The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Its over 9000!!!!!!
Also, just so you know, I'd probably say of all of the Sciences, Chemistry A level is the most distant from it's GCSE sibling. You maybe in the first week cover stuff you learnt about electron rings, moles etc, and then you're basically told to forget it all and learn better ways of represeting electron structure etc.

I had a friend who got an A* at Chemistry GCSE but got an E overall last year. It really is that different. Make sure you know what you're getting into.
TwilightKnight
It's kinda like Maths in a way in that once you know a rule or a mechanism, you can apply it to any question. The only bad thing, if you're doing OCR, is that you need to know basically all of the definitions for the first module. Once you get to module 2 and 3, you basically only need to know what a nucleophile and electrophile are and then fill in the rest.

I'd go as far as to say it's probably the HARDEST A Level (At least in science) because you do need to know a lot for the exams - the modules are definitely very varied, whereas with Physics or Maths, it just flows better.

Not to discourage you, but make sure you know what you're getting into. Maths is definitely my favourite A Level, but I love applying my Chemistry knowledge where I can. I was discussing a possible hangover cure with my tutor the other day after a mate got massively rough over the weekend, and we actually sat down and went through the science making it work. Coming soon to a store near you.

Biology ******* sucks though. Unless you're lucky enough to be able to do Human Biology.

Really??

I find Biology so so hard - it's not like Chemistry or Maths where you can apply rules, instead you have to have an amazing memory!
... something I am unfortunately not blessed with :frown:
Chemistry is fun I enjoy it. Take chemistry mate and extend your chemical power:sexface:
Dora the Dagger
Really??

I find Biology so so hard - it's not like Chemistry or Maths where you can apply rules, instead you have to have an amazing memory!
... something I am unfortunately not blessed with :frown:

You're right of course. It's subjective. Biology for me isn't hard, but that's because im doing AQA and it's like playing Russian roulette with five of the chambers loaded. You can know everything you need for the exam (I made respiration and photosynthesis my bitch) and still walk away with an E because the examiner was thinking too much about buying a Shrew for a pet when setting the questions.
i like it

but the majority of the time it makes me want to put my head through a wall...
Reply 26
It's great, piss easy if you actually get enjoy it. I had fairly poor GCSEs, AAABCCCEEE however got something like 87% for AS chem which is a decent A and 70% for A2. That being said I took both AS and A2 in a single year alongside each other (1st time sitting) so yeah.. aiming to 100% my A2s next week :p:
Reply 27
It's hard.
AS isn't too bad because there's not too much to know but once you get to A2 you have to know everything from AS and all the new A2 stuff you're learning too.
But yeah you're aunt's right you can do pretty much anything sciency with Maths, Chem and Physics...except..well biology but who wants to do that anyway?
Reply 28
GCSE is really no indication of A-Level difficulty. Most poeple can get an A at GCSE if they have a bit of nouse but at A Level it's harder, a lot harder - Chem is one of the hardest A Levels about.
However, I really like it - as you can see, it's quite different to my other A Levels but it's a great subject, especially if you have good teachers.

I wouldn't recommend doing Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology A Level - it's far too narrow-minded, perhaps throw in an arts subject such as History, a language or English to give yourself a broader spectrum.
Reply 29
Yeah Chemistry at A level is probably on par with Physics in my opinion (in fact I find Physics easier), it is sort of a middle gorund between Bio and Physics.
It leans more towards Biology in terms of "text to maths ratio" but more into particles etc.
I got a B and D at AS (second paper was like a punch in the mouth) but I learnt the hard way so all you have to do is learn to condense your notes as you go along and make sure you know every unit inside and out.

But it truly is a lovely subject and I will be studying Chemistry at Uni....hopefully :smile:
mya369
:yep: Its my favourite subject :p: /geek

YES chemistry for the win :woo:
Reply 31
Glee
i dont like it D:
it's alright though, gotta push myself

I don't really enjoy it and therefore don't feel as motivated for it as maths and even physics to some degree.

It's not super hard (I'm doing OCR A) but there is a tonne to remember and it can be a bit overwhelming if you don't stay on top of it.
Smeh
It's hard.
AS isn't too bad because there's not too much to know but once you get to A2 you have to know everything from AS and all the new A2 stuff you're learning too.
But yeah you're aunt's right you can do pretty much anything sciency with Maths, Chem and Physics...except..well biology but who wants to do that anyway?

Know what? I think Biology is useless at A Level. Pretty much everything I've learnt from Biology that would possibly be useful to me during a degree in Medicine I've learnt from Chemistry. Im actually considering going to my insurance offer (Medicinal and Biological Chemistry) before doing Medicine to better prepare myself for the course. There's been some rows about it with Tutors and parents, but I honestly think the knowledge taught these days lacks a lot of the pharmacological side.
Eurgh... presently in the process of trying to learn all of unit one for wednesday...:s-smilie: It would be fair to say I tend to find it fairly hard at times.

I definitely found a big jump from GCSE to AS and some parts are reeeeaaally boring, others are quite interesting - It's all subjective of course though...
I did double science at GCSE (wasn't asked to do triple *shakes fist*) and came out with A*A overall, with A*s in both Chemistry unit exams. I'm now in A2 chemistry, got the exam on Wednesday, and I find it really challenging at times, but if you put time and effort into it you shouldn't have a problem. Your GCSEs don't reflect how well you'll do at A Level :]
TwilightKnight
You're right of course. It's subjective. Biology for me isn't hard, but that's because im doing AQA and it's like playing Russian roulette with five of the chambers loaded. You can know everything you need for the exam (I made respiration and photosynthesis my bitch) and still walk away with an E because the examiner was thinking too much about buying a Shrew for a pet when setting the questions.

How annoying!!
I really hate exams.. I wish you could just learn for the fun of it.. But that's going on an old tangent no one really likes to talk about.

Congrats for making photosynthesis and Respiration your bitch though! When it comes to revision I tend to get all stuborn and say "Well I understand it.. surely that's enough?". No. That is definitely NOT enough when examiners come along.... Grumble
Reply 36
I'm doing chemsitry maths and physics at A2 level. Of the 3 i would say chemistry is the hardest.
I hate chemistry. Have an exam on Wednesday and i'm going to fail it :sigh:

I need an A in it and that's definitely NOT going to happen :frown:

stay well clear...
Reply 38
Its a massive leap from GCSE and pretty much everything you cover will be new but its very rewarding and fairly interesting. Also the exams are quite good provided you've revised a bit, unlike Biology (thanks to AQA and the trainwreck its passing off as an exam) and physics (which OCR mucked up last june but apparently they've fixed it)
If you're doing maths then go for it, it'll come in very useful, especially in A2
Reply 39
It isn't too bad as long as you keep on top of it, and make sure you actually understand the content when the teacher is teaching you it, because self-teaching some of the tricky stuff can be hard.

:smile:

Latest