essay writing, the only real difference being that when I'm writing an essay, there's a proof-reading or two to check for errors; when I'm speaking, of course you've got to get it right first time...or else (as this thread has highlighted). :yes:

As such, little spelling and grammar errors tend to annoy me at a fundamental level. Okay, if someone can't spell 'chthonic' or doesn't know the correct way to use the words 'who' and 'whom' in a sentence, I'm obviously not going to criticise - but surely any non-dyslexics on TSR should be able to distinguish between the meanings of "their", "there" and "they're"? There's "its"/"it's" as well, though that one's a little more subtle. :biggrin:
Though the worst is probably 'grammer'. The irony there often makes me wince in distaste. :frown:

Standardising the use of language and the spelling of same is useful: it allows the more fluent expression of thought and hence a better form of communication between people; if people are not sufficiently familiar with each other to pick up nuances of meaning as are conveyed via colloquialisms, then it is very useful to have an alternative, less vague form of verbal and lexical expression, allowing a more meaningful and efficient flow of conversation, less beleaguered by the misunderstandings and confusions which would otherwise have arisen. :smile:

On a final note, language is ever expanding; I am not in opposition to dictionaries adopting the modern colloquialisms (most of which have, admittedly, arisen through texting abbreviations, eg: "lol", "rofl", etc) but I do oppose their advance if people are starting to adopt these terms exclusively in place of 'proper' language. The words have evolved for a reason; why not use them? :hmmm:

Plus, some words are just :awesome:: 'paniety', for instance. :yep:

If I've made a typo, never mind: I won't correct it, because I can't be bothered; proof-reading is not something I do for posts on TSR. :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending