The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Combo's
Oh goodness me, please, God gave you eyes/ears so please use them.

Exactly!! a huge factor is your post code area, poor postcode area means reckless drivers hence insurance increase.

I am not whining about it, I have pretty much begun to accept it and my insurance is gradually falling as to what it was so happy days but please read through carefully next time to avoid embarrassing yourself

I wasn't even talking about reckless drivers in my post... :-/
Reply 781
Original post by inksplodge

I wasn't even talking about reckless drivers in my post... :-/

I give up, honestly
....alternatively, these children could actually put some effort into searching and negotiating properly.

my cousin, 17yo male living in the ghetto of east london, passed a few months back, pays 850 for this year for comprehensive cover on a peugeot estate - even though the best price he was offered before we haggled was closer to 2,000.

if you want the goods, you gotta go work for it.
Reply 783
Two months ago where i passed my test, i got a quote on a suzuki swift for £5800, two months later im getting quotes of £6600 on third party. :s
I have been shopping around for weeks trying to get insurance sorted out for my Vauxhall corsa, looking for the best quotes, Yesterday I found my lowest quote for £1300 and checked it today to find it increased to £2400! the exact same details and everything

I am 22 and passed my test 2 years ago and this would be my first car and insurance, I need a car to get me to/from work so I'll be purchasing the insurance, whether it be £1300 or £2400.

I couldn't purchase the insurance yesterday as I did not have the money, and won't get the money till next week which by then it may have increase to £4000.

Should I ring up and get a quote with the same insurance over the phone and say that someone quoted me cheaper? will the person I talk to on the phone be able to make my quote cheaper or are they unable to quote any cheaper than what they get on the computer?
Original post by Ingenie.inc
I have been shopping around for weeks trying to get insurance sorted out for my Vauxhall corsa, looking for the best quotes, Yesterday I found my lowest quote for £1300 and checked it today to find it increased to £2400! the exact same details and everything

I am 22 and passed my test 2 years ago and this would be my first car and insurance, I need a car to get me to/from work so I'll be purchasing the insurance, whether it be £1300 or £2400.

I couldn't purchase the insurance yesterday as I did not have the money, and won't get the money till next week which by then it may have increase to £4000.

Should I ring up and get a quote with the same insurance over the phone and say that someone quoted me cheaper? will the person I talk to on the phone be able to make my quote cheaper or are they unable to quote any cheaper than what they get on the computer?

Whenever I get insurance quotes...

I get an E-MAIL with the quotes I've done, every single quote. So if it's gone up to £2400 just show them in the e-mail that it was £1300. If you got an e-mail of course
Sometimes things in life are just too good to be true. :frown:
Original post by Ingenie.inc

they're not always able to beat it. we told aviva our lowest quote and they said unfortunately they weren't able to offer any lower :frown: surely the £1300 quote is saved, though?

they're not always able to beat it. we told aviva our lowest quote and they said unfortunately they weren't able to offer any lower :frown: surely the £1300 quote is saved, though?

thanks , maybe, I'll check it soon !
Reply 789
check your quote history?

or maybe its to do with sales targets? e.g. by the end of the year they need to sell x more policies? but surely they'd work to the financial year?
Reply 790
Car is just sitting outside waiting to be insured :sigh:

But everything is ridiculously expensive cause my mum doesn't want to put her no claims discount on it.
I was 17 when I got my first insurance, and it cost me £2800 on a 1.0l Corsa 04 reg. Yes, extortionate I know but life goes on.

Now, it runs out in Febuary and I looked today and the cheapest price on Go-Compare that I cna get with 1NCB is £1272.

How much do you reckon I could get this down too? Its still quite a lot, but significantly less than it was. This is fully comp, as 3rd party was £1240 and 3rd party F&T was £1250- strange?

So yeah, I have my dad, sister and mum as named drivers to get it down, but if I phoned I reckon I'd be lucky to get it down to £1150-£1200?

Cheers
Not strange for TPFT to be lower than tp. Sometimes FC is actually cheaper than both. Ring round and try and pitch the companies against each other, make up a realistic quote, say £1000 and see who will match it/beat it. Say you've been referred by a friend, herd really good things about them, stuff like that
Reply 793
Original post by Right Guard 3.D
I was 17 when I got my first insurance, and it cost me £2800 on a 1.0l Corsa 04 reg. Yes, extortionate I know but life goes on.

Now, it runs out in Febuary and I looked today and the cheapest price on Go-Compare that I cna get with 1NCB is £1272.

How much do you reckon I could get this down too? Its still quite a lot, but significantly less than it was. This is fully comp, as 3rd party was £1240 and 3rd party F&T was £1250- strange?

So yeah, I have my dad, sister and mum as named drivers to get it down, but if I phoned I reckon I'd be lucky to get it down to £1150-£1200?

Cheers

My advice would be to follow the advice in the OP of the sticky about cheap car insurance.

No one on here can tell you exactly the price you can get. I would assume with a few hours of work trying every comparison site and the few tohers like directline you could probably get it sub £1000 but it depends on hundreds of factors...
Reply 794
Original post by THEALB10N
https://fjquotesonline.co.uk/CoreQuote/faces/TermsConditions.jsp?Product=1&Style=3

"Must have held a full UK licence for 5 years"

"All drivers must be aged between 25 and 74"

So how exactly did you get insured with them at 18? :wink:

by calling them directly. You might surprise yourself :wink:
Is there any way to get car insurance quotes without your credit report being searched?
I was recently looking for car insurance on random cars, some just out of curiosity but some with a view to take out a policy very soon. Im looking to be a named driver on an insurance policy (Sheilas Wheels dont insure undr 21s) so im looking for the best deal but dont wanna get tons of searches on credit report like before.
Reply 796
Anyone used the co-op smart box insurance?. If so what is it like u no for like following the speed limit, can you for example drive 45 on a 30?
Reply 797
Original post by aki1994
Anyone used the co-op smart box insurance?. If so what is it like u no for like following the speed limit, can you for example drive 45 on a 30?

I just got this last week, my smart box is gonna be installed in 10days.

I think it will be like speed cameras, a few miles off the limit might be fine but excessive speeding will probably bring down your insurance.
Reply 798
Original post by aki1994

Yes, several users on here have used them. A few have posted in a thread here.http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1834449

Go give that a read and if it doesn't answer your questions then quote one or two of the people that say they have the insurance and ask them speicifically.
Reply 799
Original post by aki1994

Why would you do 45 in a 30 zone?

Latest

Trending

Trending