The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have 54 mbps here, and this is a pretty cheap wireless, so that's ********

Note: Mb, not MB before someone misinterprets that.
Reply 2
Oh Japan. :daydreaming:
Reply 3
Another reason to go to Japan :lol:
Reply 4
OceanInTheSky
I have 54 mbps here, and this is a pretty cheap wireless, so that's bollox.

you do know that just because it says 54 mbps on your wireless modem or on the bottom, right corner of your PC doesn't mean you actually have a "54 mbps" connection...
ibs137
you do know that just because it says 54 mbps on your wireless modem or on the bottom, right corner of your PC doesn't mean you actually have a "54 mbps" connection...

Well then the universe makes no sense.
Reply 6
OceanInTheSky

that's probably just your network transmittion capacity, which is the max speed at which your network adapter can transfer files between computers on your network. if your provider actually gives you 54Mbps then that's pretty damn impressive but also fairly unlikely.
Reply 7
OceanInTheSky
I have 54 mbps here, and this is a pretty cheap wireless, so that's ********.

That's just the speed your wireless router can work at. Everything outside of your house will be MUCH slower.
Reply 8
OceanInTheSky

Go and test here, www.speedtest.net

Don't use the icon in the corner.
Reply 9
My wireless is awful here. My Uni is in the worst internet speed area in the country so I don't get much good internet. Videos in people's signatures often put strain on the loading time.
Reply 10
Poor infrastructure, poor investment. Its all about fibre optics baby, the UK still heavily rely on copper in the telephone network... well I think they do!

I have a 9.70mbps download rate according to that website, should be 15! At some points in the day it is pretty shocking, I suspect it is about half that again at 5-6pm when everyone in the area gets home from work!
Immigrants.
Reply 12

I was wondering the same thing :colonhash:
Seanisonfire
Immigrants.

Coming over here, using our bandwidth :mad:
Lol. :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:. I lived in canada and I knew very few people with anything over 5Mb speed.

also. Average price $6.50? My ass.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Internet/

7.5Mb internet in canada is $45 a month standalone.
Hah! I knew someone would say 54MBPS or those with the good old wired 100MBS

That is your network transmission speed not your bandwidth speed.
because we haven't invested in it like countries like japan, korea, maybe china but not sure, we are very slowly making it better but will take many a year i think to get to a way better and faster speed

I take it all those figures are average? Because I know The Netherlands has faster Internet than that (in fact 120Mbps: http://www.upc.nl/internet/) but yeah, that's to be expected considering a large of number of datacentres are located in The Netherlands.
I know we're behind in the broadband and high-speed Internet age, but I think we could do with looking at the figures in a different light.

Japan, Korea, very industrial nations with a lot of large businesses and corporations who will need the higher speeds, whereas our industry infrastructure appear to be coping absolutely fine. I think that's a major contributing factor to the massive spikes in the bar chart!

Finland, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, they've always had amazing Internet and they have a lot to be proud of in their countries. So wish I was there!

All they've done there is take an average, and that doesn't tell us much, because we already know that about 40% of households in the country don't have access to a 2Mbps broadband line, and we're urging to get this sorted. The reason for this is the distance between houses and telephone exchanges. We have a lot of country roads, lanes and houses, who are going to be quite far from their exchange. This in itself isn't an issue, but the technology we're using is. We're still going for ADSL2+, and whilst BT is rolling out its 21CN network, it's still reporting hours on end of access outages, and we need to bear in mind that speeds are still limited to around 24Mbps.

The 21CN network isn't due to finish rollout until 2011. By this time, ADSL2+ will be even more outdated. Although it would require replacing a lot of wiring, from house to exchange, I think we need to go fiber optic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibre_to_the_home - we can get better reliability and faster speeds out of this, and let's face it, we're likely to be replacing the old copper cabling in some more years time anyway, so might as well future-proof and do it now :smile:
darkraver
that's to be expected considering a large of number of datacentres are located in The Netherlands.

Backbone connectivity is somewhat different though... I live ~100m from Telehouse, but only have a 3mbit ADSL connection.

Latest

Trending

Trending