The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'd assume serious mental illnesses and health issues would be a restriction for the safety of the people you are teaching, but I guess minor menal health issues that can be medically controlled or wouldnt effect your teaching ability, or health issues that just effect you physical ability (e.g. beeing wheelchair bound) would not be such a problem, but to find out if any of the restrictions effect you email the university you are planning to take your teaching degree with, after-all they are the most qualified teachers you will ever come into contact with so should be able to give you an answer.
Steeeeevo
health issues that just effect you physical ability (e.g. beeing wheelchair bound) would not be such a problem

That's made me wonder actually because I've never seen a teacher in a wheelchair, and I imagine it would be quite a problem since not many schools have the facilities for disabled people to get around, ie lifts, and there's not enough room between desks in the classroom for a wheelchair.
Reply 3
i know they do health checks , as well as criminal record checks on u before commencement of course, but im not sure what illnesses they check for, or what illnessness /conditions that stop u starting the course and becoming a teacher.

u should prob check with university u are interested in , they would b able to tell u im sure
I don't think there are limitations if your in a wheelchair, but I guess in reality it would be difficult. Obviously no serious criminal record. I had to have a CRB check to run playschemes with kids next month & they didn't ask if I have a disability (although they know I don't I guess).
Reply 5
Part of achieving QTS is to prove that your are physcially and mentally fit for teaching. Basically, this means not having any serious illnesses that are reoccouring and could be detrimental to the people you're teaching.
Reply 6
kellywood_5
That's made me wonder actually because I've never seen a teacher in a wheelchair, and I imagine it would be quite a problem since not many schools have the facilities for disabled people to get around, ie lifts, and there's not enough room between desks in the classroom for a wheelchair.

I have, a teacher at my old school was in a traffic accident and she was wheelchair bound after that, but she is still working there now, with all the discrimination laws that are now in place I think only disablitys that whould stop you being able to teach (such as being deaf I suppose, but then that would not be such a problem in a deaf school) would stop you being able to teach.

ah and about not many schools having facilitys if they had a diabled teacher aplicant the would put them in place fast, It is now law that all public places (schools, shops, hospitals, police stations ect) have to be accesable to dasabled people if possible or they could be took to court
Steeeeevo
I have, a teacher at my old school was in a traffic accident and she was wheelchair bound after that, but she is still working there now, with all the discrimination laws that are now in place I think only disablitys that whould stop you being able to teach (such as being deaf I suppose, but then that would not be such a problem in a deaf school) would stop you being able to teach.

ah and about not many schools having facilitys if they had a diabled teacher aplicant the would put them in place fast, It is now law that all public places (schools, shops, hospitals, police stations ect) have to be accesable to dasabled people if possible or they could be took to court

Yeah, I guessed that would be the case with all the disability discrimination laws we have now. It's just not that common.
Reply 8
^ Like at our school we had an application for a kid who was wheelchair bound so our school built ramps and an elevator for him. For one kid! It'd be the same for teachers.

Latest

Trending

Trending