The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I like both places, but Id prefer to live in Bristol.
Avoid thinking about university reputations because they're just jizz for TSR nerds with nothing better to masturbate over.
As a student, I think I'd go for Bristol, although you do tend to get a lot of stuck up people who aren't as clever as they think they are...
Captain Nebula
There's a university in BANGOR?

I'd go to Bangor, purely because of the Dinner ladies episode that references the song "Didn'[t we have a lovely time that day we went to Bangor?", and you'd be able to annoy everyone by constantly singing it.

Different Bangor. The song is about the Bangor in Ireland. :wink: Or so my mum says...

OP, go where you'll be happiest. Bangor isn't a bad uni at all (and for psychology it isn't too bad in the rankings-20 something). Both my parents went to uni there and they say it is very pretty and not a bad place at all-plus it's in just the right place for weekend trips to Ireland. :smile:

It all comes down to whether you want somewhere quiet and small or somewhere a bit bigger and more lively.

Personally, the isolation was what put me off Aber (even though I love the course) because I just can't see myself being happy in such a small place for four years. But that's not always important to some people; and there's almost always the opportunity for part time jobs in uni towns, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Just go with whichever one feels right for you.
Reply 22
omgmanthissucks
where else have you applied OP?

Accepted into Bangor, Glasgow, Exeter, Bristol and still waiting to hear from Edinburgh.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone =].

This isn't a troll. I'm genuinely torn. I live in the countryside, so I wouldn't miss city life (I've never experienced it) so that's why both options are completely plausible for me. Bristol would be more of a shock to the system for me in terms of lifestyle. Bangor's supposed to be a great experience too. The offer for Bristol is obviously far more steep, but hopefully still attainable. But anyway, keep the opinions coming, I'm taking them all onboard. Thanks =]
Personally, I'd go to Bristol or one of the Scottish universities. It's your choice, but I'd think, without commenting on Bangor's department, that you'd want to go somewhere you'd be sure to find [positively] challenging, not to mention eventual career considerations.
Nandika
Accepted into Bangor, Glasgow, Exeter, Bristol and still waiting to hear from Edinburgh.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone =].

This isn't a troll. I'm genuinely torn. I live in the countryside, so I wouldn't miss city life (I've never experienced it) so that's why both options are completely plausible for me. Bristol would be more of a shock to the system for me in terms of lifestyle. Bangor's supposed to be a great experience too. The offer for Bristol is obviously far more steep, but hopefully still attainable. But anyway, keep the opinions coming, I'm taking them all onboard. Thanks =]

Are you definitely set on Bangor or Bristol or are you also considering the others? You have some great offers!
Bristol x100 seriously seriously seriously.
Reply 26
omgmanthissucks
Are you definitely set on Bangor or Bristol or are you also considering the others? You have some great offers!

If I get an offer from Edinburgh I would seriously consider it aswell =]. But I was completely set on Bangor, but now Bristol is tempting me, so yes it is a tie breaker between those two as it stands. I'm hoping Edinburgh might accept me, ,but not counting on it at this point. I'm so bad at decision making anyway, another offer might just confuse me more xP Lol
Nandika
If I get an offer from Edinburgh I would seriously consider it aswell =]. But I was completely set on Bangor, but now Bristol is tempting me, so yes it is a tie breaker between those two as it stands. I'm hoping Edinburgh might accept me, ,but not counting on it at this point. I'm so bad at decision making anyway, another offer might just confuse me more xP Lol

I think that if Edinburgh accepts you then go there and if not you should go to Bristol just because it would benefit you in the long term. I know prestige isn't everything but it's not as if you are trying to choose between two universities that are academically similar and you obviously have good grades and so should want to be challenged at university :smile: but obviously if you absolutely hate Bristol then go for Bangor because you'll be happier there. Have you visited Bristol?
Reply 28
I'm a student at Bangor but I'd advise you to go to Bristol, it has a great reputation for psychology and there's not much to do in Bangor
heidigirl
Different Bangor. The song is about the Bangor in Ireland. :wink: Or so my mum says...

OP, go where you'll be happiest. Bangor isn't a bad uni at all (and for psychology it isn't too bad in the rankings-20 something). Both my parents went to uni there and they say it is very pretty and not a bad place at all-plus it's in just the right place for weekend trips to Ireland. :smile:

It all comes down to whether you want somewhere quiet and small or somewhere a bit bigger and more lively.

Personally, the isolation was what put me off Aber (even though I love the course) because I just can't see myself being happy in such a small place for four years. But that's not always important to some people; and there's almost always the opportunity for part time jobs in uni towns, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Just go with whichever one feels right for you.

Well that's no fun at all!
What a bunch of coniving *******.
TO BRISTOL!!
I've already commented on this on your fb (TT!) so I'm not gonna repeat here, I was just commenting on this to subscribe to the thread and see what other people think...
Bristol.

but r u gona bangor doe ?
Reply 32
If I was in your position it would be between Exeter and Bristol. I'm from the south-west though and I think location is often one of the most important factors when it comes to firming a university. Many people don't seem to consider location at first (I certainly didn't), but when it comes to making a decision it suddenly becomes one of the most important things.

I applied for Edinburgh OP. I loved the university, but hated the city and Edinburgh was just too far away. My advice would be to firm Bristol and have Bangor as an insurance that you know you'd be happy to go to. I know I would happily choose Exeter, Bristol or Edinburgh over Bangor though.
Go to an open day at each university and pick whichever university you like the most.
Phantom_X
Bristol.

but r u gona bangor doe ?

Shame on you.
Reply 35
Take into consideration the course in the third year.
What is Bangor? Sounds like a peice of ****, probably 'cause it is! In other words, please do yourself a favour and go to Bristol, you'll be amongst much socially acceptable people with real futures.
xarcul
I really hope this is a troll.

Otherwise, you're an idiot.

Ditto.

Oh and this is a funny video by a Bristol Student. (I don't think they are all this posh: which would probably push you to Wales, but...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJY73GgkvWg)
Reply 38
Bristol for sure, I'd never even heard of the University of Bagor, let alone it being in the same league as Bristol, Exeter and Edinburgh! Unfortunate as it it, you really do have to take the reputation of the University into consideration as it's one of (if not the) first thing employers look at. A 2:1 from Bristol (for example) would be much higher that a 1:1 from Bangor (I would assume, although don't take my word for writ)! Good luck with whatever you decide but, I'm suprised it's even a toss up! By the way, ignore the person above who's talking about social acceptability - unless you're seriously narrow minded, the social backgrounds of other students really shouldn't be a consideration! X
I would say you should pick the place you will feel most comfortable at. It can make a huge difference. I've had friends drop out of 'good' universities because they were unhappy, and as a result were not getting the most out of their time there, who are very happy now at different universities [their grades reflect this shift in mood]. :smile:

Bangor is a lovely place with a good Psychology department. I found it to be really friendly and have quite a few friends there who adore it [whenever one of us visit, we fall in love with the place too]. It is a small sort of place but beautifully situated between the water and the mountains with relatively good links to places like Chester, Manchester etc...

I'd recommend looking at the course content - is there any area you especially want to study, and if so, do both places offer it? Similarly, you mentioned you might feel trapped living in a smaller place - it is definitely something to consider. I think it is a decision only you can make - maybe a list of pros and cons might help. :smile:

Latest