The Student Room Group
erm im going to be bias and say nursing due to the JOB shortage..it's a no brainer

biomed scientists are all right but..you don't see about their job shortages in the papers

why are you asking anyway?
Reply 2
Subcutaneous
erm im going to be bias and say nursing due to the JOB shortage..it's a no brainer

biomed scientists are all right but..you don't see about their job shortages in the papers

why are you asking anyway?

Its a long story, you can see in my other post (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23410895#post23410895) my misery on deciding which to pick as a degree to do before doing Medicine, either Biomedical science or Nursing...

its just that I can do Biomedical science, but I dont really feel like I want to do lab based works, I'm more on the patients type of person. Plus, a lot of my relatives are Nurses, and so is my mom LOL

But most people in here disagree because they keep saying that doing Nursing is a disadvantage...while doing Biomedical Science will give a lot of advantage...I AM SO CONFUSED!

The reason I asked this question is that, in case even after I've spent 3 years of my life doing a course I didnt really intended to do in the first place, I could atleast get a job out of it.
Niveken13
Its a long story, you can see in my other post (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23410895#post23410895) my misery on deciding which to pick as a degree to do before doing Medicine, either Biomedical science or Nursing...

its just that I can do Biomedical science, but I dont really feel like I want to do lab based works, I'm more on the patients type of person. Plus, a lot of my relatives are Nurses, and so is my mom LOL

But most people in here disagree because they keep saying that doing Nursing a disadvantage...while doing Biomedical Science will give a lot of advantage...I AM SO CONFUSED!

just do biomedical science, honestly we bully and torture people on nursing courses who do it just to be doctors..they're the worst kind of people

Im drunk atm, so can't give you 'sensible' advice but..dude..just dont bother doing nursing, you'll get **** bored of it, you get treated like **** and the work is as boring as hell

oh and the job situation is **** atm too in nursing..i'm doing a masters straight after my degree out of fear of not getting a job
If you want to go to medicine, do biomed, don't train as a nurse as a pretend doctor. Plus on a biomed course you'll probably find a number of people who want to do the same as you so there'll be support.

Some biomed courses also offer fast track to medicine. With biomeds i know of several places with shortages in staff (NHS labs), but they want people who have done an accredited course, not just a general biomed course.
Reply 5
Nursing I think.

Do what you want to do ignore other people. If you think nursing is more suited to you because you're more a 'patient person than lab' then do it. Just pick whichever one you would be interested in the most. It's your life.
blacklight
Nursing is far superior for career reasons, and has plenty of patient contact.

As for future entry to medicine, biomedical science doesn't seem a good approach. You will not stand out amongst the hordes of graduate applicants to medicine with this discipline.

I would do another science topic personally, such as physics, chemistry or perhaps molecular bio if entry to medicine is your priority. If you want an alternative career, you are patient orientated and want the opportunity to switch over in the future after a degree and some experience, then nursing may be best.

Have you considered pharmacy or physiotherapy also?

they pretty much don't care what degree you do, as long as it one they want and you get a 2.1 or a 1st

standing in the whole picture of it will be down to how you spent your time at uni and work experience, not due to what your degree is in

what could be good is doing a degree your enjoy
Reply 7
The excellent thing about BioMed is the fact that (if you're at a good Uni) your faculty will fully support your Med application and if it's anything like my Uni, they'll give you a series of talks about applying and how to really sell yourself (they might even run a Personal statement help session!)

However.... Nursing gives you a huge amount of patient contact stuff to talk about which is difficult to get hold of these days, and if you don't want to work in a lab then really it's not much of a choice.
Reply 8
Im 1st year biomed student and you get a load of lab time! if labs are not your thing then really dont do biomed because the labs take up alot of your time. It doesnt matter really what you do if you really want to do medicine you will find a way of getting there in the end even if its the long way round lol if you like patient contact i would go for nursing cause of the placements and at the end of the day you have to do 3 years of the course so you have gotta be happy, you would have a good chance of gettin in with those grades aswell :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending