The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
You don't need to tell us how **** it is. It's only a couple above London Met & South Bank overall. I highly doubt it is even worthy of handing out degrees.
(edited 12 years ago)
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 81
Wow, so much hate for Solent in this thread.
Reply 82
Original post by chrislpp
You don't need to tell us how **** it is. It's only a couple above London Met & South Bank overall. I highly doubt it is even worthy of handing out degrees.

Believe me they did struggle giving out results this year
Original post by SanAndreas
Hi!

I want to study abroad, and I found Maritime Business a quite interesting direction. I have gotten into Maritime Business courses at Plymouth U, Southampton Solent and Liverpool John Moores.

I don't know why, but Southampton appeals to me the most. Maybe it's because I've heard that there are a lot of Norwegians there (I'm Norwegian), and that the southern cities have a great night life, or maybe it's because the city is not too far away from London (weekend-trips etc.) Though I have gotten to understand that Solent have a bad rep, and that a lot of the students are dissatisfied. But I've heard that the maritime faculty is not that bad.

I've been to Liverpool a couple of times. It's a pretty nice city, but I don't think the people there are too friendly, and I have an impression that there are a lot of violence. Though, it is a larger city and that often mean better shopping and night life (remember the violence though). The reputation of Liverpool John Moores I know nothing about.

Plymouth is out of the question, because it's too much of a hassle going home to Norway in the holidays, and the city is not of close proximity to any big cities like Southamtpon is to London, and Liverpool is to Manchester. And as far as I know, the course does not have an optional industrial placement-year.

I would have to say that right now well-being, safety and nightlife are the most important factors for me choosing a place to study. The courses are not different enough for me to choose one or another. Could anyone tell me with a serious and well argumented reply, why I should choose Solent or LJM?

utter bull****

we have repeatedly been voted friendliest city in the uk
Reply 84
Original post by clo-clo1
Believe me they did struggle giving out results this year

What a shambles that was!

Luckily I was up early on results day due to travelling and managed to see mine at 6am!
I just have a thing to say… Students don’t give admissions counselors enough credit. My mom has been in admissions for about 10 years and she’s always busy with open houses, getting together every persons schedule, checking dates, looking at applications, answering emails, dealing with stupid kids and their ******* parents, setting up interviews, and conducting admissions workshops and tests, and that’s only on a private high school level. It must be a million times worse for college admissions because they get applications by the THOUSANDS.
All admissions staff works over breaks and even through summer. They have to go through everything to make sure that you are a good fit for the school and the school is a good fit for you.
So like… If they mess up, you could give them a little slack because they are ALWAYS working. Please, please, please have a bit of respect and some patience with the admissions people. They get stressed too. They have a lot to do and not a lot of time. Their time is just as precious as yours and it would make it easier for everyone if, through this college process, you could have a bit of compassion and be courteous with the admission staff.

That's all.
Original post by sapioexpat
I just have a thing to say… Students don’t give admissions counselors enough credit. My mom has been in admissions for about 10 years and she’s always busy with open houses, getting together every persons schedule, checking dates, looking at applications, answering emails, dealing with stupid kids and their ******* parents, setting up interviews, and conducting admissions workshops and tests, and that’s only on a private high school level. It must be a million times worse for college admissions because they get applications by the THOUSANDS.
All admissions staff works over breaks and even through summer. They have to go through everything to make sure that you are a good fit for the school and the school is a good fit for you.
So like… If they mess up, you could give them a little slack because they are ALWAYS working. Please, please, please have a bit of respect and some patience with the admissions people. They get stressed too. They have a lot to do and not a lot of time. Their time is just as precious as yours and it would make it easier for everyone if, through this college process, you could have a bit of compassion and be courteous with the admission staff.

That's all.

Why are you bumping a 3 year old thread?
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Why are you bumping a 3 year old thread?

I didn't realize it was three years old until yesterday, thank you.
Reply 88
Is anyone currently doing a sports journalism degree at solent?
Original post by Jev
I dunno why some people who aren't even from a Southampton based uni are posting in here...

I've had no problems with Solent, in fact I've had an amazing time here. I can see why it gets a bad rap and there are some courses that are questionable but at the end of the day you're going to get people who want to do these courses that aren't offered anywhere else.

I'm sorry to hear about your interview problem but from what I know you're just an unfortunate one-off. Doesn't make it excusable though. My interview went really well, was really organised and on time etc.

I agree with the guy that recently posted about Solent offering the best course for him and that he would have to go to Plymouth to find a course to rival it. I'm guessing from his post he's either doing a media/music and I have to agree the lecturers, equipment and resources for these courses are amazing.

what courses are questionable?
Original post by gllllll37
what courses are questionable?

Hi @gllllll37 it's probably best to post in this forum: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5055454&page=3
as this current forum is very old and outdated. Let me know if you have any questions though :smile:
Original post by SanAndreas
Hi!

I want to study abroad, and I found Maritime Business a quite interesting direction. I have gotten into Maritime Business courses at Plymouth U, Southampton Solent and Liverpool John Moores.

I don't know why, but Southampton appeals to me the most. Maybe it's because I've heard that there are a lot of Norwegians there (I'm Norwegian), and that the southern cities have a great night life, or maybe it's because the city is not too far away from London (weekend-trips etc.) Though I have gotten to understand that Solent have a bad rep, and that a lot of the students are dissatisfied. But I've heard that the maritime faculty is not that bad.

I've been to Liverpool a couple of times. It's a pretty nice city, but I don't think the people there are too friendly, and I have an impression that there are a lot of violence. Though, it is a larger city and that often mean better shopping and night life (remember the violence though). The reputation of Liverpool John Moores I know nothing about.

Plymouth is out of the question, because it's too much of a hassle going home to Norway in the holidays, and the city is not of close proximity to any big cities like Southamtpon is to London, and Liverpool is to Manchester. And as far as I know, the course does not have an optional industrial placement-year.

I would have to say that right now well-being, safety and nightlife are the most important factors for me choosing a place to study. The courses are not different enough for me to choose one or another. Could anyone tell me with a serious and well argumented reply, why I should choose Solent or LJM?

Hi! I'm in the exact same situation! Could you tell me where you ended up studying?
My main options are Plymouth and Solent, and I can't seem to decide.
Reply 92
I just accepted an offer from Solent university for makeup and hair design god I am so scared!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending