The Student Room Group

University of Manchester or Leeds?

I've got offers to do BA Economics at Manchester (ABB) and to do BA Economics and French at Leeds (ABC with Access to Leeds). I also got ABB from Sheffield but I'm not set on going there. I've been rejected from Bristol and Warwick and have A*AA predicted in French, Maths and Economics respectively. I've got several good points and bad points for both unis.

Manchester:
Pros:
-Solid Red Brick with a good reputation
-Legendary nightlife
-Easier course and you choose modules
-Accomodation location is more practical, i.e. in the student dominated area of Fallowfield
-Closer to home
Cons:
-Manchester doesn't rank highly in league tables

Leeds
Pros:
-Good social scene and a good union
-I can continue with my French, however I only want to be able to speak it and don't care for the history of France at all. I'm thinking about taking a year out in France after graduating.
Cons:
-Further from home
-Accomodation, i.e. Boddington is very far out. I want to stay somewhere self catered and with shared facilites to keep costs down.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me? About Leeds + Manchester as unis/campuses and cities? Or about the courses?
Will Rep :wink:

Edit: At Leeds I'll get an annual scholarship of £3000, and at Manchester it will be somewhere around £2000, not including government support.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ollie20
I've got offers to do BA Economics at Manchester (ABB) and to do BA Economics and French at Leeds (ABC with Access to Leeds). I also got ABB from Sheffield but I'm not set on going there. I've been rejected from Bristol and Warwick and have A*AA predicted in French, Maths and Economics respectively. I've got several good points and bad points for both unis.

Manchester:
Pros:
-Legendary nightlife
-Accomodation location is more practical, i.e. in the student dominated area of Fallowfield
-Closer to home
Cons:

Leeds
Pros:
-I can continue with my French, however I only want to be able to speak it and don't care for the history of France at all. I'm thinking about taking a year out in France after graduating.
Cons:
-Further from home
-Accomodation, i.e. Boddington is very far out. I want to stay somewhere self catered and with shared facilites to keep costs down.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me? About Leeds + Manchester as unis/campuses and cities? Or about the courses?

Isn't manchester uni very respected for economics ? and the uni overall reputation is quite high too?
Reply 2
andy12691
Isn't manchester uni very respected for economics ? and the uni overall reputation is quite high too?

It's the 20s for Economics I think, Leeds is about the same. Manchester does come stupidly high in international rankings though.
Reply 3
Manchester.

I've studied at Leeds and didn't think much of it.
Reply 4
Benji84
Manchester.

I've studied at Leeds and didn't think much of it.

what were the bad points?
Reply 5
Ollie20
It's the 20s for Economics I think, Leeds is about the same. Manchester does come stupidly high in international rankings though.

I hope someone with better knowledge will help you. But Manchester would be an obvious choice for me if I had to choose.
It's higher in 'most of' the ranking systems, better well-known, and one of the most targeted unis by employers. Plus, the city and student life is awesome as what my friends told me lmao :biggrin:
I know someone who couldn't choose between Manchester and Leeds for Economics either, he decided to choose Manchester and he's LOVING IT and is so glad he chose it over Leeds!

They are both good universities but I'd say the University of Manchester is more prestigious and has more of a rep internationally.

I may be a bit biased though, I loved Manchester and not so much Leeds when I visited :/

Have you considered the job side of it? Which university has a higher rate of graduates getting jobs after?

(I'm betting it's Manchester, ahah)
Why don't you take a gap year when you get your grades? Applying with grades A*AA already achieved would put you in a good position for the top Unis for Economics, along with other things such as GCSEs.
Reply 8
Ollie20

Manchester:
Pros:
-Legendary nightlife
-Closer to home
Cons:

Leeds
Pros:
Cons:
-Further from home

Edit: At Leeds I'll get an annual scholarship of £3000, and at Manchester it will be somewhere around £2000, not including government support.

i) Manchester and Leeds have a similar reputation for Economics.
ii) Manchester on average earn ( 23k) to Leeds on average once graduated earn ( 21K).
iii) Manchester has been the top of the league table "for targeted employment" for two years running above the likes of oxbridge etc.
iv) Leeds does have a very good union, but is that such a big deal?
v) League tables count for nothing.

