The Student Room Group

how far in advance did you apply for pg school

I know some people have always known they wanted to go to PG School but I kind of decided on a whim (a little over a month ago). All my stuff is in and the universities Ive applied to have been great in their expediant correspondance, but I have havent heard anything from a couple about offers. How early do people usually apply, and how long did it take for you to receive your acceptance/rejection? (btw Im a broadcast journalism pg)

:confused: dianne
I took a year out after my degree so I applied well over a year in advance. It's something I knew I wanted to do since halfway through my undergraduate studies.
Reply 2
What level are you applying at? Masters or doctorate?
Actually this is a really good thread, so keep replying guys :biggrin:

I'm gonna apply in Sep, so about 6 months before-hand. Oh yeah, just remembered that physio bridging course :rolleyes: :/ Ok well then, it'll have to be Feb for the July starting date.
Reply 4
i applied about a year in advance.. and the uni took about a month to reply me cos the course coordinator wasn't around then
Reply 5
I appled for my masters in December / Jan and I think it took about 6 weeks. For the PhD I was late, in April I think and I found out a couple of weeks ago after being invited for interview last month and being interviewed this month. Deadlines and how long it takes for each place to process applications tends to vary according to the timetables they set.
Reply 6
It varies enourmously, I applied for mine in October 04, didn't hear anything until March 05, had the interview in April 05 and then the offer in June 05! The course starts in September so mine took almost a year....! :eek:
Reply 7
chriswhit
I appled for my masters in December / Jan and I think it took about 6 weeks. For the PhD I was late, in April I think and I found out a couple of weeks ago after being invited for interview last month and being interviewed this month. Deadlines and how long it takes for each place to process applications tends to vary according to the timetables they set.

How many unis did you apply for the Phd?
Reply 8
anabelle
How many unis did you apply for the Phd?

I applied to three
Reply 9
I applied in about April of the same year for my D.Phil - largely as a result of not knowing what to do with my life!

I applied for 6 PhD/D.Phils - had interviews for them all in June time and offers within a 3-7 days, with the exception of the D.Phil I actually did, which was advertised in May, I was interviewed at the end of June and offered it by phone on my way back from my interview.
Reply 10
Thanks so much for all the input everyone! I am applying for MA in Broadcast Journalism. I work as a reporter(mostly sports) right now, so I have that going for me in my applications. I decided I wanted to go to grad school in the UK in June. So far the universities have been supportive of my lateness. Also, does anyone know what the best universities for pg in braodcast journalism are? I have just been randomly applying to ones I found on britishcouncil.org and through google. :redface: once again...thanks to everyone...hope to be in the UK come Sept!!!

dianne
I technically applied to one, but I was interested in and visited 4 other universities. My subject area is so desparate for students that they don't bother interviewing you, just a chat to make sure you aren't an alien or a psycho.
Reply 12
ahah..what is your subject area!?
Reply 13
I just applied to a Masters program at LSE and I was wondering how long it would take them to respond. I would have to move to London (I'm in NY now), so I am wondering if because it is so late in the game and they will realize the urgency (I hope), that it may be in a few weeks time.

Anyone have any idea about this?
Reply 14
SEG22
I just applied to a Masters program at LSE and I was wondering how long it would take them to respond. I would have to move to London (I'm in NY now), so I am wondering if because it is so late in the game and they will realize the urgency (I hope), that it may be in a few weeks time.

Anyone have any idea about this?

To start a masters in September/October 2005? No chance! LSE get loads of applications. If you apply now, you might get a place for 2006...
DianneG
ahah..what is your subject area!?

Surface Science

Latest

Trending

Trending