The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster's religious studies and philosophy department

could anyone let me know of Lancaster's religious studies and philosophy department. Are they respected subjects, do they perform well among other universities. Would you recommend me stduying this at lancaster or somewhere like at uni of Manchester or uni of kent? Please any advice will be useful, as i am confused about where i should to get the most out of my uni experience and my degree :biggrin:
Please help! :biggrin:
Reply 1
I don't know much about philosophy, but the Religious Studies Department is very good and has a good reputation, especially for comparative and non-Christian religions. It is quite "cutting edge", so don't look at Lancs if you want conventional theology or Bible Study. They do a lot of religion and society, anthropological and cultural stuff.
I did RS as a minor, my tutor was of the Bah'ai faith, which helped me learn about something I had never even heard of!
The downside is that it is a small department, not many people study RS, and you will find that they are not able to offer all the modules every year, so you can be disappointed if the subject that interests you is removed for your year, because the content changes or the tutor goes off to do research or whatever.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Lizj
I don't know much about philosophy, but the Religious Studies Department is very good and has a good reputation, especially for comparative and non-Christian religions. It is quite "cutting edge", so don't look at Lancs if you want conventional theology or Bible Study. They do a lot of religion and society, anthropological and cultural stuff.
I did RS as a minor, my tutor was of the Bah'ai faith, which helped me learn about something I had never even heard of!
The downside is that it is a small department, not many people study RS, and you will find that they are not able to offer all the modules every year, so you can be disappointed if the subject that interests you is removed for your year, because the content changes or the tutor goes off to do research or whatever.

Thnks for your reply! that is exactly what i want to study, various religions, not just theology and the bible etcc as ive been doing that at A level. ive applied for relgious studies and philosophy, do you think it being a small group i wont make as many friends as others in big departments? around how many would you say is studying RS?
Reply 3
Patienceistheword
Thnks for your reply! that is exactly what i want to study, various religions, not just theology and the bible etcc as ive been doing that at A level. ive applied for relgious studies and philosophy, do you think it being a small group i wont make as many friends as others in big departments? around how many would you say is studying RS?

I don't think the size of department has much influence on how many friends you make. Most friendships come from college or societies (well, mine did). And the smaller groups in RS mean that you get to know people better, as you see them more often and you don't get isolated in huge lecture theatres. You also develop closer relationships with tutors.
There are about 30 in each year doing RS, this is not many compared to other departments, and I do know that there are only 2 people taking the Anthropology of Religion course this year. In First year the numbers are higher because of people taking RS as a minor, this drops in Year 2.

Latest

Trending

Trending