The Student Room Group

Chance encounters and phone numbers

Recently a friend told me how a mate of his was in a packed train once and there was this girl staring at him during the whole journey so when he got off the train he wrote his number on a piece of paper and just quickly said hi and gave her his number. Well a few days later, she called and they're still together.

So obviously my friend wanted to try it in a bar because he was convinced the girl was staring at him... the girl didn't call so as he has the ego the size of a small planet he thought it was impossible the girl wouldn't want to call him back so next time we were in the bar he asked her friends how come she never called. Apparently she had a boyfriend so that reassured him :rolleyes:

Personally I find it a bit creepy but if the circumstances made it really difficult to start a conversation, I might give it a try sometime... Anyway, how would you feel if some guy/girl left you their number like that (without any proper conversation beforehand)?

Scroll to see replies

Someone's done that to be before, cute as f*ck but had no personality!
I dunno, I might find it slightly odd...but if we'd spent time checking each other out then it'd make sense to get a number rather than leaving it. But if it was someone I hadn't even looked at I'd be worried...
Reply 3
I'd be very flattered...maybe even call for the hell of it. Nothing to lose.
I think id be quite flattered :smile:
Reply 5
hahahahaha.i ll try it sometime.lol.what a life experience.hehe
Reply 6
It would be pretty cool, because something could come out of it.
But if they didn't give you their number, you would be thinking "what would have happened if I had talked to them or got their number?"

:smile:
Reply 7
i don't think i'd do it myself, i let the guys do the chasing! lol if a cute guy gave me his number tho i prolly would ring him back, as i wouldnt know anything about him, it would depend on how cute he was and if he had a good dress sence but then again i'd prolly just call/text anyway to be polite.
Reply 8
IZZY!
hahahahaha.i ll try it sometime.lol.what a life experience.hehe

Damn it seems like my friend is right... it actually works sometimes :eek:

Now you're all going to steal my secret technique. :frown:
Reply 9
i think if a guy just randomly gave me his number without any real conversation i'd think him bigheaded and there's no way i'd call

i'd prob be more likely to add a stranger to msn, it's less awkward if you don't know someone and you can block them if they're weird

lou xxx
the height of shallowness (sorry for my mixed metaphors).

MB
Reply 11
Lol I had g uy come into work on day and gve me his friends phone number who had been in earlier (note this day we were all dressed in school uniform) I had no idea who he was so I had to text him to find out but I still don't really have a clue who he is. He also turned out to be about 8 years older than me :/
Reply 12
My friend did that on holiday, twas funny - but with email addresses coz you dont have to deal with the stress of a phone call from a complete randomer.
Reply 13
I'd think he was an arrogant so and so probably, unless he looked really shy and made some kind of "I know this is pitiful" comment before giving me the number. I guess if I really had been staring at him I'd be embarrassed/chuffed at the same time. If I didn't like him I'd just be relieved - no awkward chat up lines and I could just not call him!

Cxx
Reply 14
ciara
I'd think he was an arrogant so and so probably, unless he looked really shy and made some kind of "I know this is pitiful" comment before giving me the number. I guess if I really had been staring at him I'd be embarrassed/chuffed at the same time. If I didn't like him I'd just be relieved - no awkward chat up lines and I could just not call him!

Cxx

But surely it would only be arrogant if you'd barely looked at the guy and he got the idea that you found him incredibly attractive. I have friends like that. They seem to think that all girls are crazy about them as soon as they just get a tiny glance.

You seem to agree it's a good idea. I should have tried this before!
Reply 15
SamTheMan
But surely it would only be arrogant if you'd barely looked at the guy and he got the idea that you found him incredibly attractive. I have friends like that. They seem to think that all girls are crazy about them as soon as they just get a tiny glance.

You seem to agree it's a good idea. I should have tried this before!

Maaaaaybe he just had a load of chocolate round his mouth, or I was just amazed at his uncanny resemblance to erm, Rolf Harris or suchlike. Maybe I was looking at him cos I couldn't believe he'd worn that shirt with that tie.

I know it's rude to stare but I do it all the time, particularly on a boring train journey or whatever. Doesn't have to mean I fancy the person, therefore I would probably think a guy quite arrogant to appear with his number :p: .

(But I'm annoying like that, it's not a bad idea)

Cxx
Reply 16
A guy spoke to me whilst at work and he left his number a few days later for me. I've called him back. God knows whats going 2 happen next!
Reply 17
ciara
Maaaaaybe he just had a load of chocolate round his mouth, or I was just amazed at his uncanny resemblance to erm, Rolf Harris or suchlike. Maybe I was looking at him cos I couldn't believe he'd worn that shirt with that tie.

I know it's rude to stare but I do it all the time, particularly on a boring train journey or whatever. Doesn't have to mean I fancy the person, therefore I would probably think a guy quite arrogant to appear with his number :p: .

(But I'm annoying like that, it's not a bad idea)

Cxx

True but there's staring and there's STARING. If a girl looks at you and you look back and she gives you a smile and shys away from your glance, you start getting ideas... I mean, eyes are probably the most expressive part of our body so there's usually a huge difference between different stares.

But it's true that a lot of the time when I get a stare/smile, I tend to look behind me to see who they're smiling at, or check whether I left my fly open (quite often I have :redface: )
Reply 18
SamTheMan
True but there's staring and there's STARING. If a girl looks at you and you look back and she gives you a smile and shys away from your glance, you start getting ideas... I mean, eyes are probably the most expressive part of our body so there's usually a huge difference between different stares.

But it's true that a lot of the time when I get a stare/smile, I tend to look behind me to see who they're smiling at, or check whether I left my fly open (quite often I have :redface: )

Good good, I wasn't implying you were arrogant, just revealing my own prejudices really. Yeah, I don't do flirtatious staring, I just gawp like a loser :redface: .
Cxx
if I was the one looking at the guy, and he gave me his number, I probably wouldn't ring him.
IF he was the one looking at me, and he gave me his number, I wouldn't ring him.
if we had a conversation, it might be different.

Latest

Trending

Trending