The Student Room Group

Bangor or Bristol University? Opinions please :-)

Poll

Which university do you think is better?

hey guys.

I've got conditional offers for Psychology from both universities, and I'm totally torn. Both courses are good, so that's not an issue. Bangor is such a nice community, but Bristol's a city and got so much more going on in terms of opportunities such as part-time jobs.

So far I'm kinda swaying towards Bangor, but I'd hate to get there and then feel trapped because it's quite small and isolated, so if you have any advice or preferences, or are a student at either uni I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Bristol's reputation is higher than that of Bangor's. Choose the one you think you're going to be most comfortable at.
Bristol has a far better repuatation than Bangor.

Go to Bristol. Don't even think about going to Bangor. :eek3:
Reply 3
yeah i guess im biased (offer at bristol too) but i would say, bristol does have a better reputation/higher in league tables than bangor. this is good for job prospects afterwards maybe. however, this is not a strong enough reason to go to a uni. uni is meant to be the best time of your life, and if you feel bangor will make you happier- then go there or forever regret it !

i defs reccommend looking around both uni's again before making such an important decision.:o:
Reply 4
I would say Bristol.
Troll?
Reply 6
Bristol has a high reputation.

Bangor has the word 'bang' in it. Your call.
Reply 7
On rankings and prestige without a doubt Bristol.
Though remember to go where you like the most,you will have to live there for three years.
Reply 8
Nandika
hey guys.

I've got conditional offers for Psychology from both universities, and I'm totally torn. Both courses are good, so that's not an issue. Bangor is such a nice community, but Bristol's a city and got so much more going on in terms of opportunities such as part-time jobs.

So far I'm kinda swaying towards Bangor, but I'd hate to get there and then feel trapped because it's quite small and isolated, so if you have any advice or preferences, or are a student at either uni I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks! :smile:

I really hope this is a troll.

Otherwise, you're an idiot.
Bristol...
James4d
Bristol has a high reputation.

Bangor has the word 'bang' in it. Your call.

LOL
Reply 11
Bristol
Reply 12
I know someone who went to Bangor who said it is good if you like sheep, nothingness and being bored. Bristol all the way
As someone that's applied to Bangor I'd say Bangor but in your position I'd pick Bristol, it is a much better university, although Bangor does have the advantage of being a beautiful place - it's not a shoddy university either, and, Danny Boyle went there so...
Reply 14
Yes, I agree with pretty much everyone else on here. Prestige is the thing that counts, let's be honest. Prestige is THE most important thing when choosing what university to go to. Obviously.

Seriously OP, go where you'll be happiest. If you'd prefer somewhere that's a bit calmer, perhaps a bit more of a bubble, go to Bangor. If you want a busy city life, go to Bristol. Have you visited both universities? If not, I suggest you do so as it'll really help give you a feel of each place.
Reply 15
Bristol is often seen as an alternative to Oxbridge (Bangor never is). I don't normally recommend prestige as a way of deciding where to go, but the gulf between these to universities is huge and you would probably be underwhelmed by the the calibre of staff and students at Bangor.
There's a university in BANGOR?

I'd go to Bangor, purely because of the Dinner ladies episode that references the song "Didn'[t we have a lovely time that day we went to Bangor?", and you'd be able to annoy everyone by constantly singing it.
I'd pick Bristol in your position (though I am slightly biased asI already go here XD). Like others have said, prestige isn't always something which should be the deciding factor, but there is a massive difference between the two and psychology is so popular graduates face tough competition, so Bristol will help here.

If you really do love Bangor though and have your heart set on it then go there. You're going to be there for several years and you want to be happy :smile:. If you don't think you'll be overly happy at Bristol then dont pick it.
where else have you applied OP?
just thought id add that maybe you could put Bristol as your firm and Bangor as your insurance, presuming Bristol's offer is higher?

Latest