The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Scroll to see replies

cakel
I would be laughing after getting rejected. they can shove there degree if they cant even organise a simple interview correctly. My friend goes there and she has been messed about by lecturers and the university system as a whole so many times.

/facepalm

And Solent is a pretty average uni to be honest, some courses are a bit crap, but some are very good, It's ******* excelent for the course I'm taking, there's only about 4 or 5 unis that do it, and they've spent millions on the studios we use, all our lecturers know what they're talking about.

Southampton uni students, in my experience, all seem to be stuck up pricks, as this thread would suggest, the type of people who think if you're not doing a degree in maths/science then you're not worth your weight in plastic mud.

So everyone quit your bitching.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 41
gbduo
Meh, Warsash is sooooooo far out of the SU in Solent that hardly anyone goes to it, Southampton is the other side of Southampton so even less likely that anyone would go to that either, despite its obvious attractions.

We normally just go out on the town in So'ton or Pompey. Cheap as normally anyway.

I doubt you will have time for clubs!

fair game
Reply 42
gbduo
Cool. :biggrin:

fingers crossed I will be going to warsash too, bonus points if you guess who this is graham :P x
Reply 43
SanitaryTowel
/facepalm

And Solent is a pretty average uni to be honest, some courses are a bit crap, but some are very good, It's ******* excelent for the course I'm taking, there's only about 4 or 5 unis that do it, and they've spent millions on the studios we use, all our lecturers know what they're talking about.

Southampton uni students, in my experience, all seem to be stuck up pricks, as this thread would suggest, the type of people who think if you're not doing a degree in maths/science then you're not worth your weight in plastic mud.

So everyone quit your bitching.

People aren't bitching, they are going by the league tables. It may be good for your course, but that's a rarity.

This is a screen shot comparing the two from the Times Online.

That's out of 114 uni's btw...
League tables mean very little when talking about specific courses, The only place that could rival Solent for my course would probably be Plymouth, you cant base your decision on a league table, you need to go meet the staff and students.

Also, all Southampton students treat at solent students like they're scum, I'd hate to go anywhere with people like that.
Reply 45
sammyjh3
fingers crossed I will be going to warsash too, bonus points if you guess who this is graham :P x

Haha! I wonder! :biggrin:
Reply 46
Not being funny but somewhere like Solent isn't going to be high on any league tables which is why it's so easy to get into.
Solent is awesome - http://www.solent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/comedy_writing_and_performance_ba/course_details.aspx

But don't expect them to be organised and customer focused...they're the same as any uni when it comes to organisation. Organising academics is on a par with herding cats - it's never going to be slick.
Reply 48
KateRosie
I had a similar experience with Plymouth Uni. Waited around for 5 hours for a 30 minute interview. The interview was one on one but the man was so rude and wouldn't even look at half the work in my portfolio and it only lasted about 10 minutes. He didn't even show me out and expected me to find my way out of a building which I wasn't familiar with. After that the Uni went from 1st choice to last choice and needless to say I wasn't offered a place. Some Universities are so up themselves it's unbelievable. But Yeh, it really was a blessing in disguise!

Should have gone to PCAD :shifty:
Reply 49
anyone know what the night lifes like in Southampton?
Reply 50
Good, ish.
Reply 51
ish? lol ok
I read in a facebook group called "rather be at Solent than a ***t" that a lot of Solent students write that their degrees were from "Southampton University" in their CV so that people think they went to the University of Southampton rather than admit they went to Solent... That says something even if the league tables are squiffy.
Reply 53
I dunno why some people who aren't even from a Southampton based uni are posting in here...

I've had no problems with Solent, in fact I've had an amazing time here. I can see why it gets a bad rap and there are some courses that are questionable but at the end of the day you're going to get people who want to do these courses that aren't offered anywhere else.

I'm sorry to hear about your interview problem but from what I know you're just an unfortunate one-off. Doesn't make it excusable though. My interview went really well, was really organised and on time etc.

I agree with the guy that recently posted about Solent offering the best course for him and that he would have to go to Plymouth to find a course to rival it. I'm guessing from his post he's either doing a media/music and I have to agree the lecturers, equipment and resources for these courses are amazing.
Reply 54
Solent University is awesome, I graduated from there - and me and all of my friends had a fantastic time.

Just because you went to an interview there and there was a mistake, should not skewe your perception of Solent.

Solent is still a relatively new University, it was a higher academic institution before.

As for Southampton Uni, I have many friends who went there and they said it was relatively average. A lot of students there are from very wealthy backgrounds, private school education and from the middle upper to upper classes.

As for research, the reason why Solent still hasn't got much recognized research is because along with many other University's it has been ESRC recognized, which is the council which provides additional funding for research.

Poor organizational skills are inherent within education, I'm currently at a very high rating University and the organizational skills are lacking.

At the end of the day, Solent is a contemporary University. They have funded millions in to state of the art music studios - have highly qualified and experienced lecturers.

