The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Scroll to see replies

I went to Solent Uni when it was Southampton Institute (I graduated 15 years ago!). It had some problems-they'd taken on too many students being the main problem on my course (Social Science). However, I found the standard of teaching pretty good, and the library was excellent and in my final year they'd opened the main library they still use now, and was much better resourced for my course than the Hartley library at Soton Uni. I think they were very proactive with IT as well for the time. I was on the receiving end of some fairly superior behaviour by Soton uni students which I felt was unnecessary.
I am starting an MSc in Social Work at Soton Uni in October and although academically it has an excellent reputation and was thrilled to get a place, the place has an old fashioned feel to it, and not just because it is a trad uni.
Basically go with the uni/institution that suits you, and is best for your course.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 61
Southampton solent university is really really good
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 62
loman
Southampton solent university is really really rubbish.Most of lecturers if not all are not qualified and their teaching standard is not good at all.If you walking by to university and you would meet people asking you whether you going to real University (Southampton university) or to fake university(Southampton solent university) it is hard to reply and it is true Southampton Solent university should be called Training camp not university.It is known to be fake and no employer would be excited to employ a student from this little family run business so called University. I wold recommand any one not to go to this university is such ......I do not know.

Oh dear.
Reply 63
loman
Southampton solent university is really really rubbish.Most of lecturers if not all are not qualified and their teaching standard is not good at all.If you walking by to university and you would meet people asking you whether you going to real University (Southampton university) or to fake university(Southampton solent university) it is hard to reply and it is true Southampton Solent university should be called Training camp not university.It is known to be fake and no employer would be excited to employ a student from this little family run business so called University. I wold recommand any one not to go to this university is such ......I do not know.

yeah man i know what you mean its a fake university definitely i mean the government would really let that happen.
Reply 64
I think you're all very bias and have a view on something that you actually know nothing about. I go to Solent, I have never met a rude member of staff and I know that it is certainly not a dump. Yes it is smaller, but I have friends who go to Southampton uni, and I can tell you that they're not exactly having the time of they're lives. And to say that they "look miserable" ha! That's just ridiculous. I love it here. I also love how people are saying you were lucky to get rejected... it's not exactly hard to get in.
Reply 65
neg rep them........that should teach them a lesson
Reply 66
Are you guys freshers by any chance?
Ahhh shut up. Leave people alone. If they want to go Solent, let them. Not everyone has the academic background to get into Southampton University. Some just might not WANT to go? I want to go to Solent. The only thing putting me off is elitist prats from Southampton Uni giving me a hard time. It's just really childish.
Reply 68
Original post by chlobofro
Ahhh shut up. Leave people alone. If they want to go Solent, let them. Not everyone has the academic background to get into Southampton University. Some just might not WANT to go? I want to go to Solent. The only thing putting me off is elitist prats from Southampton Uni giving me a hard time. It's just really childish.

I think it depends. They have a rep for letting anyone in and if you're paying £3000 a\ year you want a good education (even more if the fees go up!!). Obviously some people will love it and it will be a good uni for them but for everyone in southampton it is a bit of a joke university tbh. I personally know someone who used to work there and said the organisation/teaching etc was actually quite shocking.
Original post by 22KT22
I think it depends. They have a rep for letting anyone in and if you're paying £3000 a\ year you want a good education (even more if the fees go up!!). Obviously some people will love it and it will be a good uni for them but for everyone in southampton it is a bit of a joke university tbh. I personally know someone who used to work there and said the organisation/teaching etc was actually quite shocking.

If it's something you want to do and you get a degree and the relevant experience, there is nothing wrong with it. :smile: In the eyes of most of TSR, if you don't go to any of the top 20 uni's, you may as well give up. SIGH.
Reply 70
If it's something you want to do and you get a degree and the relevant experience, there is nothing wrong with it. :smile: In the eyes of most of TSR, if you don't go to any of the top 20 uni's, you may as well give up. SIGH.

I completely agree with you, for some people it's the best opportunity and everyone can make the best out of the worst if they try. (I'm at a uni which most would consider a bad uni but for my course it's good and its where I'm happy :smile:)
Original post by 22KT22
I completely agree with you, for some people it's the best opportunity and everyone can make the best out of the worst if they try. (I'm at a uni which most would consider a bad uni but for my course it's good and its where I'm happy :smile:)

Oooh where do you go? :smile:
See that's my point. I'd be unhappy at one of those top uni's.
Reply 72
Original post by 22KT22

To be fair, the organisation is what makes solent a bad uni, I don't find the teaching bad but the organisation/teacher communication is awful.
Reply 73
Oooh where do you go? :smile:
See that's my point. I'd be unhappy at one of those top uni's.

University of Cumbria (its a very new uni, which was formed from former teaching colleges).

