The Student Room Group

St Paul's Girls School (spgs)

i've been accepted there for sixth form and i'm quite excited and everything but i have a couple of questions for people who know girls who go there, or even better used to go there/goes there now:
if you know, is there a lot of difference between SPGS and a normal comprehensive girls school (which i currently go to)
eg, are the girls bitchier, are they snobby?
do they judge people a lot, and if so what do they judge people by?
eg physical appearances, whether they're rich or not?
and anything else you think may be helpful to a to-be-paulina :wink:
thank you in advance!
oh and one thats slightly off topic, do they girls normally take four or five AS levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump?
You've said about a specific school, and I wouldn't expect a great reply. I have done a lot of supply work at different types of schools, state and publics schools as well as public girls schools. Can give you what I saw generally from a public girls school.
Hey! I go to st paul's and i know there are some other girls from there who lurk around TSR. Normally around exam time though, so you might be out of luck... Anyway, I'll try to help! (I'm in the Eighth, though, so I'll be gone by the time you get there I'm afraid :wink: ) -Um, the Eighth is what we call the upper sixth, just in case by some chance you haven't caught on to the super-weird year nomenclature.
Anyway! It's hard to tell you how it's different from a normal comprehensive because SPGS is the only secondary I've been to. So I don't know if the girls are bitchier than normal, but I don't think we're particularly bitchy at all. (I guess I might be biased?)
You won't be judged by how rich you are, or how expensive your clothes are. You *will* be judged on how willing you are to make friends. It's really important to take the initiative, speak up for yourself, don't just hang around with other new girls no matter how tempting it might be. Going by my own year, the girls who settled in best were the ones who made the effort- if you do that people will be more than willing to meet you half way. Don't go in expecting everyone to be bitchy and snobby, because - this is REALLY important - we know you're thinking that, we KNOW what the school's reputation is, and we get quite defensive about it! Keep an open mind and you'll find it's really not that bad.
Academics are probably one area where the school is unusual, I mean with regards to the school culture - there is absolutely no anti-intellectualism, it's not uncool to work hard or to like your work (as long as you're not super-earnest about it and you can laugh at youself). People bitch constantly about how much work they have and moan that they haven't done any of it; as a general rule, they're either being disingenuous and have actually done three hours' worth or they're one of the smart ones who doesn't need to.
Most girls in the seventh seem to start with five ASs and then drop one at some point in the year; doing four isn't unusual and is probably a good idea.

Woah i wrote a serious essay there! It's cause paulinas are self-obsessed. Seriously, though, the boiled-down version is: be open, be friendly, don't worry about us being freak characters straight out of 90210 because we are so, so, so not.
And please feel free to PM me if there's anything else you want to know!
Reply 4
Hi!
I'm rhianna, and i'm in EXACTLY the same position as you. I got into st pauls aswel and i'm probably definetly gonna be going there this september. i guess i'll meet you then! At the moment I go to a private girls school but its not like other private schools, because its not very academic (it takes poeple from every academic ability) and its tiny (about 40 people in my whole year) so as you can imagine st pauls is gonna be VERY different! and i was freaking about it.....
so about last month i decided to try out for another school, just incase i thought i wouldnt be able to cope at spgs, and i went into both schools for a day to try them out. I went into st pauls yesterday for the morning and i really recommend doing it if your nervous (just email them and they will organise for you to come in)

my questions were this:
1) how rich are they/do they wear really expensiveclothes/are they snobby etc
2) is their academic ability wayyyy out my league eg. do they speak seriously poshly with words i dont understand!
3) is there a lot of pressure put on the girls to get the perfect grades from the teachers/a lot of stress

and going in for the day has really soothed my nerves loads so i think i will go to st pauls. the girls were all REALLY friendly and normal, they werent snobby or posh and everyone was just wearing normal clothes, like trackies or jeans and a top, nothing crazy. they were just normal girls and the atmosphere was really calm and kind.

the teachers were all really nice and you can tell its the kind of school that will look after you and help you, like the head of sixth form had made a little timetable and assigned people doing my subjects to hang out with me every period,and she bought me a hot choclate and pain au chocalat and had a chat with me. so cute!

i asked everyone there and they all said they love being at st pauls and its been the best times of their lives, and they all genuinely seem to love the school. like i said it doesnt feel as high pressure as it has a reputation - it just seems like the girls work really hard and are really conciencious with their work.

but honestly, i really recommend to do what i did - just call in and ask to go and spend half a day there, so you can get a better feel for the school and meet some girls for yourself (cos i know that its better to talk to people who are actually there then parents/teachers sometimes), they will be really good about it and it is just SO helpful

sorry i know this is an essay i just know exactly what your going through, im excited to go to spgs to but very nervous! i dont know anyone who is going either...ah!

hope this is helpful, write back if you wanna talk so we might know eachtoher before we start! see you in september xxxx
Reply 5
Come on, we need more SPGS girls!! :smile:
Reply 6
Hey, I'm Nat, I go to SPGS and I'll be in sixth form next year (see you in september!! :biggrin:)

I personally really like the school and although there may be the occasional few that aren't as nice as the others (as there is everywhere) I don't think any of us are really snobby and a lot of us aren't the richest either, nothing to worry about!

Also, when Year 11 SPGS people pick A-levels, our limit is 5 (and only if we will give one up the following year), and most people (including me) pick 4 (to give up one the following year)

There's a running joke (played in the year 13 satire show) that there's a whole issue about snobbishness, going to Oxbridge, etc. The fact that we just make fun of it all the time should prove to you that we're really not like that at all! Of course, if you're still unsure, then come in for half a day like rihannakemi said
I'm new to TSR - kinda typical that my first post is one explaining what my school's like lol
Reply 7
orangey10
Hey, I'm Nat, I go to SPGS and I'll be in sixth form next year (see you in september!! :biggrin:)

I personally really like the school and although there may be the occasional few that aren't as nice as the others (as there is everywhere) I don't think any of us are really snobby and a lot of us aren't the richest either, nothing to worry about!

Also, when Year 11 SPGS people pick A-levels, our limit is 5 (and only if we will give one up the following year), and most people (including me) pick 4 (to give up one the following year)

There's a running joke (played in the year 13 satire show) that there's a whole issue about snobbishness, going to Oxbridge, etc. The fact that we just make fun of it all the time should prove to you that we're really not like that at all! Of course, if you're still unsure, then come in for half a day like rihannakemi said
I'm new to TSR - kinda typical that my first post is one explaining what my school's like lol

Yayy hi :biggrin:
:O Really, most people choose 4?!
Haha, somehow I find that hard to believe :p:
I think I might take 4 as well...I don't know though :/
I want to have a social life :wink:
What A levels are you taking?
Well to be honest even if all the girls were bitchy, it wouldn't have stopped me from going, I'm so psyched!
I can't wait to go and I'm determined to make it the best two years of my life :biggrin:
Thank you for answering :smile::smile: xx
Reply 8
Are offers from St Pauls conditional on ur gcses?
Reply 9
yashi2010
Are offers from St Pauls conditional on ur gcses?

No, the offers are completely unconditional
Bear in mind though we had to first do entrace tests and an interview :smile:
Reply 10
1 question guys.... is it harder to get into st pauls when you request a bursary? Coz I got through the exams and interview and was rejected after my bursary application???
Reply 11
tia450
1 question guys.... is it harder to get into st pauls when you request a bursary? Coz I got through the exams and interview and was rejected after my bursary application???

No it isn't! Well I applied for a bursary as well and after the interview my family was paid a house visit and they asked if they would still accept a place at SPGS without the bursary, to which my mother said yes.
So either your parents said no, or you didn't get through the interview.
I hope I've answered your question fully enough and I'm sorry you didn't get a place.
Reply 12
Mincan
No it isn't! Well I applied for a bursary as well and after the interview my family was paid a house visit and they asked if they would still accept a place at SPGS without the bursary, to which my mother said yes.
So either your parents said no, or you didn't get through the interview.
I hope I've answered your question fully enough and I'm sorry you didn't get a place.

Well we got a house visit too, thanks though :smile:

Will you be paying the full amount then?
Reply 13
tia450
Well we got a house visit too, thanks though :smile:

Will you be paying the full amount then?

Yes I will indeed :o:
Reply 14
lovetheworld
Ok, here's another spgs member on this site, and I'll say honestly what spgs is like.

The great aspects of SPGS:
outstanding teachers
great atmosphere to work in
Therefore an almost guarantee of fantastic grades.

On the other hand, and this saddens and angers me to write, the pressure is immense although Nat (hi Nat!) and mincan do not mention this. There is constant competition which is fine and even motivating sometimes yet absolutely horrible other times.