Considering your prefence on Geographical considerations also, I personally would opt for Manchester University.
Why did you opt for the BA instead of the BSc.
If you did manage to get A*AA I would seriously advise for you to reconsider going to Manchester or Leeds. ( Would do Further Maths A level on gap year ).
What are your GCSEs like?
I study Economics at Manchester University, and so far its really good. Ba Economics at Manchester is really flexible, you can choose modules from Politics, Criminolgy etc if you want to. Overall ,they have a really good reputation and the department is very strong.
Any more questions, feel free to ask..
Reply 10
lost in the rain
I study Economics at Manchester University, and so far its really good. Ba Economics at Manchester is really flexible, you can choose modules from Politics, Criminolgy etc if you want to. Overall ,they have a really good reputation and the department is very strong.

Why is it better than Leeds?
Reply 11
Maturity

What are your GCSEs like?

6A*'s and 4A's.
The thing with higher ranked unis, is that I don't want to focus solely on the academic side and let the social side of university to suffer.

lost in the rain

Are you able to choose modules in history?
I just find it more prestigious, and its really good if you want to do postgraduate, because thats what they are good at and famous for. Alot of funding goes into phd research etc. Having said that both Leeds and Manchester Uni are in the russell group.
Reply 13
Ollie20
6A*'s and 4A's.
The thing with higher ranked unis, is that I don't want to focus solely on the academic side and let the social side of university to suffer.

Are you able to choose modules in history?

You applied to Warwick, what kind of social aspect were you expecting to get there?
I don't want to sound like a dick, but I believe if you get AAA+ you should seriously think about applying to TAELT 11 after a gap year bar Bristol and Warwick.
Bristol are seriously weird when it comes to applications.
Warwick is obviously ultra competitive.
I believed you could have got into the likes of Notts if you applied.
Again no offence but why apply to three (back ups).
Why apply to sheff if you don't want to go there?
Why BA?
For the first year, you have to do a total of 120 credits, some modules are 10 and some are 20. You have to study the core economics modules- Macroeconomics and Microeconmics and importantly the maths (total of 60). Minusing that you have a list of various modules to make up the 120. Yes, i believe History is on the list.
Going to Manchester is not all about studying and revising.You work hard and also party hard. Having been born and bred in Manchester,believe me your social side will not suffer.
Reply 15
I have to say Manchester because my dad works there and my cousin says its great
Reply 16
Maturity
You applied to Warwick, what kind of social aspect were you expecting to get there?

Looking back on it, I applied to Warwick to fill a gap on my form and if i knew that Nottingham did Economics with French then I'd have applied there, but some of the accomodation, i thought was a bit shabby.
Maturity
Why apply to sheff if you don't want to go there?

Again, just to fill up a space on UCAS really, although I did visit the University with my school and thought it looked really nice.
Maturity
Why BA?

When I was applying, I was told that the end grade is ultimately what is more significant and content wise, a BA isn't as difficult as a BSC. Also, C4 at the moment is really hard and my UMS score in S1 was shocking, I'm not very good at stats, which doesn't sit well with the econometric modules of a BSC
lost in the rain
For the first year, you have to do a total of 120 credits, some modules are 10 and some are 20. You have to study the core economics modules- Macroeconomics and Microeconmics and importantly the maths (total of 60). Minusing that you have a list of various modules to make up the 120. Yes, i believe History is on the list.
Going to Manchester is not all about studying and revising.You work hard and also party hard. Having been born and bred in Manchester,believe me your social side will not suffer.

Does the first year count towards your final mark?
What do you think of the level of teaching? Because student satisfaction doesn't rate very highly for it.
Reply 17
sandeep90
Why don't you take a gap year when you get your grades? Applying with grades A*AA already achieved would put you in a good position for the top Unis for Economics, along with other things such as GCSEs.

I know that if take a gap year I'll never get back into education :/
The first year doesnt count towards your final mark, you just need 40% in each exam to pass and go to second year. The teaching is good, but i won't rank it that high. Like with most univesities/college you get some lecturers who are boring and teach you the minimum. But in most situations the lecturers are helpful and passionate about what they teach. University life mostly consists of reading and do it yourself. Looking at your grades, im sure you wont any problems motivating yourself.
Ollie20

Manchester:
Pros:
-Legendary nightlife
-Closer to home
Cons:

Leeds
Pros:
Cons:
-Further from home

With regards to Leeds, the rest of the halls are a lot nearer than Boddington (with perhaps the exception of Clarence Dock) and there are plenty of options for going self catered & shared facilities

Latest

Trending

Trending