Clo-clo: Organisation is bad at most unis tbh although not to the same degree.
I wish I read this thread before applying to solent...Hopefully my other choices will give me offers :/
Reply 75
Original post by Becksty
I think you're all very bias and have a view on something that you actually know nothing about. I go to Solent, I have never met a rude member of staff and I know that it is certainly not a dump. Yes it is smaller, but I have friends who go to Southampton uni, and I can tell you that they're not exactly having the time of they're lives. And to say that they "look miserable" ha! That's just ridiculous. I love it here. I also love how people are saying you were lucky to get rejected... it's not exactly hard to get in.

I have no problem with Solent, but don't make things up. I've been to SOTON twice now and the students there are all really happy, very friendly people. Some people are going to like Solent/SOTON, some are not, but don't generalise.

I don't like students mocking the 'lower' universities. The idea makes me feel sick, put yourself in their place. It would make me feel really low and worth nothing. I know a friend who goes to a poly university who was offered a place at Oxford.

EDIT: Just realised this is an old thread! :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by RobertWhite

Original post by RobertWhite
I have no problem with Solent, but don't make things up. I've been to SOTON twice now and the students there are all really happy, very friendly people. Some people are going to like Solent/SOTON, some are not, but don't generalise.

I don't like students mocking the 'lower' universities. The idea makes me feel sick, put yourself in their place. It would make me feel really low and worth nothing. I know a friend who goes to a poly university who was offered a place at Oxford.

EDIT: Just realised this is an old thread! :tongue:

As much as I'm glad that your friend is enjoying their times at university, I think people are fools to turn down a place at Oxford. (I'm born and raised in Oxford, so yes I realise that the whole public school-dominated, "Old Boys' Network", pretentious reputation does put some people off.)
Reply 77
Original post by SebCross

Having said that, it is irksome that people are so insistent upon criticising the so-called 'lesser' universities. I'm off to read English at The University of Southampton in the autumn and the whole looking down upon people at Solent is non-sense, from my point of view. Go to the university where you think you'll be happiest, wherever that may be. And that's the end of it. Though as I've said, you'd be a fool to turn down an Oxbridge offer...
Original post by Tasha.Marshall
First of all, I would like to say that I did hear negative feedback about the uni before I applied but I decided to give the uni a chance. So I apply and they ask me for an interview. Me and my dad travel 3 hours to the uni only to find out that they had our interview date wrong and they even put me down for the wrong course! So we ask if we can see anyone now since we had travelled a long way and they say no. They then finally say that there is another fashion photography portfolio viewing at 2 that day (it was 10am at the time). So we waited hours for this interview, sitting around doing nothing, we weren't allowed to go anywhere and it pouring with rain outside. People were rude, I even had this man tellling me how awful the university was and how the people were arrogant and that I shouldn't go here. Anyway, the time finally comes, and guess what? We don't get a one on one interview. They don't even see you. We were asked to leave our portfolios on the tables, leave the room and come back an hour and a half later. We wait around for ages again, come back very annoyed since I was expecting a personal interview. But we were positive, maybe they might give feedback when we return. They were 25 minutes late, we all had to wait outside for this long until they finally tell us to come in. We sit down all comfortable, and they tell us to go!! That's it. The whole interview. They took one hour and a half to go through 18 portfolios when it wouldn't have been much longer to go through them individually. There were enough of them there to do this!! We were so annoyed!!! And guess what.. I didn't even get accepted, they bloody declined me.

I think this really shows how utterly rubbish this really university is.:mad:

AGREE?

no, dont agree at all! you can not say the university is "rubbish" if you never even went there. Its a good uni, its really good for certain courses, only because they've made mistake doesn't mean they are a bad institute. they are only human, everyone makes mistakes.
Reply 79
Hi!

I want to study abroad, and I found Maritime Business a quite interesting direction. I have gotten into Maritime Business courses at Plymouth U, Southampton Solent and Liverpool John Moores.

I don't know why, but Southampton appeals to me the most. Maybe it's because I've heard that there are a lot of Norwegians there (I'm Norwegian), and that the southern cities have a great night life, or maybe it's because the city is not too far away from London (weekend-trips etc.) Though I have gotten to understand that Solent have a bad rep, and that a lot of the students are dissatisfied. But I've heard that the maritime faculty is not that bad.

I've been to Liverpool a couple of times. It's a pretty nice city, but I don't think the people there are too friendly, and I have an impression that there are a lot of violence. Though, it is a larger city and that often mean better shopping and night life (remember the violence though). The reputation of Liverpool John Moores I know nothing about.

Plymouth is out of the question, because it's too much of a hassle going home to Norway in the holidays, and the city is not of close proximity to any big cities like Southamtpon is to London, and Liverpool is to Manchester. And as far as I know, the course does not have an optional industrial placement-year.

I would have to say that right now well-being, safety and nightlife are the most important factors for me choosing a place to study. The courses are not different enough for me to choose one or another. Could anyone tell me with a serious and well argumented reply, why I should choose Solent or LJM?

Latest

Trending

Trending