The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
dehennad
Hey people.

BAsically, me and a friend of mine are thinking of applying to Durham. We got decent GCSE results (6A*s 3A's each) and are predicted AAAA at AS level. Then today, we were told you might need 8A*s at GCSE to get in....... is this true???
We wanna apply for economics/politics, probably joint honours.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Thanks in advance
xxx

6 A*s and 4 As only decent? :p:

No it's not true. Yes departments might look at your GCSE results, some place quite an emphasis on GCSE results, but those that do often use a GCSE standardisation score (more on that later) and even then probably don't look for an specific number of A*s. History claim that like a high number including an A* in history, economics and Durham-based psychology that they prefer applicants with all/the majority of their grades at A* and A.

Now, as for the standardisation score, this is when your school might be taken into account. Every school in the country is given a modifier score. The lower the score, the "better" the school. So a student who achieves mainly As at a school with a modifier of 1.8 is more of an achievement than a student who achieved similar results (even slightly better) but went to a school whose modifier is, say, 0.2. Most of the Durham's departments use this method.

A list of departments who use the GCSE standardisation score can be found on the university's website (economics do, politics do not but then economics is the lead department in politics and economics joint honours therefore your application will be considered by economics - someone correct me if I'm wrong). You can also find your own school's modifier school by clicking on the relevant link at the bottom of the page.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/faqs/?faqno=1482

But I can tell you with certainty that you do not need 8 A*s for politics programmes at Durham. You will not be instantly rejected just because you "only" have 8 A*s. If you have a stronger personal statement and reference than some of those with 8, 9 or even 10 A*s then you're probably in the stronger position. So just work on that personal statement and those A levels!

Good luck!

Eeep....I knew my old school has a low modifier (meaning that it's one of the top-performing schools) but thought it was 0.3 not 0.1 :s-smilie:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
You should be more than okay for Econ :smile:
Reply 3
I just recieved an offer from Durham and I got 7 A's 4 B's and 1 C for my GCSEs so i deffo wouldn't worry about it and go ahead and apply :smile:
Reply 4
With 3 A's at a level with good subjects, with ease.
Reply 5
ElenaIska
I just recieved an offer from Durham and I got 7 A's 4 B's and 1 C for my GCSEs so i deffo wouldn't worry about it and go ahead and apply :smile:

For Economics?
Reply 6
dehennad
Hey people.

BAsically, me and a friend of mine are thinking of applying to Durham. We got decent GCSE results (6A*s 3A's each) and are predicted AAAA at AS level. Then today, we were told you might need 8A*s at GCSE to get in....... is this true???
We wanna apply for economics/politics, probably joint honours.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Thanks in advance
xxx

For Straight Economics - they want minimum 5 A* and for two of them to be in Mathematics and English Language.
They also sometimes use a GCSE modifier, A*=1 point
A = 0.6 point for the top 8 GCSE grades hence your case at 7.8 points + the school's modifier score ( the worse the school the higher the points).
http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/undergraduate/apply/GCSEstandardisationmeasurementscorelook_upEngland.pdf find your school here.
Reply 7
Wesssty
With 3 A's at a level with good subjects, with ease.

For Economics? Are you kidding? Tell that to the Economics 2010 thread.
Reply 8
Maturity
For Economics? Are you kidding? Tell that to the Economics 2010 thread.

With AAA offers, how about that.
Wesssty
With AAA offers, how about that.

Fine, but not everyone predicted AAA (or better, since they don't really trust A* predictions yet, since teachers have no experience of how A*s will work in practice) will get an offer, they have far too many candidates with AAA predictions. That's why they have to start looking at GCSEs etc.
Reply 10
Maturity
For Economics?

Accounting and Finance
Reply 11
ElenaIska
Accounting and Finance

No offence, but Economics is a far more competitive course. :smile: .
River85
A list of departments who use the GCSE standardisation score can be found on the university's website (economics do, politics do not but then economics is the lead department in politics and economics joint honours therefore your application will be considered by economics - someone correct me if I'm wrong). You can also find your own school's modifier school by clicking on the relevant link at the bottom of the page.

This confuses me. My school is not on this list (nor UCAS's for that matter), but the sixth form it is a part of is.
Reply 13
River85
6 A*s and 4 As only decent? :p:

No it's not true. Yes departments might look at your GCSE results, some place quite an emphasis on GCSE results, but those that do often use a GCSE standardisation score (more on that later) and even then probably don't look for an specific number of A*s. History claim that like a high number including an A* in history, economics and Durham-based psychology that they prefer applicants with all/the majority of their grades at A* and A.

Now, as for the standardisation score, this is when your school might be taken into account. Every school in the country is given a modifier score. The lower the score, the "better" the school. So a student who achieves mainly As at a school with a modifier of 1.8 is more of an achievement than a student who achieved similar results (even slightly better) but went to a school whose modifier is, say, 0.2. Most of the Durham's departments use this method.

But I can tell you with certainty that you do not need 8 A*s for politics programmes at Durham. You will not be instantly rejected just because you "only" have 8 A*s. If you have a stronger personal statement and reference than some of those with 8, 9 or even 10 A*s then you're probably in the stronger position. So just work on that personal statement and those A levels!

Good luck!

Eeep....I knew my old school has a low modifier (meaning that it's one of the top-performing schools) but thought it was 0.3 not 0.1 :s-smilie:

Well.....my school has a modifier of 0.0............. so my guess if I'm gonna have to work hard on A Levels and personal statement!!!!! haha eek really not good!

Thanks for the advice though!

Latest