The library has just been refurbished and a substantial increase in resources.

The Uni also has great partnerships with local businesses/ public services and organizations.

I had a fantastic time there, and have been around Southampton Uni many a time - admittedly their Union is very good, but it's just a bar to be fair with a small hall for bands.

They are two completely different Uni's. Southampton offer more scientifical based degrees i.e - geography, medical sciences etc. And Solent offer more arts & humanities - music, tv production, business degrees, social sciences.

Two different Uni's I know the one I prefer.
Reply 55
What did you study at Solent?
Reply 56
Whoever you are Payno - couldn't have put it better myself.

I've just finished my first year at Solent and I have loved it. Not just the student life, but the course and university itself. When there are two universities in the same city and one is considerably higher up on league tables, there is obviously going to be rivalry and the higher uni is always going to tell people they are better and that the lower uni is ****.

If you see a course at Solent you like and you like the city itself then the university's ranking shouldn't be an issue. It wasn't for me, and I'm not a dumb person, I got the grades to get into 'better' universities but still chose Solent over them. I'm sick of students from the other uni going on about how Solent is **** and how a degree from there means nothing, bore the **** off. It's down to the individual which university they choose, if Solent was that bad it wouldn't still exist would it. I'm doing a journalism course which is NCTJ accredited - something that equals practically every journalism degree in the country.

The uni is modern and contemporary - not ****. This one experience of an interview gone wrong is in no way plausible to slate the whole university, admin errors can happen at any university. University of Southampton students need to stop acting like they are above Solent students and stop wasting their time slating us.

If you like the look of a Solent course, go for it. If an employer wants you to have a degree, they're not always going to nitpick and look at what university you gained that degree at. As much as the other uni's students will disagree, getting good grades from Solent will still show an employer that you are smart enough to study at degree level and gain a good pass mark from it.
Reply 57
cj4

I've just finished my first year at Solent and I have loved it. Not just the student life, but the course and university itself. When there are two universities in the same city and one is considerably higher up on league tables, there is obviously going to be rivalry and the higher uni is always going to tell people they are better and that the lower uni is ****.

If you see a course at Solent you like and you like the city itself then the university's ranking shouldn't be an issue. It wasn't for me, and I'm not a dumb person, I got the grades to get into 'better' universities but still chose Solent over them. I'm sick of students from the other uni going on about how Solent is **** and how a degree from there means nothing, bore the **** off. It's down to the individual which university they choose, if Solent was that bad it wouldn't still exist would it. I'm doing a journalism course which is NCTJ accredited - something that equals practically every journalism degree in the country.

The uni is modern and contemporary - not ****. This one experience of an interview gone wrong is in no way plausible to slate the whole university, admin errors can happen at any university. University of Southampton students need to stop acting like they are above Solent students and stop wasting their time slating us.

If you like the look of a Solent course, go for it. If an employer wants you to have a degree, they're not always going to nitpick and look at what university you gained that degree at. As much as the other uni's students will disagree, getting good grades from Solent will still show an employer that you are smart enough to study at degree level and gain a good pass mark from it.

Payno
Solent University is awesome, I graduated from there - and me and all of my friends had a fantastic time.

Just because you went to an interview there and there was a mistake, should not skewe your perception of Solent.

Solent is still a relatively new University, it was a higher academic institution before.

As for Southampton Uni, I have many friends who went there and they said it was relatively average. A lot of students there are from very wealthy backgrounds, private school education and from the middle upper to upper classes.

As for research, the reason why Solent still hasn't got much recognized research is because along with many other University's it has been ESRC recognized, which is the council which provides additional funding for research.

Poor organizational skills are inherent within education, I'm currently at a very high rating University and the organizational skills are lacking.

At the end of the day, Solent is a contemporary University. They have funded millions in to state of the art music studios - have highly qualified and experienced lecturers.

The library has just been refurbished and a substantial increase in resources.

The Uni also has great partnerships with local businesses/ public services and organizations.

I had a fantastic time there, and have been around Southampton Uni many a time - admittedly their Union is very good, but it's just a bar to be fair with a small hall for bands.

They are two completely different Uni's. Southampton offer more scientifical based degrees i.e - geography, medical sciences etc. And Solent offer more arts & humanities - music, tv production, business degrees, social sciences.

Two different Uni's I know the one I prefer.

Thanks you guys, I applied,got accepted and I firmed,before I found out recently that Solent is at the bottom of the league & the negative stuff right , I was kinda scared I made a big mistake

anyway Im a hard worker, I work hard to get the grades no matter the level of the university
Reply 58
cj4

Haha, Thank you.

I had the best time of my life there, I came out with a really good degree and I developed as a person.

League table positions are no substitute for a University that you enjoy and that appeals to you :smile:
Reply 59
If all goes to plan I should be starting a Journalism degree at Solent in September but all of this criticism has made me doubt my choice. I also got offers from Portsmouth, Lincoln and De Montfort. Eeeeeep!

Latest

Trending

Trending