The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Southampton Solent University

First of all, I would like to say that I did hear negative feedback about the uni before I applied but I decided to give the uni a chance. So I apply and they ask me for an interview. Me and my dad travel 3 hours to the uni only to find out that they had our interview date wrong and they even put me down for the wrong course! So we ask if we can see anyone now since we had travelled a long way and they say no. They then finally say that there is another fashion photography portfolio viewing at 2 that day (it was 10am at the time). So we waited hours for this interview, sitting around doing nothing, we weren't allowed to go anywhere and it pouring with rain outside. People were rude, I even had this man tellling me how awful the university was and how the people were arrogant and that I shouldn't go here. Anyway, the time finally comes, and guess what? We don't get a one on one interview. They don't even see you. We were asked to leave our portfolios on the tables, leave the room and come back an hour and a half later. We wait around for ages again, come back very annoyed since I was expecting a personal interview. But we were positive, maybe they might give feedback when we return. They were 25 minutes late, we all had to wait outside for this long until they finally tell us to come in. We sit down all comfortable, and they tell us to go!! That's it. The whole interview. They took one hour and a half to go through 18 portfolios when it wouldn't have been much longer to go through them individually. There were enough of them there to do this!! We were so annoyed!!! And guess what.. I didn't even get accepted, they bloody declined me.

I think this really shows how utterly rubbish this really university is.:mad:

AGREE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tasha.Marshall
First of all, I would like to say that I did hear negative feedback about the uni before I applied but I decided to give the uni a chance. So I apply and they ask me for an interview. Me and my dad travel 3 hours to the uni only to find out that they had our interview date wrong and they even put me down for the wrong course! So we ask if we can see anyone now since we had travelled a long way and they say no. They then finally say that there is another fashion photography portfolio viewing at 2 that day (it was 10am at the time). So we waited hours for this interview, sitting around doing nothing, we weren't allowed to go anywhere and it pouring with rain outside. People were rude, I even had this man tellling me how awful the university was and how the people were arrogant and that I shouldn't go here. Anyway, the time finally comes, and guess what? We don't get a one on one interview. They don't even see you. We were asked to leave our portfolios on the tables, leave the room and come back an hour and a half later. We wait around for ages again, come back very annoyed since I was expecting a personal interview. But we were positive, maybe they might give feedback when we return. They were 25 minutes late, we all had to wait outside for this long until they finally tell us to come in. We sit down all comfortable, and they tell us to go!! That's it. The whole interview. They took one hour and a half to go through 18 portfolios when it wouldn't have been much longer to go through them individually. There were enough of them there to do this!! We were so annoyed!!! And guess what.. I didn't even get accepted, they bloody declined me.

AGREE?

is it a coincedence you only posted this after you got rejected?
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 2
thats pretty ****. :frown:
Reply 3
Aren't you glad you got declined, after all that?
Southampton Solent university has the nerve to demand interviews?!
Reply 5
WEB

:ditto:

Bitter OP is bitter.
Reply 6
Tasha.Marshall

AGREE?

Sounds rubbish to me. Hopefully you will go somewhere better
:console:
Reply 8
I am part of Solent, but I go to Warsash Maritime Academy so we are merely affiliated thank god, and I gotta say, I completely agree, Solent is a load of **** with really bad mickey mouse degrees! Go to the real University in Southampton.
Reply 9
Quite a few universities make you leave your portfolio in a room with a few other students, so that they can look through it whilst you go on a campus tour. Thats not unusual at all. OK so they were wrong about the confusion in date, but the process wasn't wrong. I had an interview at UCA recently and we waited 2 hours to be seen by the man. I personally think you are just a bit bitter about the rejection.
WEB

The plot thickens.... :holmes:
:console: That sounds really crap. On the plus side, at least you know how rubbish it is now, and that you're not going there. You'll get into somewhere better, don't worry.
sounds like a blessing in disguise to me..
Ohhh. You see I thought you were going to mention the fact that it's an ex-6th form college with very few serious degrees. And at over 100 places behind the real university in Southampton, is it actually deserving of the title "University"?
Reply 14
vertigo.0012
The plot thickens.... :holmes:

if you dont mind me asking, when did you get your soton rejection? and was it by post/track? thanks :smile:
It's not a very good situation, but if you didn't like the place it doesn't matter that you got rejected anyway.
Reply 16
Yeah it sucks, I have to walk past it to get to town and all the students I've seen seem really miserable. Compared to Southampton the proper one, which seems really nice, it's a dump.
Yes Solent is rubish. I live in southampton and it had a TERRIBLE reputation, everyone I know who goes there hates it and it's kind in rubish places all over the city. Southamton as a place is quite nice and the university of southampton is really good but Solent is awful - I agree, it shouldn't be a uni! I think your lucky you've been rejected to be perfectly honest, and i'm sure they are the ones missing out!
WEB
if you dont mind me asking, when did you get your soton rejection? and was it by post/track? thanks :smile:

Yesterday by Track, around 4 in the afternoon :smile:
Reply 19
vertigo.0012
Yesterday by Track, around 4 in the afternoon :smile:

sorry to hear that mate, good luck with the rest of your application

Latest

Trending

Trending