I suppose in all academic schools there are issues, and our year/school in no exception however much people try to hide it. In our year alone, there are three/four with eating disorders, a couple of girls hooked on drugs and numerous other problems. To be fair, many are not school-induced, yet on the other hand quite a few are under great peer pressure to be say, skinny or "cool".

And yes, people will judge you on what you wear. Without a doubt, after all SPGS is a private girls school! There are usually two divides in every year here, the "sad" people and the "cool" people with a few people drifting in between. Obviously, the "cool" people can be very cruel and bitchy. It is sometimes hard to be confident when others constantly knock at you.

Personally, I am unhappy here :frown: but have honestly tried my best to write in from a neutral opinion with good and bad points.

I can't wait for the next two years to hopefully fly by so I can forget about the past and the nastiness of many of the girls here.

Oh no, I'm not at the school yet, I will be though next year!
I'm sad that you're unhappy, why don't you change schools? :frown:
But thank you, I think I needed this, like the negative points as well as the positive.
Reply 15
lovetheworld
Ok, here's another spgs member on this site, and I'll say honestly what spgs is like.

The great aspects of SPGS:
outstanding teachers
great atmosphere to work in
Therefore an almost guarantee of fantastic grades.

On the other hand, and this saddens and angers me to write, the pressure is immense although Nat (hi Nat!) and mincan do not mention this. There is constant competition which is fine and even motivating sometimes yet absolutely horrible other times.

I suppose in all academic schools there are issues, and our year/school in no exception however much people try to hide it. In our year alone, there are three/four with eating disorders, a couple of girls hooked on drugs and numerous other problems. To be fair, many are not school-induced, yet on the other hand quite a few are under great peer pressure to be say, skinny or "cool".

And yes, people will judge you on what you wear. Without a doubt, after all SPGS is a private girls school! There are usually two divides in every year here, the "sad" people and the "cool" people with a few people drifting in between. Obviously, the "cool" people can be very cruel and bitchy. It is sometimes hard to be confident when others constantly knock at you.

Personally, I am unhappy here :frown: but have honestly tried my best to write in from a neutral opinion with good and bad points.

I can't wait for the next two years to hopefully fly by so I can forget about the past and the nastiness of many of the girls here.

Thanks a lot for your opinion! It's really interesting to know both points of view. Personally I go to a public girl's school and tbh there's always going to be that element of 'bitchiness'.

I hope that things will improve, or even maybe you could change school?

Thanks again for your post :smile:
Reply 16
@Mincan Yeah, minimum you can pick at Year 12 is 4 (down to 3 the next year) and max is 5 (down to 4 the next year). A lot of people in my year have picked 5 for the moment just cos they can't choose, but that's because they have the choice the first 2 weeks (or something like that) of the year to give up one, take up another, etc.

@lovetheworld who are you? D= Sorry, but I am feeling particularly dense today... I won't argue with what you've said, because I've had to put up with my share of pressures since Year 7 - but I feel there are ways to cope with it and therefore I don't think I've been beaten by them. And there's always the argument that the cruel and bitchy people are never cool! (to put my 'motivational quote' there....) See you on Tuesday!

@new entrants I want to get to know you guys a touch more. So .... why do you want to change schools/why SPGS?

And while I'm in the answering mood, anything more you guys'd like to ask? Like which teachers to avoid (sucks if they're the only teacher in the department, but w/e), etc....? =D
Reply 17
Hey all,

I'd heard about some new 6th popping up on TSR so I thought I'd butt in :wink:. I'm Hallie. HI NAT!

Basically I'm one of those people that loves the school very much and end up passionatley defending it (in all areas except the new administration and Miss Stalin - ewww). I really can't imagine being anywhere else or wanting to leave. I know it's not that way for everyone though. I'll try and add my little opinion to stuff other people have said...

The work! Haaa I remember back in year 6 all the junior school mothers insisting that we die of stress and spend our existence shaking in classrooms popping anti-depressants as the only food we ever eat...NOT like that!

Basically, if you don't want to work, you don't have to (though I'm sure this changes with AS's and the fact that you like what you're doing). It depends on your teacher, but it's hard to get really in trouble for not working as long as you sort of keep up appearances with the occasional homework and don't skip lessons. Compared to other schools I hear about, we have very few rules. But on the flip side, people are motivated to do well (no matter how many times you hear 'what was the homework? Oh well I'm not gonna do it', you will never hear 'I just won't revise for my GCSE and get a C' uttered in earnest) and in my experience people like to seem intelligent, particularly in a witty or observant way - you want to sound articulate, know what's going on in the world etc. It's certainly not considered uncool or nerdy to do well. What is considered bad form is to be overly competitive (at least openly :wink:) or be constantly going on and on about work. Everyone seems to find the level of work they're comfortable with and be able to do well on that. And if teachers think you're 'struggling' and not just slacking, they will make an effort to help you out, and will always pay attention if you ask them for help.

Which brings me on to the teachers, because I have to say that they're awesome. They love their subject and they're total characters most of them. The relationship between them and the students in the sixth form particularly is great.

Clothes! OK need to admit something - I do notice what people wear. If I think someone is dressing in a particularly bad way, I will notice it. What I won't do is think any worse of them as an individual for it or treat them differently. I think it's an important distinction. There definitely isn't a culture of having to wear expensive clothes at all, which I think someone mentioned. It's nice to look nice, but seriously you're thought worse of if you insist on wearing designer stuff all the time just to prove a point - that's why basically no one does this :biggrin:

Are we bitchy? In my fairly limited experience derived from what I hear/know about other schools, we're better, but that doesn't mean it's all rainbows. We're teenage girls. But in my experience of the year at least, everyone's got friends who look out for them, and everyone's nice to other people wherever you may come across them - queues, lockers, lessons blah blah. There is NOT that ridiculous US high school movie style thing where people roam the hallways glaring at underlings. Don't expect that at all. That doesn't mean we don't conceal the occasional bitchy resentment, but really, it's not a bad atmosphere at all.

God I'm writing a lot. Sorry.

So my advice to anyone...as was mentinoned above - be nice and friendly! And a big thing I'd say is, don't be quick to stereotype people as 'Paulina' or 'typical private-school girl' or whatever. People can surprise you!

So, look forward to meeting you guys!
Reply 18
orangey10
@Mincan Yeah, minimum you can pick at Year 12 is 4 (down to 3 the next year) and max is 5 (down to 4 the next year). A lot of people in my year have picked 5 for the moment just cos they can't choose, but that's because they have the choice the first 2 weeks (or something like that) of the year to give up one, take up another, etc.

@lovetheworld who are you? D= Sorry, but I am feeling particularly dense today... I won't argue with what you've said, because I've had to put up with my share of pressures since Year 7 - but I feel there are ways to cope with it and therefore I don't think I've been beaten by them. And there's always the argument that the cruel and bitchy people are never cool! (to put my 'motivational quote' there....) See you on Tuesday!

@new entrants I want to get to know you guys a touch more. So .... why do you want to change schools/why SPGS?

And while I'm in the answering mood, anything more you guys'd like to ask? Like which teachers to avoid (sucks if they're the only teacher in the department, but w/e), etc....? =D

Sorry I think I may have forgotten to answer :colondollar: I'm moving because I want to meet new people and ya'know London's always cool :wink: Plus I've realised that I actually enjoy being in a girls' school; I can do things I would never even dream about in a mixed school :p: And obviously the fact that SPGS is such a good school is a factor :smile: And yeah, tell me more about the teachers! I'm going to be doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics, French and either Physics or German :love: Thanks! Mincan
Reply 19
Maths/Further Maths: Department's great, especially since Miss Darwin's going on maternity leave :biggrin:
Economics: One guy department called Mr Turner, he seems nice if you like his subject (we don't do economics before a-level, so he'll treat all you guys equally in terms of liking his subject)
French: I have to say I haven't done French since Year 9 ... I think Hallie does it though, I'll ask her =P
Physics: If you like the subject, you'll love the teachers. Dr Slaski is a bit of a legend (aka the Slaskinator) who drops innuendos that *could* have been because he's bad at English ALL THE TIME and Dr Lee is ridiculously tall and crazy in a good way.
German: YAY I'm taking German - we seem to be getting most of the teachers in the department. Frau Barth (language/grammar) I personally like though she seems to bear a grudge against slackers; Frau Frank/Barker (...I'm not sure) - stern but I think she grows on you; Frau Alice (conversation) is the best teacher I've ever had but she's actually insane; Frau Boothman (literature) - apparently a bit boring, but ah well. Literature.

Coming to the induction day on the 25th? =D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending